Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwives Clinic, UCHG

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone been to the midwives clinic in uchg? Have an appt in couple of weeks (1st baby) and not sure what to expect and also not sure where in hosp it is :eek:. any feedback, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Heya. Congrats on the baby!

Well. You go in and you report to the desk for first time visits. Then you're told to go down to the scanning area, you knock on the door and they give you a number and you wait your turn. Then you get scanned and they give you some photos :)

Then you go and fill in your history with the midwives at the desk. After that you queue for blood tests, urine tests and blood pressure (bring your first morning urine sample if you can).

Then finally you wait to see a consultant (you have to see them on the first visit and they will decide if you're eligible for midwife led care).

It takes about 3 hours for the first visit (you don't notice too much because you're on cloud 9 after the scan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Myself and my girlfriend had our first baby there a month ago in UCHG and i'm delighted to say the midwives and the department in general, pre natal, labour, post natal are absolutely excellent. You are in good hands.

There is the odd bit of waiting here and there on the various visits but we could not fault the care, competance, professionalism and dedication of the staff. They have a great reputation and it's well deserved.

Congratulations on your expecting, enjoy the adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

McTigs wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend had our first baby there a month ago in UCHG and i'm delighted to say the midwives and the department in general, pre natal, labour, post natal are absolutely excellent. You are in good hands.

There is the odd bit of waiting here and there on the various visits but we could not fault the care, competance, professionalism and dedication of the staff. They have a great reputation and it's well deserved.

Congratulations on your expecting, enjoy the adventure!

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

Based on my wife's experience I can recommend going as early as possible for the first appointment. That way you stand a good chance of avoiding queues and completing the visit early. I think the ward might be open as early as 08:00 but not 100% sure if I am remembering right...

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

Based on my wife's experience I can recommend going as early as possible for the first appointment. That way you stand a good chance of avoiding queues and completing the visit early. I think the ward might be open as early as 08:00 but not 100% sure if I am remembering right...

You get given an appointment time though. You can arrive a bit early for it though, or you can ask for the first appointment. The last appointment is around 2.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 t_kel010

thanks kitty. Had my first appt in June and as its not a complicated preg they are sending me to midwives clinic for all future appts so was just wondering was that in the same place etc.

thanks everyone for replying. Feeling bit better about it now :)

• Advertisement

Ha ha sorry for all the unneeded info!

Yeah it's in the same place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

I went to the midwives clinic - had my baby girl 5 months ago. I mainly saw the same person each time, even after the birth which was great. All the midwives I came across were lovely, always felt very comfortable with them, didn't feel at all rushed like you sometimes do with a dr. You won't have to have all those tests at every appointment, just urine test. Take a book though, there can be quite a wait. Apart from that I was really happy with the care given. Good luck!

Advertisement