Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] Program on C4 @ 9pm

Options
  • 16-08-2010 8:52pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got a phone call to tell me this program is on tonight, sorry about the short notice:
    The Hospital
    Monday 16 August
    9:00pm - 10:00pm
    Channel 4

4/5, series 2

Francesca is 15 and has Type 1 diabetes. She's recently been hospitalised having fallen into a coma after a prolonged bout of binge drinking. But she chortles with hollow bravado as she insists: "I do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it." It's no wonder her consultant Dr Richard Savine at Croydon's vividly named Mayday University Hospital looks permanently rueful. He is seeing more and more teens who won't manage their diabetes and don't turn up for their appointments. After he and his staff waste yet another afternoon in an empty clinic, Savine decides to write a polite letter to the non-attendees. He tells us what he really wants to say: "You have cost the NHS 500 quid so will you please submit yourself for a ritual flogging." After this shocking programme, you will be as infuriated as he is.

I've a feeling it may be designed to make me feel a bit guilty as I do quite like the quote in the writeup:
    "I do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I watched that tonight and I was absolutely shocked at the blasé attitude some of the teens had with regards to taking their insulin and checking their blood sugar levels.
    I think the consultant endo summed it up perfectly when he said that trying to control diabetes without checking your blood sugar level regularly is like driving a car blindfolded.
    I also found it interesting when he mentioned that he would like it if he could introduce the 26 year old on dialysis to some of his younger patients in an attempt to scare them.
    I say why not, I think that would be the best thing to do for them. They need to be woken up.
    That diabetic nurse was far too soft with the 15 year old girl. I thought she was going to pat her on the head at one stage.
    What do you guys think? Would you deem it innapropriate for a doctor to try and scare you into following their advice? That question is for anyone, not just for the diabetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

What do you guys think? Would you deem it innapropriate for a doctor to try and scare you into following their advice? That question is for anyone, not just for the diabetics.

it is a tough one. My thoughts would be: you a piss off a teenager, you never see them again. I mean - teenagers, right? We all remember what we were like. I think practically - the best approach for the docs is to praise the kids when they do come in rather than scold them when they don't. It's frustrating for sure, but softly softly catchee monkey I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Definitely think they should have used Keith to try and scare a few of the kids into action, but that can still be done nicely. Show the scary future to them, but then be their friend to help them fix things when they decide for themselves that they want to change. The pregnant woman changed, but only once she wanted to because of the kid.

If you tell people that "YOU MUST DO THIS", then they will not.
    If someone says "I don't want this to happen, how do I prevent it" then they will do what you tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I missed it, i really wanted to show it to my soon to be 11 year old, as she isnt all the best with her blood sugars, she wont even keep a diary..... any idea if there is a repeat on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I missed it, i really wanted to show it to my soon to be 11 year old, as she isnt all the best with her blood sugars, she wont even keep a diary..... any idea if there is a repeat on?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-hospital/4od#3113934

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

I was diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 7 so will be a diabetic 22 yrs later this year. I watched this programme and laughed at it to be honest as any one of those teens could have been me. It is easy to say "tell them this, show them that" but at the end of the day unless they want to do it they won't listen. I saw pictures etc of amputees myself and it did nothing for me. They will mature and look after themselves more, it might take a while but they will. It may even take a bad scare for them to realise that they will prolong a healthy lifestyle if they do x,y,z. It was a very good programme, especially for those who don't quite understand fully the complications which can arise later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

True.

I felt you could have substituted just about any other vice (smoking, alcohol, drugs) and gotten the same attitudes.

We should know that teenagers are immortal in their own minds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You just have to keep giving them the information, and then at some point something will click and they will change their ways...hopefully.

I was surprised at how nobody seemed to be turning up to the consultants appointments as it was always pretty crowded on the days I'd be turning up for mine previously.

Advertisement