Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: what year out of the 3 summers was the worst

Options
  • 16-08-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Well since 2010's summer has proven (in my opinion at least) to be one of the best summers Ireland has had I decided to post a poll.
    Which of the 3 supposed washouts do you think was the worst

I don't have an opinion on this because although I vaguely remember 2007 being the worst I remember 2008 having alot of thunderstorms but I am having trouble deciding which one was the worst

What year was the worst in Ireland 44 votes

0% 0 votes
    36% 16 votes
    63% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Best? best !

Its been completely dull here after a dry Sunny June.

Also wet too in July and slightly less wet in August

2005, 2003 were way better.

2000,2001 and 2002 were arguably sunnier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

pauldry wrote: »
    Best? best !

Well if you take the previous 3 summers into account this one seems to have been more sunnier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The 2010 summer has been good, 2005 was too dry and too hot.

2009 was the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I voted 2009 as the worst. 2008 was bad but '09 just took the biscuit. Despite the grey gloom that descended in July just gone i think this summer has been one of the better ones. Temps have remained up and still the odd sunny day(on the east coast anyways) so it's been pretty decent.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

lord lucan wrote: »
    I voted 2009 as the worst. 2008 was bad but '09 just took the biscuit. Despite the grey gloom that descended in July just gone i think this summer has been one of the better ones. Temps have remained up and still the odd sunny day(on the east coast anyways) so it's been pretty decent.:)

How sad that we've had to resort to equating 'the odd sunny day' to a good summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

fishmahboi wrote: »
    Well if you take the previous 3 summers into account this one seems to have been more sunnier

I take your point that a lot of the country got sunny weather in July but I can assure you Sligo got none and apart from yesterday which was possibly 80% of our sunshine total for August so far we have had none in August either.

Yes Id say about 30mins was our sunniest day in July , oh and 2005 WAS sunny and hot but we had lots of lightning in this year and it was the year I bought my first weather station and rain gauge and recorded 48mm of rain on July 7th of that Summer still one of my wettest days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I voted 2008,workin in airport&all i remember is heavy shower after heavy shower,not dat 2009 was any better just think 08 was worse IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yeah, 2008 was the worst... remember the rainfall of August 16th, over 60mm in many parts!
    2007 and 2009 was more showery, whereas 2008 had frontal rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Danno wrote: »
    Yeah, 2008 was the worst... remember the rainfall of August 16th, over 60mm in many parts!
    2007 and 2009 was more showery, whereas 2008 had frontal rain.
    yeah danno,i couldnt tink of the date but i remember it,thunder for bout an hour but the flash floods were major,der was an under ground river in donneycarney which hadn't over flowed in 50 years or something,twas 1 to remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Well since 2010's summer has proven (in my opinion at least) to be one of the best summers Ireland has had

You're obviously not old enough to remember summer 1995 and I'm not old enough to remember the summer of 1976.

2010 is not the best summer Ireland has even had ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

had to be 2008 - I'll never forget that day in August - heading for Limerick from Shannon airport and every car had pulled in at the side of the motorway - you literally couldn't see one metre in front of you.

This summer may not have been what we'd have all hoped for but its been a damn site better than any other the previous three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

2007 was the worst , it had as much rain as 2008 and 2009 but only one clap of thunder. 2008 was alright for storms but summer 2009 was spectacular here for storms almost one a week sometimes more. 2007 was very wet but had no storms here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    2007 was the worst ,.

+1

I think its the closest I came to being brought to depression solely on the weather

drudging into work day after day of rain...rain...rain
    antirip wrote:
    You're obviously not old enough to remember summer 1995 and I'm not old enough to remember the summer of 1976.

ah...1995....now you are talking...the last proper summer
    2010 is not the best summer Ireland has even had

tbf he did not say 'the best' summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Riskymove wrote: »

tbf he did not say 'the best' summer

Duly noted, 'one of the best', sorry for the misread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In my lifetime, 1995 and 2003 were some summers. I think 2006 was pretty decent too. The late '90s had a string of late may summers followed by a couple of months of very meh or wet weather. Especially 2000 I think. 2008 was the worst for rainfall I think in this decade, what with the unbelievable problems in silage harvesting and flooded fields etc.

2007 was probably the worst for a "civillian" when carrying an umbrella was compulsory, grass would be universally damp or wet when cutting, painting anything outdoors was a risky affair and waiting for a CIÉ bus was like purgatory at times. Baaad times, I tell ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

AntiRip wrote: »

Just as a reminder:-
    Here's a photo from Blainroe GC ( Wicklow ) in summer 1995, note how dry and brown the grass is except for the green which had irrigation.

Blainroe-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I spent the summer of 95 living on a campsite and working in a green house in Holland picking peppers during my first summer of college. Think working in a sauna for three months

My mother cried when she opened the door to me in September - I'd lost nearly three stone.

