Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with irish symbols!

Options
  • 16-08-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am thinking of getting my first tattoo. I've decided on my foot, as I don't want it anywhere too obvious. I want a fairly small one, and i'd really like to get a symbol (one single symbol, rather than a few characters combined) of friendship. however, i'm not mad about the idea of getting a chinese character or something like that, i'd like it to be something more personal and closer to home. I'd really love something irish, but as far as i know, there is no kind of irish writing that is based on symbols. even ogham is based on an actual alphabet rather than symbols, isn't it? does anyone know of any, even a VERY old system of writing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Sara3305 wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting my first tattoo. I've decided on my foot, as I don't want it anywhere too obvious. I want a fairly small one, and i'd really like to get a symbol (one single symbol, rather than a few characters combined) of friendship. however, i'm not mad about the idea of getting a chinese character or something like that, i'd like it to be something more personal and closer to home. I'd really love something irish, but as far as i know, there is no kind of irish writing that is based on symbols. even ogham is based on an actual alphabet rather than symbols, isn't it? does anyone know of any, even a VERY old system of writing?
    Sorry Sara3305, but there isn't any. The closest you might get is that each of the Ogam letters was also known by a tree-name, like O was an ash tree.
    Maybe some of the old clans might have used some kind of symbol of comradery. Might be something in one of my books, I'll let you know if I find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sara3305

that would be brilliant, thanks so much for the reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Soswozere

How about the Claddagh?
    Two hanks holding a heart - irish symbol of love

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sara3305

Soswozere wrote: »
    How about the Claddagh?
    Two hanks holding a heart - irish symbol of love

i did think of that, and i think it looks really nice on some parts of the body, but i don't think it's the right shape for the foot?

Advertisement