Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on Rental Income

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out exactly what tax I would pay if I rented out my house - the IT 70 guide from Revenue isn't very clear.

Is it a straight 20%? I just want a simple answer :confused:
    e.g. rent = 500 per month
    interest on mortgage = 200 pm

let's say for arguments sake there's no more deductable expenses

do I pay 20% of 300 to revenue???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

No. Because to start with only 75% of interest is tax deductable

so in that instance you would be paying tax on 350.

Bottom line is if you have to come on this forum re tax questions on rental your better paying an accountant to do your returns (fee for accountant also tax deductable)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

troops wrote: »
    I just want a simple answer :confused:
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If people are good enough to reply, even if it's not what you want to hear, a simple thank you would suffice or even no reply is better than that

If NO isnt a simple answer I dont know what is. I coould help more but I tend not to help ungrateful so and so's

D3PO wrote: »
    Bottom line is if you have to come on this forum re tax questions on rental your better paying an accountant to do your returns (fee for accountant also tax deductable)

I wouldn't consider that comment helpful. Condesending alright

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider that comment helpful. Condesending alright

no problems next time i will just laugh when you post about how you have been fined by revenue for filing incorrect returns. the fact is if you dont know how to file correctly you should use an accountant. if you believe thats condecending you need to look the word up in the dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The rate of tax depends on what tax bracket you are in. So it depends on your total income including your job. If you are on the higher rate, it will be taxed at the higher rate. That would be 41 percent plus the various levies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- behave.

OP- with tax- there very seldom is a simple answer. If you don't hear what you want to hear- there is no need to get shirty with the people who actually take time to reply to you.

Now calm down everyone. If you can be helpful towards the OP- please post helpful information- other than that- please move on, nothing to see here.

The rate of tax depends on what tax bracket you are in. So it depends on your total income including your job. If you are on the higher rate, it will be taxed at the higher rate. That would be 41 percent plus the various levies.

thanks man. simple answer to a simple question which i couldn't find on the revenue site. think i'll skip the accountant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there any where online that gives an example of how to calculate it?

Do you pay tax on if you make a loss on the rental income ie mortgage is €1000 rent is €750?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

The best thing to do is to look up irishlandlord.com. It gives advice and lists for first time landlords, including how to calculate tax and deductable expenses.

godtabh wrote: »
    Is there any where online that gives an example of how to calculate it?

Do you pay tax on if you make a loss on the rental income ie mortgage is €1000 rent is €750?

i doubt it's that easy otherwise we'd all be restructuring our mortgages to be more than our rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You aren't necessarily making a loss in that case. It depends on what proportion of your mortgage payment is capital (not an expense) and interest (partially allowable for tax purposes).

Advertisement