Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabinet recommendation

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here could recommend a decent, good value cabinet for a single shotgun, my local FO said I'd need one before issuing my license :(

Thanks! *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i bought one from the sportsden website at the start of the year, next day delivery, and a sound man to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

lperrozzi wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here could recommend a decent, good value cabinet for a single shotgun, my local FO said I'd need one before issuing my license :(

Thanks! *

http://www.safes.ie/brand_guncabnet.html

I'm guessing because of your location he is insisting on cabinet

Technically if you only have one shotgun you just have to have it broken into parts and stored in different locations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

http://www.safes.ie/brand_guncabnet.html

I'm guessing because of your location he is insisting on cabinet

Technically if you only have one shotgun you just have to have it broken into parts and stored in different locations

Thought that alright, but I've since been advised that it's only a minimum security requirement, more can be requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

pm sent tya man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

For one shotgun is a trigger lock not the minimum?

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »

In a high risk Crime area the FO/CS may ask for a cabinet, it's worth having anyway.

Not worth the argument as most shooters have one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

broken apart, the pieces stored seperatly and the trigger lock as far as i can see from the garda site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Thought that alright, but I've since been advised that it's only a minimum security requirement, more can be requested.

Come on Dusty .................... get it yet? :D

More can be requested and if you disagree with Super you can challenge him in the District Court and the Super would have to explain why he requires a higher level of security than the guidelines require but in this instance I would just buy a cabinet ;)

IMHO a cabinet should be the minimum NOT a triggerlock & hiding bits.

You should be able to get a cabinet for approx €90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

pm sent tya man

Thanks for the advice :)
    In a high risk Crime area the FO/CS may ask for a cabinet, it's worth having anyway.

Not worth the argument as most shooters have one anyway

I really wouldn't consider my current address a high risk area, but I'm not about to go rocking the boat down here just yet.

More can be requested and if you disagree with Super you can challenge him in the District Court and the Super would have to explain why he requires a higher level of security than the guidelines require but in this instance I would just buy a cabinet ;)

Thanks a million for clearing that up :) any idea of were that cabinet is being sold?

i have a cabinet.
    i responded to tack's post about the gun being stored in different places, as i thought a trigger lock was needed as a dealer told me when we were chattin about security. I dont know what the minimum requirements are for one gun because i always had a safe for my guns and the house has a monitered alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yeah I agree with Bunny here, a cabinet is plainly a good idea. Gives some peace of mind when you're out and about on non shooting business.

Thanks a million for clearing that up :) any idea of were that cabinet is being sold?

No hassle lad.

A cabinet for one shottie should be that cheap anywhere. I have one in the shed at home that you could have for €50 ............ but I'm in Tipp :o

Some of the Co-op's eg (Dairygold) are stocking 'em now and at good prices too ;)

i have a cabinet.
    i responded to tack's post about the gun being stored in different places, as i thought a trigger lock was needed as a dealer told me when we were chattin about security. I dont know what the minimum requirements are for one gun because i always had a safe for my guns and the house has a monitered alarm.

Aw come on Dusty :o you know I am only ribbing ya :o

You are right about the triggerlock and hiding parts but as you and I know the Super does have the final word on it ;)

Aw come on Dusty :o you know I am only ribbing ya :o

You are right about the triggerlock and hiding parts but as you and I know the Super does have the final word on it ;)

sorry i thought ya took me up wrong:O happens me a lot:-D i agree about the safe btw.

but as you and I know the Super does have the final word on it ;)
    i know well. The main reason i left the guns at the home place, the alarm is already there. Would rather them here, save a lot of hardship pickin them up but iv more peace of mind wit them there and im sure the fo and super do too

sorry i thought ya took me up wrong:O .

Naw, you made perfect sense ;)
    i agree about the safe btw.

Most lads do from what I've seen.

Apparently IFA Rep on FCP got triggerlock concession?

Naw, you made perfect sense ;)

Most lads do from what I've seen.

Apparently IFA Rep on FCP got triggerlock concession?

I've 4 trigger locks, one on every firearm

Best deterant going.

In cabellas all rifles are on the shelves with trigger locks and none go walkies
    Except this baby! as it was to heavy to pilfer
    124407.jpg

€20 Trigger lock well worth it!

124412.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've been told trigger locks can be opened/broken with a screwdriver. How true that is, I don't know. Looked into getting them for traveling but decided against it from what I was told.

I've 4 trigger locks, one on every firearm

Best deterant going.

In cabellas all rifles are on the shelves with trigger locks and none go walkies
    Except this baby! as it was to heavy to pilfer

So you have no safe or monitored alarm :eek::confused:

• Advertisement

So you have no safe or monitored alarm :eek::confused:

I NEVER said that BS

I keep the trigger locks on in transit. Bolts/slide in a secure place (also not divulging)

I have 3 safe to be precise but I am NOT discussing my security, locations of my security, or any security items on a PUBLIC site.

Suffice it to say, I have spent a lot on my rifles et al, i'm not going to let any kay-naker steal them easily!

I am beyond all security requirements laid down.
    I was inspected and passed!

You did not clarify in your original statement that you meant they were the best deterrant when travelling :rolleyes:

Surely the best deterrant going would be two or more safes and a fully monitored alarm system with the firearms disassembled in the safes and nobody knowing you even had firearms ?

You won't tell us about your security yet you post pictures on an almost daily basis :P

johngalway wrote: »
    I've been told trigger locks can be opened/broken with a screwdriver. How true that is, I don't know. Looked into getting them for traveling but decided against it from what I was told.

I've tried that, it did not work

saying that, they are only a deterrent

A safe is a stronger deterrent
    an alarm stronger deterrent
    A brute of a dog, an even stronger deterrent

After that, what more can one do!

Call Super man!

You stated that triggerlocks were the best deterrant.

You did not clarify in your original statement that you meant they were the best deterrant when travelling :rolleyes:

You admit to having safe/s so would you not consider these to be a better deterrant?

If your rifle is on a rack, and mine is, and i have a trigger lock, and you don't that is a deterrent

I was just pointing out what was used in the texas.

best deterrent for a thief, for the thief to think you have nothing to rob!

Sorry Bunny, I assumed you knew what i meant!

For Travelling they are a handy deterrent

Sorry Bunny, I assumed you knew what i meant!

I never know what you mean :p hence the question to clarify ;)
    For Travelling they are a handy deterrent

Agreed ;) As is locked in the boot of the car, van etc out of sight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Just wondering if anyone here could recommend a decent, good value cabinet for a single shotgun, my local FO said I'd need one before issuing my license :(Thanks! *

When you get your cabinet buy some decent fixing bolts with it, any cabinet I've fitted came with really crap bolts.

I got fixins in the hardware. Some one told me to gunner prene it to the wall but i didnt. Ya'd make **** of the wall if she ever was to come off. And mine wil. Handy if its a permanent set up

Advertisement