Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joystick for Fight sim

Options
  • 16-08-2010 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I want to get a joystick for flight simulator because its hard to use a keyboard flying big planes (its nearly impossible to keep a 737 in a straight line while taxiing) Does anybody know of good joysticks for flight simulator that are also under €30? thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Saitek AV8R is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro force feedback joystick in conjunction with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. I would rate it as satisfactory. I am not sure if it is possible to get one for under 30 Euro. If you were to find a second-hand example on-line, I would imagine the post and packaging would be expensive given it's bulky and aquard size and shape and the weight of it's transformer.

A word of warning : The connector on the Sidewinder joystick in question is an obsolete 'game port' connector. My desktop computer, Gateway Pentium III, has one. It seems there is no converter to interface with USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've a couple of MS Sidewinder force feedback 2 joysticks..........one's well over 5 years old and still works perfectly as they're built like a tank. It has a usb connection too.

Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-2-Joystick-B00005NIMB-L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

I use a Logitech Attack 3.

Got it from Argos a few years ago for around €25, but I don't see it on their website today. With any luck they could have one you like in PCworld, Peats or Maplins. You might even have some luck in Easons, Gamestop or Tower records/HMV somewhere like that.

The attack 3 is a sturdy analogue joystick with a heavy base, 11 assignable buttons and a small throttle type control.

logitech-attack-3-joystick-l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have this one. Has twist for a rudder, and a top hat for views. Was quite cheap.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/joysticks/devices/291

They also do a Wireless one which I considered for use with the laptop, but never bought.

I used to have a CH Products one years ago and it was fantastic as it had trim control. Great for flight sim. It wasn't USB though. I'd love a new one but they are quite expensive.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html
    http://www.chproducts.com/shop/usb.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

+1 on BostonBs Logitech Extreme 3d Pro recommendation.They MAY be unreliable but theyre cheap enough to go through one every year or two ...use yer noggin and return it just before year warranty expires...Ive had 5 or 6 in the last 10 years .Ive tried EVERYTHING(including 200-300 Cougar HOTAS)except the new T16000M and can assure you if you want a tight spring (tighter at the center than Cougar which is amazingly floppy where it counts and only becomes 'hard/stiff' in a horrible 'plasticky ' way around the gate )and comfortable grip(who cares if the Saitek is 'comfortable'-may as well be holding a toilet roll tube!- for left handers AS WELL) there is nothing comes close .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've always struggled with the dead zone on my joysticks. Especially in IL2. Less so in Jet sims where its not that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

While the twist rudder is very 'intuitive' I found for a beginner (and 10 years on I have never been able to give it up despite trying CH rudder pedals which I HATED!)it can be a real speed killer as there are inevitably unintended movements of it by user.So I use 'all 100s' for pitch and roll in IL2 while using much slower (initial) inputs for yaw/rudder

1X=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
    1Y=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
    1RZ=0 0 0 1 3 8 20 33 53 78 100 0

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

If you got the cash, one of these babies.

hotas-stick.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BostonB wrote: »
    I have this one. Has twist for a rudder, and a top hat for views. Was quite cheap.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/joysticks/devices/291

Got one of these for X-Plane on my Mac, it was just under Eur 40 in www.elara.ie you can pick up in Park West to save on shipping. So far I'm very pleased with it. Considering it's an entry-level model it has lots of buttons which can be assigned to the various functions and it has a wide base with four rubber pads for desktop stability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement