Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need SPSS Help

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So new to boards.ie & new to SPSS! I've been messing around with SPSS itself/books/online tutorials etc for the last couple of weeks & I am none the wiser :(. I need a crash course in SPSS. I have the data & variables input & can do the basic graphs etc. but I need to know what else the info can tell me. I know I should be getting the mean/mode/sd etc. of things but of what? Of all the qs on my questionnaire? Then what do these things tell me?
    I really need help!
    Looking for someone for 2-3 hours (this week/weekend) that knows how to work SPSS :confused:. Am in Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

So new to boards.ie & new to SPSS! I've been messing around with SPSS itself/books/online tutorials etc for the last couple of weeks & I am none the wiser :(. I need a crash course in SPSS. I have the data & variables input & can do the basic graphs etc. but I need to know what else the info can tell me. I know I should be getting the mean/mode/sd etc. of things but of what? Of all the qs on my questionnaire? Then what do these things tell me?
    I really need help!
    Looking for someone for 2-3 hours (this week/weekend) that knows how to work SPSS :confused:. Am in Dublin area.

Have you tried SPSS for dummies?
    Well the mean tells you the 'average', standard deviation tells you how much variation there is from the mean.

Now, this can only tell you so much (this is very basic stuff and doesn't offer anything major). What you might want to do is test your data. Now here's a programme that I use that you might want to consider. It's very easy to use and best still it's free. Here's another one, but considering your difficulty with SPSS I won't recommend it to you because you'd be totally confused.

Now, have you considered any statistical tests?
    E.g. Student's t-test (assumes the data has a normal distribution, equal variances); Welch two-sample (for two samples with unequal variances) etc... You might want to look into how people in your field test such data and try it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ronan81

Hi, just read your threads there, does anybody know of a website/url where spss can be downloaded for a free trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

PM sent op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Ronan81 wrote: »
    Hi, just read your threads there, does anybody know of a website/url where spss can be downloaded for a free trial?

Google 'spss free download'. It was the first result that came up. If you have problems, let me know and I'll do it for you.

Advertisement