Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get IT career advice?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I badly need to get advice on which direction to go in IT,who could i go to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

you could post here - some details about experience, interests, goals, type of person you are and maybe we could help. - keep it vague.

you'll prob find that there are a good number of people on here who have worked in it for years and have a good grasp of trends, suitability etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭tommy26

Well i have a degree in IT from a few years back but i have never really worked in IT.I was let go a few months back and i was thinking of getting into IT again.When i was studying for my degree i hated programming so i dont want to go down that road.What other areas could i get into that have good prospects?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

tommy26 wrote: »
    Well i have a degree in IT from a few years back but i have never really worked in IT.I was let go a few months back and i was thinking of getting into IT again.When i was studying for my degree i hated programming so i dont want to go down that road.What other areas could i get into that have good prospects?

What area is your work experience in?
    Are you prepared to travel (where are you based now), what are you salary expectations, do you have any further qualificiation and are you willing to get other qualifications?

To be honest, its looking like the support/sys admin route for you if you arent into programming but thats a huge area also and in many cases relatively poorly paid initially, with much further education/moving companies requred before getting the decent money and a decent job. But again, i am being vague, a but more info from yourself might help.

Ya i Have worked in Finance and i have qualifications in Finance.I am willing to do Certs or courses in IT to improve my chances of getting a good job,i just dont know which certs to do as there is so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ya i Have worked in Finance and i have qualifications in Finance.I am willing to do Certs or courses in IT to improve my chances of getting a good job,i just dont know which certs to do as there is so many.

You dont appear to like answering questions though, thats a fairly big hindrance in getting certs etc.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What area of IT?
    Where are you based now?
    What work experience do you have in IT?

Also, why IT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

Many certs due to there being many roads you can travel.

A+, Network+ & XP (70-270) for desktop support.

MCSA/MCSE - system admin. I recall reading that these are outdated but there are still a large number of companies rolling with server 2003 (even 2000) and it'll be easier to start old and learn new then vice versa.

CCNA - network engineer.

There just an example of what you can do for each. There are a lot more routes available. Just to afree with what kippy said, pay is going to be low but if you enjoy it you can work past the initial 1/2 years.

thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

No problem. You may find some books over on adverts.ie that will be going cheap, worth a look. I might have some stuff on A+ and Network+ as well, must check.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Dont bother doing the actualy exams for A+ and Network+ if you do decide to study.

From what Ive seen employers are looking for mainly Microsoft and CCNA.

Use the A+ or N+ material just to help you get better certs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement