Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Clicks to Zero

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    For any sort of varminting, longer range plinking and target shooting with a centre fire rifle you will more than likely dial in the elevation and windage for more consistent results.

Wind can blow from the left or the right and therefore it does indeed make sense to leave the windage adjustment centred to allow for equal amounts of left and right correction

But as a bullet leaves a gun it is only dropping, so lets say you throw on the scope and zero it at 100 yards. Beyond 100 yards you will only ever need to dial the scope up.

So why would you centre the elevation turret when you'll rarely dial down from your 100 yard zero?

The lads could be right too the scope may perform best , optically, while centred but it's not something I have looked into. It's not something I'd worry about either as any target shooting, long range plinking and varminting I have done have all been in broad daylight where optical performance is not a limiting factor.

What focal plane is your reticle in?

If it is the first focal plane I don't think these are effected by impact shifts through the various magnification levels

Second focal plane reticles are (don't have a clue to what degree but have read it online before, not accurate enough myself to notice it I think) and high end ones have this calibrated out at the factory. Does anyone with a Nightforce scope know if this is the case for them, i'd imagine so at their price.

Nighforce have a Zero'ing mag ~ mid way in the mag settings on both of my NF scopes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Nighforce have a Zero'ing mag ~ mid way in the mag settings on both of my NF scopes

Is that not the ranging magnification for using the reticle markings to range objects or is it also the recommended magnification for zeroing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Picture says it all as to why you need to have the cross hairs centered.

reticaloffsetimage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Is that not the ranging magnification for using the reticle markings to range objects or is it also the recommended magnification for zeroing?

The scope will have/should have a mark on the zoom ring that when used will give the correct ranging information for the mildots.

My Bushnell 6-24 has the x12 zoom number in red to show this. x24 zoom = double x6 = half.
    The zoom has nothing to do with zeroing only that you can zoom into the POA better.

Good info on here

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/nightforce_scopes.htm

• Advertisement

You are correct!! Nightforce reticles are located on the second focal plane. This means that the size of the reticle does not change as the power is changed.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/LIBRARY/NFOwnersManual5_08_webNoWarrantyCard.pdf

There is my scope manual (note how it says to Zero with the bolt removed)

I knew I had somerthing a*se ways.

Good info on their manual BTW
    Nightforce are Class Glass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clivej wrote: »
    The zoom has nothing to do with zeroing only that you can zoom into the POA better.

Clive I remember reading before, cant recall where, that second focal plane scopes suffer from POI shifts through the magnification range

Just wondering does anyone know do any modern scopes still suffer from this at all.

Clive I remember reading before, cant recall where, that second focal plane scopes suffer from POI shifts through the magnification range

Just wondering does anyone know do any modern scopes still suffer from this at all.

Well My Zero range holds true from 50-350 on all mags in all light settings

Thats in my experience anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

clivej wrote: »

+1.

Magnification, especially on higher end scopes will have nothing to do with zeroing. Even if the scope is not of "top" quality most zeros are done between 25-100yds max. No scope will have shift in these distances.

If you zero your rifle at 100yds (say) on 8 power (with an 8-32 power scope) and it is hitting 3 inches low and 3 inches right. Then you zoom in with the scope right into 32 power. Fire again without making any adjustments and you will still be 3 inches low and 3 inches right.

As clivej it has no bearing on zeroing. Only your ability to clearly see the POI/POA.

The "R" on nightforce scopes as with all scopes and their respective ranging magnification settings are only for use with the MOA "hash" marks on the reticle, be they 1MOA or 2MOA per mark. Its for quciker and easier adjustment of your POA rather than dialling in your scope, but is not worth a stocking of p**s if your scope is not zeroed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement