Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Schnauzer breeders

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I am finding it near impossible to find giant schnauzer pups for sale let alone a breeder. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Any opinions on the breed itself would be great also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I was looking for one of them a few years back but it was only miniture breeders i could find. Beautiful looking dog with bundles of energy

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/giantschnauzer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Contact the Irish Kennel club, they can put you in contact with Giant Schnauzer breeders. Great choice by the way ! Love them !

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Hi nononolan, about two years ago i had your same dilemma. I dare say it is impossible to find any Giant breeder here in Ireland.
    In my own country (Italy) they are very common; in fact you may even get lucky and rescue one. Bottom line i had to go in UK to get one.
    Over there there are quite few breeders, try http://ferncliffeschnauzers.com/giant_puppies.php
    The advantage of getting a pup from UK is that there is no need of pet passport and is possible to get the pup straight home; if you'll choose to get your giant pup somewhere else you will be subject to wait for the due vaccination (i think the pup has to be at least 6 month for that).
    As for my Giant (Dante is his name), he is now 20 months old, great temper, very responsive, farly easy to train, highly loyal: i absolutely reccomend the breed.
    I'm try to attach a Dante picture to the message....i hope it work.
    Good luck for your serch.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I ll be making a jaunt to the uk as from what I can gather there has been only one litter in the last two years in Ireland. I've contacted the uk giant schnauzer club and a good few breeders, certainly seems to be a bigger scene over there. I hope to get a black coated male, so fingers crossed. I ll keep you posted!

Micheleabc. Only coped the photo link in your post, Dante is unbelievable. They grow so quick! Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Juice

Hi nononolan

There is a lady in Tipperary who keeps Giants. I dont know if she has a litter at the minute, but I can give you her number if you like?

I have a Giant Schnauzer named Oskar. They are fantastic dogs, extremely loyal and protective of their family. They are wonderful with children. I'm sure if you manage to source one you will be very happy with your choice. Be warned they need lots of exercise and attention!

Please be careful if you decide to purchase from the UK. There has been some quite irresponsible breeding of Giants over the last few years. An excellent breeder is Elizabeth Cracknell, she breeds mainly salt and pepper, but will have black males as is your preference. Im sure if you search online you will find her. I think the wait list is about one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Sadly I have to agree with Juice, for many breeders selling pup is only a very lucrative business, and many are willing to cat a good deal of corners.
    It worth to take some time and do proper research in finding a reliable Giant breeders. And remember, always view the parents and check the pups.

Hi juice, if you could pm her contact details to me that would be great. Ideally don't want to travel outside the country. I sent a few emails to different breeders around the uk and so far the only person to get back to me was Francis Krall of jafrak in Taunton Somerset. Their website seems highly professional and their dogs have won some prestigious awards. They have pups available in the near future so that's my only lead. If I were to decide to go with a jafrak pup, should I offer to pay a deposit to hold the pup til they are ready to leave their mother and then go over and pay the balance? Also what should I expect to pay roughly. From looking around it seems the median price is about £800.

Thanks for the pm juice, looks as though she has change phone numbers as its out of service.....uk here I come!!

Advertisement