Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out: Vespa ET4 a good idea?

• 16-08-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been considering getting a scooter for awhile now and have just been offered a Vespa ET4 for a great price.

I've never used a 'two wheeler' on the public road so I'm interested in peoples opinions.
    Are these good bikes? I hear Vespas are built well?
    I have a full B licence,but no Catagory A.
    Also I belive the ET4 is 125cc so will that cause me problems given that it'll be my first bike?

Allso any tips on good insurance companies?

Thanks
    Corglass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Why a scooter? Would you not prefer a 'proper' motorbike or is it that you have a thing for scooters?

If it's over 50cc, you'll have to get a Learner's Permit for category A

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alpomb

The honda innova is a great machine. One of my friends had one of them. It's a 125.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As a matter if interest, what's the largest cc you can get in a scooter? I guess it's 125cc, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alpomb

Well the honda silverwing is a 582cc scooter. Not sure if there's any bigger than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

I started out on an ET4 because I needed to be able to drive straight away and hadn't the time to learn about gears and so forth. The shop I bought from gave me a 5 minute lesson and that was all it took to drive it. Confidence came with more experience but I just took it easy at first instead of trying to race anyone or skip lines of traffic (unless I had an empty bus lane to take advantage of). It's a great bike. I was doing 12 miles each way each day on dual carriageway and normal city roads. After about a year I took lessons on a bike and took my test. I passed it first time and I'm convinced much of the credit for that is down to the road hours clocked up on the ET4. My wife has been driving it for the past year and is now taking lessons toward her bike test.

Go for it OP. It's a great starter bike as well as just a great bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I'm in a similiar situation, I wonder can anyone help, I have been a scooter enthusiast since a child and have had a modern vespa between the ages of 17 - 20.... I'm now looking into getting a new vespa and having it as a run around when I go home on weekends from work and to go to shows with the Vespa club... can anyone through any insight onto how much classic insurance would cost on a 1966 vespa 125cc engine, bearing in mind I am 23, can i avail of classic insurance, somebody told me you must be 25.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cantdecide wrote: »
    Why a scooter? Would you not prefer a 'proper' motorbike or is it that you have a thing for scooters?

If it's over 50cc, you'll have to get a Learner's Permit for category A

jeez......get over it already.........

OP I have a 125cc Vespa and a 500cc Aprilia scooter, and, to keep cantdecide happy, a 'proper' motorbike, as well. All have their uses, all are excellent at something, and I wouldn't sell one over the other.

I'm afraid you're stuck on a 50, though, with Class M. Nothing wrong with that though, as you've no test or anything, and it'll give you an idea of whether 2 wheels are for you or not, with minimal expense.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement