Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell me if i got a good deal here

• 16-08-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

ok i got me self an outboard engine at last an i'm a bit thrilled about it,it's a 15hp honda 4 stroke,it's about 5 years old,serviced in january and a new water pump fitted..

700 euro,an i can pay ur man at 100 quid a week

ok critics hit with it :D

short shaft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,712 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sounds good the Honda 4 strokes are great for fuel efficiency and reliability. Only problem might be if your boat requires a long shaft engine, the short shaft won't have the same drive in the water and you could end up with the drive off the boat in a bit of rough weather which can be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

hhmm i see what you mean,but i won't hopefully be goin out in that kind of weather,just mackerel fishin an stuff

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here is a link that might help, there is 5'' between a long and short shaft if your transom is 16" or less its a short shaft, the cavitation plate should be level with the bottom of the boat also make sure the waterpickup is covered with water.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Help.html?Question=Shaft-Length

it is actually lower than that in the water so i should be safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 defitzi

U have got a very good deal at dat price if dat motor is a good one. BUT.....make sure he motor is good-if necessary, get someone who knows to check it out ...after all, your (and other) lives may depend on its rlibility -a damn sight more important than money!:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    ok i got me self an outboard engine at last an i'm a bit thrilled about it,it's a 15hp honda 4 stroke,it's about 5 years old,serviced in january and a new water pump fitted..

short shaft

Get a trapezoid transom mount like this if you want to get the short shaft deeper in
    http://www.nextag.com/Panther-Auxiliary-Outboard-Adjustable-572904716/prices-html

for that price i would rather make one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

ISAW wrote: »
    Get a trapezoid transom mount like this if you want to get the short shaft deeper in
    http://www.nextag.com/Panther-Auxiliary-Outboard-Adjustable-572904716/prices-html

"Not for use with 4-stroke engines. "

I'd recommend considering a jack plate if you find problems with the short shaft. But then again, they're not cheap (compared to the outlay on the engine already).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 defitzi

reckon u hve a good deal if engine is ok nd as u say the shaft is deep enough. But.....try to find a cheap small one reserve if yr boat ( what is it?) can handle it. Otherwise , make sure you have a pair of oars if it can b rowed or use a single skull over the gransom it's easy to learn to use it ting is the sea is always potential hazard and a single engine can breakdown
    even in good weather a second back up is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

DOTHEDOG wrote: »

short shaft

As good a deal as it is . it sounds too cheap to be honest , stolen maybe????
    I have a 2004 model honda 15hp and theres no way id let it go for that cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This was posted back in 2010 I'd say he's sorted now :D

Advertisement