Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eircom, xbox live & Buffalo Nfiniti

• 16-08-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im getting Eircom installed sometime this week and have decided that the router they send isn't going to be up to scratch with the reported dropping after 30 minutes or so etc.

I think i have settled on the Buffalo Nfiniti WHR-HP-G300N which can be seen here http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/routers-and-access-points/nfiniti-wireless-n-essential-high-power-router-access-point-whr-hp-g300n/

My concern is atm i have a wireless isp and am using an intellinet 150n but my nat is stuck at moderate and i cant open ports no matter what i try, coupled with shoddy service and xbox live dropping every couple of hours, its basically rendering xbox live unusable. Im just wondering if anyone knows if i will have better luck with this router or should i be aiming for something different. The reason im going for a wireless N router is i wont be able to plug the xbox directly into the router unless i use homeplugs, and i want to have the best possible connection for reach :D

So will the Buffalo router be ok or will i try a different one?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

I use a standard eircom router for xbox ad it works perfectly.
    i use it wired though but i can play online computer games like halo wirelessly perfectly aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

daz801 wrote: »
    I use a standard eircom router for xbox ad it works perfectly.
    i use it wired though but i can play online computer games like halo wirelessly perfectly aswell

The problem with it dropping seems to be over wireless, its the zytopia or something, the only 2 mates of mine that have both swear at it every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

think they send black zyxel modems now not the old netopias and you can configure your nat on these modems and open ports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

To stop the wireless connection dropping every 30mins or so just go into router configuration and reset the re-authentication timer up from 3600 to the maximum 9999 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sirione

zyxel routers are crap, had a lot of problems with nat on mine. got a belkin and it works like a dream :)

• Advertisement

sirione wrote: »
    zyxel routers are crap, had a lot of problems with nat on mine. got a belkin and it works like a dream :)

Its mostly nat problems i have atm, my isp is a bit pants. But i dpnt really want to get lugged with the crappy eircom zyxel either so i have ordered the buffalo one.

As it stands i cant play multiplayer in red dead, castlevania, halo, gears or L4D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Its mostly nat problems i have atm, my isp is a bit pants. But i dpnt really want to get lugged with the crappy eircom zyxel either so i have ordered the buffalo one.

As it stands i cant play multiplayer in red dead, castlevania, halo, gears or L4D.
    how is your Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router working out?

im thinking of buying one and want to make sure my xbox wont have any issues, with online play and streaming movies/music to the xbox.

how much did you end up paying for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im getting Eircom installed sometime this week and have decided that the router they send isn't going to be up to scratch with the reported dropping after 30 minutes or so etc.

I think i have settled on the Buffalo Nfiniti WHR-HP-G300N which can be seen here http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/routers-and-access-points/nfiniti-wireless-n-essential-high-power-router-access-point-whr-hp-g300n/

My concern is atm i have a wireless isp and am using an intellinet 150n but my nat is stuck at moderate and i cant open ports no matter what i try, coupled with shoddy service and xbox live dropping every couple of hours, its basically rendering xbox live unusable. Im just wondering if anyone knows if i will have better luck with this router or should i be aiming for something different. The reason im going for a wireless N router is i wont be able to plug the xbox directly into the router unless i use homeplugs, and i want to have the best possible connection for reach :D

So will the Buffalo router be ok or will i try a different one?

Cheers in advance

had that problem with the router. i'm not big into all that stuff but i'l get back to you later because there is a way around it because we had the same problem with the intellinet router.

it was a pretty simple fix as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I have a Buffalo WBMR-HP-GN and can't seem to get it connected wirelessly to xbox live. It connects fine wired and my pcs can connect to the router over wireless.

I have spent the day being bounced around between Xbox live support, Buffalo and my ISP.

Has anybody seen and overcome this problem?
    Pulling my hair out at this stage....

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    how is your Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router working out?

im thinking of buying one and want to make sure my xbox wont have any issues, with online play and streaming movies/music to the xbox.

how much did you end up paying for it?

Tore my hair out trying to get the zyxel to work as a bridge, couldnt get the buffalo to go to the internet, got it to work for my network fine. If anyone has any suggestions theys be much appreciated cos the zyxel is working but it drops out after 3 hours which doesnt help RDR or wont help reach

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    had that problem with the router. i'm not big into all that stuff but i'l get back to you later because there is a way around it because we had the same problem with the intellinet router.

it was a pretty simple fix as far as i know

Im using the intellinet for my other isp so its fine for that, not the greatest wireless router i've ever encountered though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have a Buffalo WBMR-HP-GN and can't seem to get it connected wirelessly to xbox live. It connects fine wired and my pcs can connect to the router over wireless.

I have spent the day being bounced around between Xbox live support, Buffalo and my ISP.

Has anybody seen and overcome this problem?
    Pulling my hair out at this stage....

Just wondering if anyone can help me as I still have not resolved this. I am on email support with Buffalo and over the past 3 days they have me changing one setting on my router at a time. Still have the same error where DNS settings cannot be resolved.

Really appreciate any help.
    Thanks

Advertisement