Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Cycle Training

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Guys,

I recently decided to try and train for a triathlon. Being realistic I am going to give myself 9 months to fully train and aim to attempt one early next summer. And before then do a few 5 and 10k's when ready.

At the moment I can run about three miles, I also swim so that will just be a case of building up the strength and distance.

The cycling is a different story, I use the exercise bikes in the gym but can only do about 4k and am totally wrecked.

My question is, is using the exercise bikes at the gym a good reflection of actually training for the cycle part of a triathlon or would I be wasting my time on these and should I just buy a bike and start cycling outdoors.

Any suggestions on this or training for a first triathlon in general would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

I would say you'd be best to splash out on a bike if you can. The position of the gym bikes is totally different to a road bike, and you will need to get used to the cycling position in order to be comfortable and more aero in the future. I have'nt used gym bikes much but i think 4k will translate into more on the road as you will roll more! Its also more fun on the road. In general I would say the best thing to do is join a club if possible, you will get great advise and have prenty of people to train with. You should look to do one long spin at a minimum. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Guys,

I recently decided to try and train for a triathlon. Being realistic I am going to give myself 9 months to fully train and aim to attempt one early next summer. And before then do a few 5 and 10k's when ready.

At the moment I can run about three miles, I also swim so that will just be a case of building up the strength and distance.

The cycling is a different story, I use the exercise bikes in the gym but can only do about 4k and am totally wrecked.

My question is, is using the exercise bikes at the gym a good reflection of actually training for the cycle part of a triathlon or would I be wasting my time on these and should I just buy a bike and start cycling outdoors.

Any suggestions on this or training for a first triathlon in general would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Buy a bike. Try second hand first.

There are lots of good triathlons, but also lots of bad ones :)

Camlough would be my favourite sprint distance race and was the first OW one I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not a triathlete, so I'll bow to other's far superior experience, but if you can only manage 4k, something must surely be wrong, like you're pushing way too hard. Have you tried slowing down?

As as once or twice a week cyclist, I agree with the other guys, buy a second hand bike and get out there. Gym bicycles are soul destroyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I did my first Tri a couple of weeks ago, Tri795 in Bunclody. The swim was in an outdoor pool which was a nice way to start my first race.

I'd deffo say get a bike, and I'd also recommend a 2nd hand one to start. I bought a Trek 1000 from a fellow boardsie for €300 and haven't looked back.

I used to think that the gym bike would be similar(ish) but it really isn't. You need to get out on the road. To add to that I'd say you'll be surprised at the distance you'll actually go on the road as compared to a gym bike i.e. I'd roll off 60-80kms with little effort at this stage - coming from a position of having not cycled in years until June 2010.

Follow threads in this forum as I found them to be of most help - especially with regards to brick training . Running directly after biking is one of the most difficult things I'd ever done, but practice minimises the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

but if you can only manage 4k, something must surely be wrong, like you're pushing way too hard. Have you tried slowing down?

+1 - either going too fast or have too much resistance on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Gym bicycles are soul destroyers.

+1, they are even worse than treadmills. Horrible saddles, usually covered in sweat from the last guy. Cycling in a gym also raises your heart rate higher than you want as you overheat and your blood rushes around trying to cool you down.

Having said that though, when I decided to do a tri it was a couple of months before I got a bike and I used to join in the spinning classes in the gym. They are good to start with and better than plodding away by yourself. I even enjoyed them, hoever once I got my first raod bike, I never looked back*

I agree with what the lads are saying, get a bike. Even second hand, there are great deals out there.

*until I got a turbo :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Many thanks for all the info, it is extremely helpful, I think i will try a few spinning classes until I buy a bike (it'll take a few weeks saving). From looking at other posts something like a trek 1000 might be the way to go?

Also, what is the deal with the turbo trainers, just recently found out about them. What should I look for in one and roughly what price would you expect to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

+1, they are even worse than treadmills. Horrible saddles, usually covered in sweat from the last guy. Cycling in a gym also raises your heart rate higher than you want as you overheat and your blood rushes around trying to cool you down.

Having said that though, when I decided to do a tri it was a couple of months before I got a bike and I used to join in the spinning classes in the gym. They are good to start with and better than plodding away by yourself. I even enjoyed them, hoever once I got my first raod bike, I never looked back*

I agree with what the lads are saying, get a bike. Even second hand, there are great deals out there.

*until I got a turbo :rolleyes:

Turbo trainer........goor or bad........for the winter evenings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

better than not training but better still would be a good set of lights and get out on the road. I hate turboing more than almost anything.

better than not training but better still would be a good set of lights and get out on the road. I hate turboing more than almost anything.

The roads around me are too tight and dangerous to be honest. I can run at night in town but its too small to cycle at any decent speed and get any great ditance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I quite like the turbo for anything up to 90 mins but it gets hard to stay focused after that. I don't mind putting the lights on and heading out in the dark. I did it all winter 2008 before I had a turbo and in all weather too. Now that I have the turbo option though I'll use that when its just muck out. Can't beat the dry roads on a moonlit crisp chilly winter morning though... If you are just starting out too it might be an idea to get out on the road when possible to develo your bike handling ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

In the absence of high end lights and a will to brave all elements a turbo is the only man.
    You can faff about on the roads in winter but a turbo is much more time efficient.

tunney wrote: »
    In the absence of high end lights and a will to brave all elements a turbo is the only man.
    You can faff about on the roads in winter but a turbo is much more time efficient.

Any a good turbo trainer to purchace would be cough cough;)

Im abnormal in the fact that i can easily spend ages training on spin bike/turbo and enjoy it - weird.

I do love getting outside though and am thoroughly looking forward to the chilly, foggy, crisp evenings over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ULstudent wrote: »
    Im abnormal in the fact that i can easily spend ages training on spin bike/turbo and enjoy it - weird.
    yes, but you never really thought you were normal did you?

yes, but you never really thought you were normal did you?

I'm a special kind of normal :D

Advertisement