Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    Nope generally no, I wouldnt go into college the days I am on placement, the odd day I might head into the library if we finish up early in the hospital - but we will have to agree to disagree on this one i'm afraid. as part of our course as UCD students we HAVE to do placement - we are still students of UCD while on placement - so if you want to be petty - well there will always be a few wont there..

I appreciate your argument but look at it this way. Imagine parking in St. Vincents Hospital was free. Now, you need to go to the hospital however you can't drive because you know that its very likely there will be no spaces to park. Now,say 90% of the people parking in the hospital are actively attending it and as such have strong justification to be there. However, the other 10% are people who are using it as a jump off point to go to work and have no daily link to the hospital. I think its fair to say that those 10% are being rather selfish.

While UCD isn't a life and death arena, I do strongly believe that all parking should be reserved for people that have an active daily tangible link to the campus. While a placement is important, I don't think it justifies a parking space. If I got my degree from UCD, in 10 years does that mean I can go to work and park in UCD? No, it doesn't because I have no business being in the UCD car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

"If I got my degree from UCD, in 10 years does that mean I can go to work and park in UCD? No, it doesn't because I have no business being in the UCD car park"

NO it doesnt mean you can park in UCD as you WILL NOT be a UCD Student - same as when I qualify, I wont have rights to park there - but for now - I AM a student, so am well within my rights to park there now, and whilst on placement!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

sorry, what is park and ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Overature wrote: »
    sorry, what is park and ride?

Driving into UCD, parking there, then going and getting/riding the bus into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Nope generally no, I wouldnt go into college the days I am on placement, the odd day I might head into the library if we finish up early in the hospital - but we will have to agree to disagree on this one i'm afraid. as part of our course as UCD students we HAVE to do placement - we are still students of UCD while on placement - so if you want to be petty - well there will always be a few wont there..

So where do you draw the line? Students working in a hospital is ok for you, what about students working on the farm in Newcastle? Or students on Erasmus?

• Advertisement

stop wrote: »
    So where do you draw the line? Students working in a hospital is ok for you, what about students working on the farm in Newcastle? Or students on Erasmus?

Is working on a farm in Newcastle an integrated part of any course in UCD?:D If so, then yeah the student would be within their rights to park there!!! Placement is a requirement of many courses throughout UCD - we as UCD students, whilst on placement are still unpaid students of UCD, we are always the responsibilty of UCD - therefore yes, we are well within our rights to park there - but perhaps its time to get over it - its not all student nurses/midwives taking up the spaces - so move on! YAWN!

Is working on a farm in Newcastle an integrated part of any course in UCD?:D If so, then yeah the student would be within their rights to park there!!! Placement is a requirement of many courses throughout UCD - we as UCD students, whilst on placement are still unpaid students of UCD, we are always the responsibilty of UCD - therefore yes, we are well within our rights to park there - but perhaps its time to get over it - its not all student nurses/midwives taking up the spaces - so move on! YAWN!

So by your logic UCD should have ~22,000 parking spaces then?

I think your decision is motivated by the fact that you can park in UCD for free. It's nothing got to do with "being within your rights".

stop wrote: »
    So by your logic UCD should have ~22,000 parking spaces then?

I think your decision is motivated by the fact that you can park in UCD for free. It's nothing got to do with "being within your rights".

Yes of course my decision is motivated by the fact that I can park in UCD for free!!!!! :rolleyes:
    For the 100th time - I am a student of UCD whilst on placement and we are the responsibilty of UCD whilst on placement!
    And yes I am within my rights parking there - I pay my UCD fees for the year, every year! I am classed as a student of UCD from sept-may, whether I am on placement in the hospital, or in the college library! Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Just because you are in the care of UCD you think you deserve a parking space despite the fact that you have no business on campus 90% of the time you pakr there.

Stupid agrument. :rolleyes:

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Just because you are in the care of UCD you think you deserve a parking space despite the fact that you have no business on campus 90% of the time you pakr there.

90% - please enlighten me and elaborate- where is the 90% coming from!!

Stupid argument is right - seen as how there is no argument! I can park there - end of! do I feel guilty when I as a UCD student park there whilst I am working as a UCD student? Em nope, I sure as hell dont!:P:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

ucd.1985 wrote: »

The poster is not in 'the care' of UCD, he/she is not a patient in the university, the poster is a paying student/customer of UCD.
    The stupid argument is to claim that he or she has no grounds to argue a parking space in UCD.

dyl10 wrote: »
    The poster is not in 'the care' of UCD, he/she is not a patient in the university, the poster is a paying student/customer of UCD.
    The stupid argument is to claim that he or she has no grounds to argue a parking space in UCD.

thank you dyl10!
    people are seriously deluded!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maccy

I'd buy it :D
    Moomia wrote: »
    Im just wondering whether anyone reckons I could rent out a car park space to someone in UCD (this is not a direct attempt to sell). I live in the apartments above the Roebuck Spar and have 2 spaces that I just wont use so if I stuck up some notices around UCD does anyone think people would take em.

