Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What game would make you buy a new console?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a mate about Shenmue 3, and we both agreed we'd buy a new console if we didn't own the system it came out on. That led onto 'what games would make you buy a new console just to play them?' What exclusives would you pick up a PS3 for, if you only have an xbox, and vice versa? Have you already done that for something like Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 or Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube?

Personally, I'd buy a new console for Shenmue 3, a new Grandia or Chrono Trigger game, possily a new Resident Evil or Final Fantasy if it looked like a return to form.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 only really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wait for the first game to come out that I simply must have and then buy the console unless it's a nintendo console. Always gauranteed great games on them and the wii launch day was so much fun queuing from 6am outside smyths that I'll be doing it again when the 3DS is launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

None.

I'm sticking to PC from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I bought a ps3 for Metal Gear Solid 4 and its the only ps3 game i own looking for some more good ps3 only games as i get all my 360 games for free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I don't think any one game is really enough to justify me getting a console. Paying like 500 euro for MGS4 on PS3 back in the day is a good example of this.

Fortunately there's enough good exclusive titles and a few other differences that makes it worth my while owning a ps3 and 360 (although it really comes down to selection on 360 vs some good exclusives & blu ray on the ps3, if I had less money Id make do with a 360 tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

None, i love pc games, last console was a ps2 and was quite hard not to get a ps3 so i could continue playing Final Fantasy games but got over that. most games i want to play are for pc also like Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2.

Plus pc has Starcraft 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't think there's any game now that would make me buy a console, not even duke nukem forever. The console itself would have to be good - powerful, cheap, cheap games, install mods, high customisability. Basically the console would have to be a PC.
    There'd have to be a lot of games to tempt me too. No single game is worth the price of a console to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I might go console again for a Zone of the Enders Threequel. Even Ace Combat is still a stretch. And yes, I could just buy a PS2 out of a flea market bin somewhere but... meh. I played that **** to death.

And why haven't they ported Steel Battalion to PC? Those bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

bought the ps1 for pro evolution soccer, n64 for golden eye, ps2 for vice city, wii and ds for zelda, 360 for bio shock. A good game is the deal clencher for me. Little big planet almost made me get a ps3 but i got sense

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ps2 for Pro evo and GTA 3
    N64 for Mario
    GC for Mario Sunshine
    Wii for Zelda
    Xbox for Gta 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,995 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Last Guardian has me seriously contemplating buying a PS3.

Plus I'd also be able to play Demon's Souls while I'm at it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You need to get on the Demon's Souls train quick. When it's servers go down you won't be able to play with the online features that make the game. It and Valkyria Chronicles are worth the price of a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I bought a PS3 this year just to play Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain. Both tremendous games in every respect. I was blown away by Uncharted 2. Well worth it.

Though I get all my X360 games for free so I rarely play it now. I'll probably buy Gran Turismo 5 for the graphics alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The reason I bought a PS2 was for MGS2 and the reason I bought a PS3 was for MGS4. I've no regrets. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Reason I bought the 360 was for Mass Effect, so probably Mass Effect 3, a new Elder Scrolls(although I'd probably get a new PC for that) and probably a new GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

I bought a Gamecube for the Resident Evil games and I bought a PS3 for MGS4 and don't regret either. I would buy a new console for a new RE game if it went back to being more like a survival horror game, the last one was too actiony imo, or if they remade RE2+3.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

titan18 wrote: »
    Reason I bought the 360 was for Mass Effect, so probably Mass Effect 3, a new Elder Scrolls(although I'd probably get a new PC for that) and probably a new GTA
    All of which are on PC :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

The reason I bought a PS2 was for MGS2 and the reason I bought a PS3 was for MGS4. I've no regrets. :cool:

Same reason for me also

I got a copy of MGS4 for free and regret playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Overheal wrote: »
    All of which are on PC :confused:

As much as I love PC gaming, SC2 atm or TF2,CSS etc, Mass Effect and GTA weren't great on the PC.Played Mass Effect 1 and GTA:VC and SA on PC after playing the console versions and I found that they were better on console.Oblivion and Morrowind were much better on PC though.

Also, I have proper save games carried through Mass Effect 1 and 2, so not getting it on the 360 or a future console that carried on those save games wouldn't be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I bought a Gamecube just for Resident Evil 4 don't really regret it best game of last gen in my personal opinion.Bought a 360 just to play Gears & early next gen titles,just couldn't wait for the PS3 to deliver.I'm hearing Rumours Sony is getting previous MS Exclusive titles Left 4 Dead & Mass Effect,it may be announced at Gamescom tomorrow.If this is true its a GIGANTIC blow to the Xbox 360 all it'll have is Halo & Gears while sony has Uncharted,God of War,LittleBigPlanet & so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im glad Fable 3 is coming out on PC cos thats a game which is shaping up to be something Im really looking forward to playing. Ive never played any of the old games and I like what Im reading about this one. I think if it was a 360 exclusive, it would really have me debating the merits of buying the console........................ still wouldnt though id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got a copy of MGS4 for free and regret playing it.
    I never understood the hate for MGS4, I liked it, but then I also liked 2 and couldn't understand all the complaining people were doing about Raiden. I personally think 3 was the worst, although most seemed to like it, but having said all that none of them come close to 1, I would probably buy a console just to play that if they made an updated HD version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PC.

I used to love consoles. But I grew tired of:

a) Expensive hardware initially
    b) More expensive games
    c) A subscription to play online and to get premium content

I built a PC and it's worked out cheaper after buying 20 games compared to buying a new 360, subscription and 20 new games.

A new Zelda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

GT5 so far is the only game tempting me to buy a ps3 even then there needs to be at least another great exclusive to tempt me cause most games are multi now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I bought my XBox for GTA IV (and only picked XBox because of the future DLC stuff), but was tempted with the PS3 at the time. However, turned out to be the better choice as it's the console most of my friends have and I've really got a lot out of the console.

So yes, a really good game will make me consider it alright. But a really good game will make me consider an upgrade to my PC too and I'll end up spending as much as I would on a console just buying a new graphics card, so I guess I'm doomed either way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

reason i bought the xbox was for halo 3 (i know but i was a big Halo fanboy back then :o). was going to sell it on after i finished it but decided to keep it instead cos i got addicted to Oblivion, and that took up over 6 months to do everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A new Zelda.
    A new Zelda that didn't require using the nun chucks and remote. Top dollar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

None.

I'm sticking to PC from now on.
    In that case, what game would make you fork out for an upgrade?

For me it would probably be Elder Scrolls 5 or a new X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter.

If I didn't have an Xbox, I'd consider getting one and Kinect for Fable 3 and the same goes for a PS3 for Uncharted 1 and 2 and Heavy Rain.

Advertisement