Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it time to finally let go?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭

Never though it would come to having to ask this question.

My dog, a 13 year old Westie, has gone downhill slowly over the last year.

It all started with seizures and he was put on a rake of pills. A possible brain tumor.

Since then he has slowly become less of the dog he once was. Gradually becoming less responsive and more down trodden.

In the last 2 weeks I think he has hit rock bottom. It seems as though he has gone senile and has dementia.

He doesnt have any awareness of surroundings anymore. If I call him he will look up but will look all around as if I called him from a different place.

He constantly pees in the house and no longer wants to go for a walk (something he used to go bonkers for).

He walks around the back garden in circles, around and around, always to the right. He walks into tables and chairs in the house and then looks at them as if to say "where did you come from?"

Im 20 and have had my dog from a pup when I was 7.

It would be hard to let him go as he is/was such a brilliant, daft, lovable, dog with a character of his own.

Really did not ever want to ask this question and I know its a matter of time.

Thanks.

100_1038.jpg

Lucky, summer 2009.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I think when the time comes that you begin to question quality of life over quantity of life, you have answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sorry to hear this, If it were me i'd let him go before he gets any worse and suffers.

I think you already know the answer though and are just looking for some support, i don't think anybody would say it's the wrong thing to do at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Always better to do it a week too early than a day too late.

There are some folk who peddle 'whenever there is life there is hope' which I think is bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

He has loved you all his life. Now its your turn to do the unthinkable, because you have loved him back for all of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I was in a similar situation. My dog had most of the symptoms you described. He had cataracts so he would often walk into things/around in circles in the garden. He had a bad left shoulder so he always went left in circles.

I'm not convinced he had dementia as he always knew who was petting him and still seemed to be happy in his own quiet way. But from looking at him people often thought he did have dementia. We eventually put him to sleep when he started moaning for no apparent reason.
    Always better to do it a week too early than a day too late.
    I feel that we left it too long and he suffered towards the end.

Only you can make the decision about your dog as you know him best. If he really has a low quality of life then I think it is time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i feel so sad for you having to make this awful decision.
    2 months ago i had to go through the same thing and i will never forget it. taz had lymphoma and we tried the chemo but unfortunately it didnt do the job..my vet told me to bring him home for his last few weeks, her advice was that when he had more bad hours than good hours in a day then it was time. he was bad for 2 days before i brought him to the vet, i couldnt bring myself to do it on the first day in case he picked up even though i knew deep down that he wasnt going to. on his last day i took the day off work and cuddled up on the couch with him before he was pts that eve.it was the hardest thing i've ever done but it was the best for him.
    you will make the right choice for him and it will be the bravest thing you ever do, i wish you well with your decision and we'll all be here for you if the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

On two ocassions I have had to make that hard call and let a dog go.
    On both occasions I reflected that i should have done it sooner.

Holding on is selfish--it is not in the animals best interest.
    I am sure you want reassurance--well you have received it here from previous posters.

If you love your dog--and i have no doubt that you do--then do the decent thing--and your conscience will be at ease.

Remember the good times-you shared -you will no doubt always cherish those.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah so sorry to hear that tazwaz...you know you did everything you could for him. Awful that the chemo didnt work at all on him :( RIP Taz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Just wanted to say i am thinking of you OP and your beautiful westie.

I am 25 and the dog we had since i was 11 passed away in April and i am finding it so hard.

It's such a pity their lives are so short, we really only have them for a while. It sounds like your little guy is losing his battle and needs to go to sleep. He is so lucky to have had such a fantastic life and caring owner.

Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

Sorry to hear, but i had a little scottie, and her down turn was rapid, it literally started to go downhill on a wednesday and by sunday she was completely incapacitated, and it was then we decided look, she's given us 8 wonderful years, always good humoured, funny, playful, a little sweetheart, I think we're going to have to put her at peace and started to drive to the vets to put her down, and no word of a lie, she looked up at me from the seat she was on, and it was as if to say, this is it, thanks for everything, and she made that decision to go herself.

Sorry you have to be faced with this, it still makes me cry 3 years down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

OP I think you have had plenty of advice - my input is only this my friend I am sorry you are going through this quandry and hope what ever comes around you are well - sorry bud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I couldn't even read all the responses as it is upsetting to think about such a thing. Sorry you have to go through this OP. :( If you feel your dog is suffering then it probably is that time.
    I'm going to soon have to ask the very same question you are asking.

My dog is 15 years old and seems to have aged so much in the last year. He hasn't gotten to the stage your dog has. His hearing comes and goes and his eyes are not what they use to be. Sleeps alot more but does still have good energy at times.
    I'm hoping when the time comes that maybe he will pass away in his sleep some night rather than me have to put him down. Can't even bear to think about it. Awww crap I'm starting to tear up!!!

You know everyone is here for you throughout this difficult decision/time.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I have been through this twice and my vet gave me the best advice when I was faced with this awful decision he told me that when the time comes the dog will let you know. Its so true one evening in the house I was having a little chat and a cuddle with one of mine and she just looked right into my eyes and in that instant I knew she was telling me it was time. Its awful and such a hard decision to make but the dog will tell you when its time just listen to him and you will know. Its been 5 years and I have two young doggies now but I remember that night like it was yesterday and it still brings tears to my eyes. They both lived a long and happy life and gave so much joy and love to me. They will always have a special place in my heart but I know they are resting safe now with no pain.

Advertisement