Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Dirt bike help

• 16-08-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭

hi all looking into getting a dirt bike and a bit lost what to get, i'd like a bit of speed but it needs to be reliable, i would just be using it in a field (very big dirt hills) for a bit of fun:)
    I am 5'9 and just under 9 stone and have a budget of 500euros maybe a bit more for the right bike. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1500403 was looking at this but not sure. All help appreciated
    Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

how about this one http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1436013 bit more power, wants to sell, might take 500. Known good brand. Some of the chinese bikes (do not know make of the one you show), are not too clever and do not last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Don't buy any china made bikes, absolutely terrible in every way. Stick to Honda,Suzuki, Kawasaki etc. Very reliable if looked after, but for that money you will have to go late 90's, early 00's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you want a 4 stroke bike something like an XR200 would be ideal, 2 strokes you should look for an enduro something like a KDX220 or similar.
    Or maybe a KTM EXC 125
    Stick to a Japanese/KTM and forget those Chinese bikes, poor quality parts and when they break you can't get bits to fix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Rasherz

@furerer Thanks for the link will give him a call and check it out
    just wondering how quick would 250cc be as im 16 with no biking experience

@5T3PH3N so china bikes are out of the question, gives me a better idea what to look at thanks

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you want a 4 stroke bike something like an XR200 would be ideal, 2 strokes you should look for an enduro something like a KDX220 or similar.
    Or maybe a KTM EXC 125
    Stick to a Japanese/KTM and forget those Chinese bikes, poor quality parts and when they break you can't get bits to fix them.
    hmm i heard 4 strokes were very high maintenance what advantages apart from more powerful do they have over a 2 stroke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rasherz wrote: »
    hmm i heard 4 strokes were very high maintenance what advantages apart from more powerful do they have over a 2 stroke?
    Actually the older style 4 strokes are not that high maintenance at all.
    They still need to have oil changes but they are not as highly stressed as the newer engines. The XR200 engine is about as reliable as you can get.
    and 4 strokes are not really more powerful than 2 strokes it's just that they are usually a bigger engine. 4stroke 450 competes against 250 2 strokes.
    125 2 stroke competes against 250 4 stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

Man I think what you are looking for is a Yamaha YZ125 or a Honda CR125. Any of these machines are what you are looking for. They are the most common and easiest to fix. Ebay has all the parts that you will need to service it. I personally have a 4 stroke but you will need to spend a good bit of money for that. Easiest ride but cheap ones are probable dirt or stolen.
    You would get a 01 YZ125 for about 700 squids with piston done, which means will probable outlast your interest but still be saleable to someone else :) when done. Check out Donedeal man.

madmac187 wrote: »
    Man I think what you are looking for is a Yamaha YZ125 or a Honda CR125. Any of these machines are what you are looking for. They are the most common and easiest to fix. Ebay has all the parts that you will need to service it. I personally have a 4 stroke but you will need to spend a good bit of money for that. Easiest ride but cheap ones are probable dirt or stolen.
    You would get a 01 YZ125 for about 700 squids with piston done, which means will probable outlast your interest but still be saleable to someone else :) when done. Check out Donedeal man.

Thanks man that is those are perfect bikes and exactly what i was hoping to find, a little over budget but b-day is soon and they seem worth it:D. What do you mean by pistons done is that like reinforcing the part to last longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

Rasherz wrote: »
    Thanks man that is those are perfect bikes and exactly what i was hoping to find, a little over budget but b-day is soon and they seem worth it:D. What do you mean by pistons done is that like reinforcing the part to last longer?

Yeah thats the bitch about buying a motocross bike. To spend a little could be false economy because later on you will have to do a ton to it. The piston thing is really important. You see a motocross engine has more punishment that a road bike engine. Anyway, the after a certain amount of time the pistons wear and need to be replaced. Great thing is that a piston for a 125 2 stroke costs very little and is easy enough to do yourself if you have the time. If they are'nt replaced the engine pops and its ruined or costs alot a bucket to fix. Great thing about a 2 stroke machine like those are that when the pistons are done, they are as good as the day the came out of the factory. Look up www.motocross.ie. There are bikes for sale on that and tips what to look for when buying a second hand bike.

Essentially doing a piston in a motocross bike, is like putting new tires on a car. Its kinda routine and keeps the machine in good working order. Whatever you do, stay away from any chinese ****e. WOnt get parts and wont last pissing time. Seems appealling to get a near new bike for little money but it actually won't last. I'd recommend those 2 bikes especially because they are the most common, best for wear and parts are really handy got off ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

you've got a good lot of advice from all those comments, so the choice is yours, 2-stroke or 4-stroke, both easy to maintain, but if you know very little about dirt bikes or bikes in general........take someone with you that does......it prevents you handing over good money for a bike that could require major work......I cannot stress enough that some buyers will take your money under false pretences, and will not give a sh-t about you after you're gone. Go for the known makes, you will not regret it, and if 500 is not going to get you what you're looking for, wait a little while longer and save a few more squidneys....it'll be worth it....other than that you could always try to squeeze a few quid out of the parents.....:D good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Does your budget include a helmet? Just because you're just going round a field doesn't mean that it won't hurt (or worse) if you're thrown off.

Thanks for all the advice lads i know what im looking for now, will post a few pics when i get it:)
    whoami1 wrote: »
    Does your budget include a helmet? Just because you're just going round a field doesn't mean that it won't hurt (or worse) if you're thrown off.

No i have more money for a good helmet thats why the current bike budget is a bit lower was told not to skimp on a good helmet.

Advertisement