I'd be very interested!!!
    Or just park a couple of metres away in the estates for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

that works sometimes until a granny is shrieking at you sayin your blocking her drive wen your 4 ft from the entrance of her house and the the next house. scandalous the parking will be with the clock tower and sports science car park and quinn paid car park out of action.i thought the worst was that bus lane at dundrum taking years to finish .be in before half 8 was my old rule till after christmas now its looking like be in before 8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Im just wondering whether anyone reckons I could rent out a car park space to someone in UCD (this is not a direct attempt to sell). I live in the apartments above the Roebuck Spar and have 2 spaces that I just wont use so if I stuck up some notices around UCD does anyone think people would take em.

Just on this. I PM'd Raphael and he said it was ok for to to just chuck up a follow up post to say I've 1 space in Roebuck Hill for rent for the year. It's underground secure parking (you'll get a buzzer for it). If anyone is actually interested chuck me a PM so we dont clog up this thread.

maccy wrote: »
    Or just park a couple of metres away in the estates for free...

This is s good option also for students!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I have been in a few days this week doing lectures for the PGDE. Clonskeagh will be the worst entrance to go in as the Water Tower and Chapel car parks are closed off. The car park near o'reilly hall is also partially closed. Drove in at 2pm yesterday and around campus spaces were about 90% occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have been in a few days this week doing lectures for the PGDE. Clonskeagh will be the worst entrance to go in as the Water Tower and Chapel car parks are closed off. The car park near o'reilly hall is also partially closed. Drove in at 2pm yesterday and around campus spaces were about 90% occupied.

WTF? This is starting to take the piss. I'm going to go up during the week and see whats what

I saw what loons like a bit of Tarmac being laid in the one at the water tower, maybe this is finally going to sort out the park where you want no matter how many you block in situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've been around campus all summer and to be honest, when theres no undergrad students around parking just about works as it should. About 80% of spaces are generally full in the day time from my experience. Usually theres always a few spaces in any car park so you're not driving around for too long looking for one. This is great and all but its a bit of a travesty that parking only works as its supposed to when theres no undergrads on campus. Once the 14,000ish of them come back to college I dont even want to think about what parking is going to be like, "bad" would be an understatement. It does seem to get worse every year sadly, they really do need a big underground/multistory car park.

Whats the deal with the car park next to Quinn? Are they extending it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

Blut2 wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the car park next to Quinn? Are they extending it or what?

New law school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Generally you can always get parking on the street across the bridge in Woodbine in Booterstown or in the estates at opposite the Clonskeagh gate at any time. Its only a 10 minute walk to the centre of the campus then. On the 3 occasions I had to drive in last year i didn;t even bother trying to get a space in UCD itself. People are just very lazy and want to park as close as possible in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OSI wrote: »
    Or don't want to inconvenience people by parking right outside their houses.

They're public roads, I don't see an issue with it. If you want a guaranteed empty road outside your house a private, gated community is your only solution really. If you're prepared to have the benefits of the council looking after your road surfacing and green spaces you have to take the bad aspects of it too. My two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Not a student there, but I've been playing Tag Rugby on the GAA Astro pitch for the past few weeks on a Tuesday night. Games are usually on from 6 to 10 in the evenings and since the water tower area is closed, the marked car park just beside that has been full every night. People were just parking along the road from the Clonskeagh entrance along the foot/cycle path.

Drove further down through the roundabout and parked in a pretty big car park just layed in stone. Sign said it was closing from 25th August though. Not sure why... but it was causing problems in the evenings.

How come the carpark at the water tower is closed? and will it be reopening anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

How come the carpark at the water tower is closed? and will it be reopening anytime soon?

it had a load of construction equipment on it.. taken over by the builders it seems.

it had a load of construction equipment on it.. taken over by the builders it seems.

Oh dear..... ah sure its great craic driving around in circles for hours looking for a spot.... cant wait! :rolleyes:

They are laying tarmac on it. Maybe if less people who have no business in Belfield didn't park no campus there would be more spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Just an idea. Why don't the poor little rich kids leave their mini coopers and (runarounds bought by daddy for your 16th birthday) at home and take a dublin bus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

qwert2 wrote: »
    Just an idea. Why don't the poor little rich kids leave their mini coopers and (runarounds bought by daddy for your 16th birthday) at home and take a dublin bus ;)

The amount of Mini's is unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

The amount of Mini's is unreal!

Don't forget Golf GTIs

Advertisement