Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Nasty Deposit Situation

Options
  • 16-08-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I recently moved into a house and I gave a girl who had the lease and occupied the room the deposit who has since moved out. The house is central to Dublin city so alot of people come and go so the norm in the house has been that you find someone else to move in and they give you your deposit back when you leave and so on etc.

The house is operated/owned by a letting agency (it seems like a one man operation, they have no website but are listed on a couple of renting websites and have a gmail business address hmmm...) I have spoken to the landlord a few times and he has sorted a few issues out for me. It seems to be laziness on the part of the letting agency that he doesn't want to deal with deposits.

I let him know I was moving out at the end of this month and he has told me I need to find someone to move in and this person will give me my deposit back. The thing is I'm very rarely in the house due to work and alot of the time the other tenants leave the place in a tip and due to the low volumes of calls I have had, I'm a bit worried I won't get my deposit back.

Do I have any rights in this type of situation (I signed nothing) or is there anything I can do?

I feel like a right old fool to be honest as I should have got something written in paper when I moved in. I'm relatively new to this whole renting business too so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,519 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who did you organise the room with first, if it was the girl I doubt there's much you can do, if it was the letting agency they will need to give it back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

Thanks for your reply.

I dealt with her but I got a letter from the landlord to say that I was living there but it mentions nothing of the deposit.

Am I royally screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you never paid the letting agent a deposit so your not going to get them to return one to you id suggest.

i know technically they have person A's deposit and down the line that technically is your deposit now but as you didnt actually hand them over any money I wouldnt be surprised if they tell you they dont have a deposit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Fruit1985 wrote: »
    I recently moved into a house and I gave a girl who had the lease and occupied the room the deposit who has since moved out. The house is central to Dublin city so alot of people come and go so the norm in the house has been that you find someone else to move in and they give you your deposit back when you leave and so on etc.

The house is operated/owned by a letting agency (it seems like a one man operation, they have no website but are listed on a couple of renting websites and have a gmail business address hmmm...) I have spoken to the landlord a few times and he has sorted a few issues out for me. It seems to be laziness on the part of the letting agency that he doesn't want to deal with deposits.

I let him know I was moving out at the end of this month and he has told me I need to find someone to move in and this person will give me my deposit back. The thing is I'm very rarely in the house due to work and alot of the time the other tenants leave the place in a tip and due to the low volumes of calls I have had, I'm a bit worried I won't get my deposit back.

Do I have any rights in this type of situation (I signed nothing) or is there anything I can do?

I feel like a right old fool to be honest as I should have got something written in paper when I moved in. I'm relatively new to this whole renting business too so any advice is appreciated.

to be honest if you really want your deposit back then you could make
    a bit of an effort. the house cant be that bad as you said yourself that people
    keep coming and going.

you could clean the house up yourself, you could make time to be in the house to show people around, place a good advert on daft and keep renewing it every day to keep it near the top. someone will take surely take it eventually/

its your money at stake at the end of the day, noone else is going to make the effort for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

as far as I understood it from your first explanation, you have to find a new tenant for your room and get your deposit back from him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

And the letting agent has your deposit.

Basically what has happened is

person X gave deposit to letting agent
    person Y moves in
    person X gets person Y's deposit (x n times)
    therefore letting agent essentially has Y's deposit

So letting agent has your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

And the letting agent has your deposit.

Basically what has happened is

person X gave deposit to letting agent
    person Y moves in
    person X gets person Y's deposit (x n times)
    therefore letting agent essentially has Y's deposit

So letting agent has your deposit

no letting agent has person X's deposit. Whilst practically your correct in that the deposit owner should go downstream the fact is the letting agent can easily turn around and say you never gave me a deposit and you havent a leg to stand on.

Advertisement