Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais nightmare

• 16-08-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i was expecting my gas bill around the beginning of the month and after checking online just now there is no bill although my account page states it was due on the 7th august!

have bord gais stopped doing accounts? last monththe bill was almost two weeks late and i cancelled the direct debit until they give a written undertaking to follow the direct debit scheme guarantee of giving 14days notice of charges and i have heard nothing since!

i have never come across such an incompetant accounts department! they are continously late issueing bills and just blame their outside contractors that print and post out the bills,

they are a complete joke, now i dont even know when or how much my next bill is going to be and will not be surprised if the wasters cut me off in a few days for not paying a bill they never sent!

has anyone else had seriously late bord gais bills?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i cant say i have noticed my bill being late but tbh i would have a clue when it should be sent.

i pay the bill by DD, so i dont have to think about it.

i find this is easiest way to go about paying bills, i really dont know why you cancelled your DD, at least them you wont be worried about being cut off.

UPC never send out bills anymore perhaps that is the way Bord Gais is going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

foggy_lad wrote: »
    has anyone else had seriously late bord gais bills?

My bill has been late a few times but the payment has always been taken 2 weeks after the bill issue date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I don't pay direct debit and once or twice I received no bill from Bord Gais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

irishbird wrote: »
    i cant say i have noticed my bill being late but tbh i would have a clue when it should be sent.

i pay the bill by DD, so i dont have to think about it.

i find this is easiest way to go about paying bills, i really dont know why you cancelled your DD, at least them you wont be worried about being cut off.

UPC never send out bills anymore perhaps that is the way Bord Gais is going

Yes but the difference is that your UPC payment is the sane each month and they send out a bill if there are any variations. Bird Gaia bills will be different each time so you should get one each time in case there are any problems with it.

I too find them terrible for billing. I get my bills online and you can never be sure when you'll get one. It also annoys me that you can't pay the bill off before the due date- the DD comes out regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

havana wrote: »
    Yes but the difference is that your UPC payment is the sane each month and they send out a bill if there are any variations. Bird Gaia bills will be different each time so you should get one each time in case there are any problems with it.

I too find them terrible for billing. I get my bills online and you can never be sure when you'll get one. It also annoys me that you can't pay the bill off before the due date- the DD comes out regardless.

If you have a copy of an old Gas bill - you can go into the post office at any time and pay any amount - it will come off your bill.

• Advertisement

havana wrote: »

My gas bill is the same amount each month - i use their budget plan system so i know exactly how much i pay each month and never get a big bill - i am really surprised that more people dont do this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My gas bill is the same amount each month - i use their budget plan system so i know exactly how much i pay each month and never get a big bill - i am really surprised that more people dont do this :confused:

That's a good idea, except in cases where they underestimate how much you use, and then you get hit with a big bill when they correct it. This has come up a number of times, especially in relation to Airtricity, and is a big put-off. If you use this plan, keep an eye on the meter readings yourself, and make sure you're paying the right amount.

jor el wrote: »
    That's a good idea, except in cases where they underestimate how much you use, and then you get hit with a big bill when they correct it. This has come up a number of times, especially in relation to Airtricity, and is a big put-off. If you use this plan, keep an eye on the meter readings yourself, and make sure you're paying the right amount.

really, that has never happen to 5 in 6 years. i ring my reading in every time i get a notice in the door. i am in credit of 300e the moment which is my winter bills covered

I do this with ESB but when I asked Bord Gais they said they don't do it - or possibly I had to pay a large deposit yo sign up. There was sone reason anyway why I couldn't/ wouldn't do it. Either way you are still entitled to a bill as your billing amounts will be different regardless of paying the same each month.

BTW sorry for any dodgy spellings in my posts. Posting from my phone and don't always notice errors!!!

deelite wrote: »
    If you have a copy of an old Gas bill - you can go into the post office at any time and pay any amount - it will come off your bill.

Really? I think I have an old paper bill. It would be handy if I could. Paid online before and ended up paying the bill twice cos the DD still came out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the direct debit scheme has a guarantee that companies agree to which gives 14 days notice of any charges to your account but bord gais have been ignoring this for a long time. the esb usually gives 21 days from the bill date to taking the money from your account to allow for printing and posting delays etc and meteor are usually bang on with 14 days but vodafone can be late with their bills but usually dont take the money on the stated date but a few days later:)

anyway still no paper bill here and no online bill either! i wonder has their accounts department been closed for the summer to save money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just to update Bord Gais are now saying i was on the wrong billing cycle and that all was now fixed and i got my bill 3 days after it was dated but this was only a copy bill printed out specially for me as the normal bill arrived later 8 days after the bill date giving only 6 days between recieving notification and direct debit being taken. nothing has been "fixed" it seems!

Advertisement