Hard to believe thats 15 years ago ... Im old!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Can't decide weather its 07 or 08.
    August 08 was appalling but The first half of June 08 was great and mid July 08 was good.
    Mid June 07 to mid August 07 was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

june this summer was good, had a lovely weekend last weekend too
    but overall i wouldn't call this summer good by any means, better than the last few horror shows we've seen though, i do remember nearly being depressed by the weather in 2007, i think two weeks in the blazing portuguese sun saved me though

hopefully we actually see a good summer next year, but if all goes to plan i won't be here for most of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

AntiRip wrote: »

Maybe not, but I've never been so glad to see a bit of sunshine....after the winter we had and the last three summers.....admittedly July was Crap but May and june were lovely and after the last three summer's I will take that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We needed the rain this summer with rainfall levels in some parts of the country only at 60% of normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

All three summers were pretty crap but all had their own interest as well.

July 2007 I got caught in a shower just south of Swinford in Co.Mayo that produced rain of an intensity I have yet to witness since. Roads flooded in seconds rather than minutes.

Summer 08 was probably the best as it had a dark, thundery quality about it with big crawling forked lightening witnessed in both May and June that year.

2009, pretty non-descript but still produced the odd thunderstorm with some high rain rates an almost daily feature in the closing days of August.

As for summer 2010, it can go f..k itself. It is a sad year when a summer temp cannot surpass that recorded in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I voted 2009 because of the disappointing aspect to that summer. After 2 bad summers in a row you would expect 2009 to deliver at least an average summer. June was ok but it is July and August that make or break our favourite season. I like outdoor swimming and I didn't get to tog out during these two months. That's how bad it was.
    2010 I would describe as mediorce without being a washout unlike the last 3 summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

pauldry wrote: »
    Best? best !

dont remember too much about 2005 but 2003 was fairly good , neither was a patch on 2006 though which was the best summer since 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This year has been quite good.

However it is beginning to turn and proper Autumnal weather seems not too far away.

One must not forget how brilliant an Irish summer like this can be. 18c with partly cloudy conditions and a nice breeze can be one of the most pleasent weather conditions.

Try even 25c and similar conditions and any sort of daily live becomes more of a struggle. Then you remember most major cities have to experience 30c+ and insufferable temperatures on the underground.

All in all our climate is great and this Summer has been too, although August so far has been very disappointing bar the the odd few.

All in all, a fantastic climate and this summer has been nice to us in most regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

This year has been quite good.

However it is beginning to turn and proper Autumnal weather seems not too far away.

One must not forget how brilliant an Irish summer like this can be. 18c with partly cloudy conditions and a nice breeze can be one of the most pleasent weather conditions.

Try even 25c and similar conditions and any sort of daily live becomes more of a struggle. Then you remember most major cities have to experience 30c+ and insufferable temperatures on the underground.

All in all our climate is great and this Summer has been too, although August so far has been very disappointing bar the the odd few.

All in all, a fantastic climate and this summer has been nice to us in most regards.

ireland has a great climate for growing grass so its a fantastic climate on a practical level , you could hardly call it great though in terms of what it adds to peoples lifestyle , its no california or perth australia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

All three summers were pretty crap but all had their own interest as well.

July 2007 I got caught in a shower just south of Swinford in Co.Mayo that produced rain of an intensity I have yet to witness since. Roads flooded in seconds rather than minutes.

Summer 08 was probably the best as it had a dark, thundery quality about it with big crawling forked lightening witnessed in both May and June that year.

2009, pretty non-descript but still produced the odd thunderstorm with some high rain rates an almost daily feature in the closing days of August.

As for summer 2010, it can go f..k itself. It is a sad year when a summer temp cannot surpass that recorded in spring.

I think I was the oppositte to you. For me 2007 was rubbish giving only 1 rumble of thunder , 2008 was ok for stroms but 2009 was truly epic for storms.

Maybe , different wind patterns? For example a NW wind is the best for getting home grown storms here but I would say south-easterlys would be best for your location. I'm open to being wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well since 2010's summer has proven (in my opinion at least) to be one of the best summers Ireland has had I decided to post a poll.
    confusedface2.jpg

Reality check
    Claremorris had its wettest July since records began there in 1950, while its daily fall of 56mm on the 10th was also a record for the month at the station.

http://met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

I recall a lot better summers than this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    confusedface2.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

For those too young to remember '95. Remember the amazing month of April we had in '07 where we got unbroken blue skies, Summer heat, Sunbathing and sunburn for 3 or 4 weeks straight(before it all turned to **** for the 'Actual' Summer). Well '95 was like that but it was June, July and August!! I remember that was the year that the Bray Summer Festival committee decided that they were sick of the Festival being a washout in July year in year out, so they organised it for September instead that year. Sure we always get an Indian Summer. :D Best July on Record and when did that wonderful Summer finally break with Torrential downpours?? You guessed it!! Festival week!! :D They moved it back to July for '96. Pretty sure July 96 was......wet :D

Advertisement