Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Baby!!

• 16-08-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey everyone!

I have loads of questions. Hopefully you can all help me!

My period was due on the 25th-27th of July. It didn't come so on the 9th August I done a pregnancy test. It came back positive.
    My periods normally last about 7days and would normally finish on the 1st 2nd of the next month. I am trying to calculate my cycle but my brain is a bit mush at the moment and I keep getting it different.

I've been looking on different sites at it and when i register i get different answers one says I'm eight weeks pregnant and the other says three weeks four days. Agh....what am I?

I have my first prenatal appointment with the hospital tomorrow. What should I expect?

I am in Menorca now but want to have the baby at home in Ireland. Most likely Wexford. Is the General hospital a good place to have it?

Oh god I think I have more questions but these are all I can think of now.

Thanks for any responses!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Hi there

The doctors will go by the first date of your last period. For example my last one was the 18th of June so today Im 8 weeks and 4 days :D I think as they start scanning your dates may change, but thats how they'll do it at your appt tomorrow.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

congrats! :D

The first way of measuring how far along you are is to use the date of your last period so you add 4 weeks automatically.

Having said that you won't get your exact due date until you have the 12 week scan done. I had a private early scan at 9 weeks which measured me at 10 weeks and then I had my 12 week scan in the hospital and it knocked another few days off again.

Your cycle has alot to do with it, for instance I had a regular 21-24 day cycle and only rarely had a 28 day cycle so I jumped a week and a half but if my cycle had've been longer than 28 days I might've been less far along than I thought. Personally I find it all very confusing so I just do as I'm told!

Best to just wait and see what the doctor says tomorrow and use that as a guide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

congrats! :D

The first way of measuring how far along you are is to use the date of your last period so you add 4 weeks automatically.

Having said that you won't get your exact due date until you have the 12 week scan done. I had a private early scan at 9 weeks which measured me at 10 weeks and then I had my 12 week scan in the hospital and it knocked another few days off again.

Your cycle has alot to do with it, for instance I had a regular 21-24 day cycle and only rarely had a 28 day cycle so I jumped a week and a half but if my cycle had've been longer than 28 days I might've been less far along than I thought. Personally I find it all very confusing so I just do as I'm told!

Best to just wait and see what the doctor says tomorrow and use that as a guide.

would you mind telling me where you had your private scan done?
    if you dont mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Baby Scan in rathgar. They have a website so google them and they gave other clinics around the country. There is another company called Ultrasound, again google them.

I think we paid €120

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hey everyone!

I have loads of questions. Hopefully you can all help me!

My period was due on the 25th-27th of July. It didn't come so on the 9th August I done a pregnancy test. It came back positive.
    My periods normally last about 7days and would normally finish on the 1st 2nd of the next month. I am trying to calculate my cycle but my brain is a bit mush at the moment and I keep getting it different.

I've been looking on different sites at it and when i register i get different answers one says I'm eight weeks pregnant and the other says three weeks four days. Agh....what am I?

I have my first prenatal appointment with the hospital tomorrow. What should I expect?

I am in Menorca now but want to have the baby at home in Ireland. Most likely Wexford. Is the General hospital a good place to have it?

Oh god I think I have more questions but these are all I can think of now.

Thanks for any responses!

There is probably going to be a huge difference in maternity care here,your 1st hospital appointment will be nearer 16 weeks..
    Ring Wexford hospital when you make a decision and talk to them so that continuity of care can be organised between the 2 hospitals.

Looked up the mother and baby scheme in Ireland too.

Also,
    Congrats:)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There is probably going to be a huge difference in maternity care here,your 1st hospital appointment will be nearer 16 weeks..
    Ring Wexford hospital when you make a decision and talk to them so that continuity of care can be organised between the 2 hospitals.

Looked up the mother and baby scheme in Ireland too.

Also,
    Congrats:)))

you can get first apts at 11-13 weeks in some maternity hospitals...

menorcababy, if you can, try and get into the wexford DOMINO scheme, they have a great house of their own (midwives, that is) outside the hospital and it's apparently lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 menorcababy

Hiya,

No scan yet getting that now on the 26th. They still haven't told me how pregnant I am!

But done bloods and urine the other day and all that came back fine.

I'm in Menorca far quicker healthcare here than at home.

Thanks for telling me about the domino in Wex gonna look that up now!

Thanks all!

Advertisement