Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

• 16-08-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the deal is for repeating first year? Got a few repeats, dunno if I'll pass them all, just wanna be prepared.

Or can u progress to 2nd year with a certain amount of credits?

any and all info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

im pretty sure they told us ya have to pass everything to progress or repeat the module in 2nd year but im baffeled as how that would work :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

donfarrell wrote: »
    im pretty sure they told us ya have to pass everything to progress or repeat the module in 2nd year but im baffeled as how that would work :S

Yeah some of the lads in my class had to repeat a first year modules in second year, I think they let you carry 1 or two.. it also depends on the year your going into, as they'll decide it's just not possible for you to manage to do the normal 5 or 6 with 2 or 1 added on. Especially if you couldn't manage in the first place. Resulting in a repeat of a year. But don't get to worried, plenty of the guys I know managed it, although it's a neverending cycle ... as the subjects most people fail are the ones they don't like, and having to attend them all over again isn't exactly an incentive. Half dropped out, a quarter are doing just fine and another quarter are repeating the year, that is based on the numbers that failed the august repeats.

So yeah it's do-able to carry the modules... but it's gonna be tough, although once you've got them out of the way though it's plain sailing all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

brendanL wrote: »
    Yeah some of the lads in my class had to repeat a first year modules in second year, I think they let you carry 1 or two.. it also depends on the year your going into, as they'll decide it's just not possible for you to manage to do the normal 5 or 6 with 2 or 1 added on. Especially if you couldn't manage in the first place. Resulting in a repeat of a year. But don't get to worried, plenty of the guys I know managed it, although it's a neverending cycle ... as the subjects most people fail are the ones they don't like, and having to attend them all over again isn't exactly an incentive. Half dropped out, a quarter are doing just fine and another quarter are repeating the year, that is based on the numbers that failed the august repeats.

So yeah it's do-able to carry the modules... but it's gonna be tough, although once you've got them out of the way though it's plain sailing all the way.

It's not that I couldn't manage, I just did so little CA due to pure laziness :P and the subject I hated most I did fine in :rolleyes:

I don't plan to drop out, regardless if I have to repeat (which will suck but gotta be done if it's gotta be done), so was just wondering what to expect if I in fact don't pass all my repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

You can carry one or two failed modules...
    2. Students must have achieved a minimum of 50 credits and a GPA of 1.66 in the academic year in question, or 40 credits in the case of students on Erasmus exchange programmes.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I had a defferal. I know i failed one. When do i repeat that??

• Advertisement

The repeats are in August. (They're on now.) This is for first and second semester.

They might do a repeat session in January but I don't know for sure.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

It all depends on which subjects it is you fail as to how things may fall into place.

Like for computer science first years I think it was Java that was worth the most credits, then Personal and professional dev. Do ok in them and your pretty much set to progress into the following year carrying one or two.

If you repeat the year, you don't have to repeat the modules you've already passed the previous year right? As in if you failed databases and maths, you'd only have to do databases and maths in the repeating year?

KonFusion wrote: »
    If you repeat the year, you don't have to repeat the modules you've already passed the previous year right? As in if you failed databases and maths, you'd only have to do databases and maths in the repeating year?

Yeah you only have to repeat the subjects you failed during that year.

brendanL wrote: »
    Yeah you only have to repeat the subjects you failed during that year.

Thank god! :D but dayum that'll be boring....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Does it cost anything to carry on modules into the year if you fail the repeats ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Around €160 I think, I carried one this year.

You can only carry one from each semester though, which sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

When are the repeat results out??

Exam boards are on the 8th of September so the results are probably out on the 15th.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Aint we back the 13th ? So how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Assuming like 9am on the Monday yes? Don't know if I'm happy about going back or not. Had a lot of repeats, should of passed a fair few, but really do not want to repeat the year again.

If I have to repeat is it possible to just redo the few modules (have to get a job during the year) and leave with a level 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

You can carry 2 subjects max into the next year and there is an extra cost for this but tbh it is very hard to do extra subject as you may end up with two classes at the same time, in my experience its a bad idea to carry a subject unless you want to give up your social life :)

You have to repeat all F or less grades and you may need to repeat D grades to bring your GPA up to the C average 2.0. If you repeat a subject and continue onto another year you have to go to class in the next year for one week before you get your results if you failed a repeat you can then go to your course coordinator and repeat the module(s) but you need to repeat the full year doing only the module you failed.

ITB is great for making sure students get through the course, even if it takes a little longer. Don't give up if you fail a few modules just dig in and you will get there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

vinnyirl wrote: »
    You can carry 2 subjects max into the next year and there is an extra cost for this but tbh it is very hard to do extra subject as you may end up with two classes at the same time, in my experience its a bad idea to carry a subject unless you want to give up your social life :)

You have to repeat all F or less grades and you may need to repeat D grades to bring your GPA up to the C average 2.0. If you repeat a subject and continue onto another year you have to go to class in the next year for one week before you get your results if you failed a repeat you can then go to your course coordinator and repeat the module(s) but you need to repeat the full year doing only the module you failed.

ITB is great for making sure students get through the course, even if it takes a little longer. Don't give up if you fail a few modules just dig in and you will get there in the end.

Lets say you carry 2 subjects do you have to attend the classes or can you just do the exam at the end of the semester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Good Luck To Everyone Getting Results Tomorrow

Advertisement