Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Accounts in the UK

Options
  • 16-08-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey,

I'm moving to London in September to start uni. Have been looking at the various student accounts with the different banks, however all of them say you have to be 3 years resident in the UK to apply for the bank account.

Is there any way around this or is there a special international student account that any of the banks do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/current-accounts/passport

You should try the banks around the uni again when you have an address with bills in your name etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

AFAIK all student accounts have that condition (mine has a UK nationality requirement but they haven't enforced it with me so far...)

You can open a regular account with no issues though. I know the benefits (i.e. free overdraft :D) aren't the same but it would get you through basic banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Your university should be able to give you a letter saying you are a student at the university and you can present that to the bank when you go to open your account. At my registration day the uni asked me if I wanted one and they just printed it out and I brought it down to my local Lloyds branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Stephen REA37G

I've done that with Lloyds (was over in London on Weds). Got a letter from the uni to say I was going to be studying there. But they still wouldn't give me a student account because of the 3 year residence thing...

Advertisement