If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice and quote needed

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,
    Newbie poster here, but I'm after some advice / thoughts and quote on 3 different systems I have the delight on equipping.
    1) First of all, sitting room in my home. Need to replace an old (20yrs) Technics system with something a bit more up to date. Just after an amp, ipod dock and floor standing speakers at the moment. However also want to hook up new Samsung 6 series LCD and BP1620 Blu ray player to amp for just 2 channel sound. Wife has issues with ripping an expensive wood floor up for wires for 5.1 surround, and I'm not so sure wireless speakers are that great as yet, or "virtual surround" systems are great for music? Having said that I am open to opinions! Budget wise is about 400 Euro.

2) Have 1 holiday home already installed with 10no Kef iQ ceiling speakers (4 ohm) in 5 room zones and speaker switch, again need amp and ipod dock just for music. Although might consider going AV receiver route as might in time add central speaker and sub for surround in main room. Budget wise about 300 Euro

3) Another holiday house - installed with 6 Speakercraft WH ceiling speakers (8 ohm) in 3 zones with speaker switch. This time just a budget amp and ipod dock, around the 200 Euro mark.

All with delivery down to Cork if you would be so kind. As I said I am open to options and thoughts on the set ups - particularly number 1.

Thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Here's some advice - sell one of the holiday homes and build on a true home theatre in the other! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fergey101

Fair point, although I don't think I would get enough for the in the current climate!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

fergey101 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Newbie poster here, but I'm after some advice / thoughts and quote on 3 different systems I have the delight on equipping.
    1) First of all, sitting room in my home. Need to replace an old (20yrs) Technics system with something a bit more up to date. Just after an amp, ipod dock and floor standing speakers at the moment. However also want to hook up new Samsung 6 series LCD and BP1620 Blu ray player to amp for just 2 channel sound. Wife has issues with ripping an expensive wood floor up for wires for 5.1 surround, and I'm not so sure wireless speakers are that great as yet, or "virtual surround" systems are great for music? Having said that I am open to opinions! Budget wise is about 400 Euro.

2) Have 1 holiday home already installed with 10no Kef iQ ceiling speakers (4 ohm) in 5 room zones and speaker switch, again need amp and ipod dock just for music. Although might consider going AV receiver route as might in time add central speaker and sub for surround in main room. Budget wise about 300 Euro

3) Another holiday house - installed with 6 Speakercraft WH ceiling speakers (8 ohm) in 3 zones with speaker switch. This time just a budget amp and ipod dock, around the 200 Euro mark.

All with delivery down to Cork if you would be so kind. As I said I am open to options and thoughts on the set ups - particularly number 1.

Thanks all,

fergey,

Thanks for the post - that's a pretty tight budget you have set us - but we will do our best:

System 1: This one meets most of your requirements & exceeds some of them as well - in the 1st instance it will blow your 20 year old Technics out of the water , secondly it includes a decent active subwoofer and a Blu-Ray DVD however it does not have floorstanding speakers - but the speakers are pretty tall and slim bookshelves (designed to work with a wallmounted / slim TV) http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/42/100/42/BCS-FS500/index.html

We can do this unit at just £279.95 (it's currently reduced to just £299.95 on the .com uk website!) €339.99 in yoyo..

If your hear was set on separates / floorstanders we could also offer the following combination:

Yamaha RXV367 AV Receiver:£169.95 http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipods-docks-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock
    Cambridge Audio ID10 iPod dock: £19.95 http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipods-docks-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock
    Eltax Concept 400 Floorstanding speakers: http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/eltax/concept-400/elta-concept-400-blk £119.95

Total system price = £309.95 - I can do this at £299.95 & £19.95 for shipping / €389.99 in yoyo.

System 2: 10 speakers is a huge load for most amps to drive - however I would recommend the excellent Denon PMA710ae if I was to recommed=nd any amp in this price range - it's a really reliable and excellent sounding workhorse and it sounds excellent - however I would caution you against using it with all speakers powered at the same time as that would eb a load that it was not designed for - I would also recommend that you use a really good quality speaker switch - such as a QED - driving a load like this it would be really easy to blow the output trannys on any amp if you have a poor quality speaker switch. We can do the following:

Denon PMA710AE amplifier:http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=2&action=detail&Pid=421
    Cambridge Audio ID10 ipod dock:http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipods-docks-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock
    £279.95 / €339.99

System 3: Again quite a difficult load ( 3 Pairs) for a budget amp to drive - I'm going to blow your budget a little on this one (but you do get a radio/tuner thrown in):

Teac AG980 Receiver:http://www.teac.co.uk/products/separates-AG-980.php
    Cambridge Audio ID10 ipod dock: http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipods-docks-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock
    £204.95 / €249.99

Total price would be £764.85 if you went for the Pioneer system in System one - not too bad for 3 systems!

Thanks again for the post and give us a shout if you would like us to reserve anything for you or if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fergey101

Thanks for the reply, food for thought there alright. One thing I might change would be for system 1, would it be worth changing the AV receiver up to a Onkyo TSXR308? Understand it will do audio over HDMI, without need for separate leads? Just might be handing for interconnects to the Samsung LCD and Blu ray I have.
    I will also do without the ipod dock in this system as I have a Roku soundbridge I will dust off and use.
    Other systems I think suit as I can see at the moment. Only other question would be on shipping, would you do the 3 systems together for the £20? I would keep payment in sterling, it's easier as I have sterling accounts as well.
    Thanks again.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

fergey101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, food for thought there alright. One thing I might change would be for system 1, would it be worth changing the AV receiver up to a Onkyo TSXR308? Understand it will do audio over HDMI, without need for separate leads? Just might be handing for interconnects to the Samsung LCD and Blu ray I have.
    I will also do without the ipod dock in this system as I have a Roku soundbridge I will dust off and use.
    Other systems I think suit as I can see at the moment. Only other question would be on shipping, would you do the 3 systems together for the £20? I would keep payment in sterling, it's easier as I have sterling accounts as well.
    Thanks again.

Fregey,

No problem if you wanted to swap to the Onkyo TXSR308 - it's a really nice receiver - on the delivery front - the very best I could do would be £29.95 for the 3 systems - or of course you could collect free of charge from the shop no problem?

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.