Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham Hotspur Champions League Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Have a read of this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304157/Jermain-Defoe-confident-Tottenham-Hotspur-Young-Boys-Berne.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I really wish Defoe would shut it rather than talking utter waffle about us being "Destined to qualify for the Champions League". What complete nonsense.

There's confidence and then there's jinxing!

If only he'd spend a bit more time assessing your own substandard performance from the other night rather than relying on destiny to carry us through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

This is without doubt the most important game in our history this century. I would imagine that Harry will have the boys raring to go from the first whistle. I hope we play with our most attacking and strongest possible team. After the game that JJ had on saturday I feel he may have a chance of starting this one as Wilson seems to be still suffering a world cup hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I reckon we should stick Bale up top after all Drogba started as a right back :PAC: forget crouch and defoe :)

I reckon we should stick Bale up top

This idea is starting to grow on me actually. I think he would do well there as he seems to be happy when attacking but wouldn't be the best defender around. With Modric out Harry should put out a really attacking team like this;

----Gomes----
    Kaboul---Dawson---King---BAE
    --Huddlestone---Jenas
    Lennon--Krankjar---Gio
    ---Defoe---Bale

I couldn't imagine Harry actually putting this team out but you never know, maybe he will be sat at home reading this thread right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

kakee wrote: »
    This idea is starting to grow on me actually. I think he would do well there as he seems to be happy when attacking but wouldn't be the best defender around. With Modric out Harry should put out a really attacking team like this;

----Gomes----
    Kaboul---Dawson---King---BAE
    --Huddlestone---Jenas
    Lennon--Krankjar---Gio
    ---Defoe---Bale

I couldn't imagine Harry actually putting this team out but you never know, maybe he will be sat at home reading this thread right now.
    It's something I've had in my head since last season but part of me says we'd miss that pace on the left wing and tells me to shut up :pac:

• Advertisement

If Gio got himself sorted he would be class on the left wing. He always looked the business playing there for Barca. Of course we need only look to a certain Mr. Henry who started as a left winger and the rest as they say, is history (thank fcuk).

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I reckon we should stick Bale up top after all Drogba started as a right back :PAC: forget crouch and defoe :)

I still think Bale is best when coming up from the back and taking the opposition defence by surprise. Sure it can leave us a little exposed at the left back position sometimes but that's when the holding midfielder or centre back covering comes into play.

Play Bale as a forward and he will tightly man marked throughout the 90 mins and I wouldn't see him getting the same freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Happy days. Looking forward to the draw tomorrow. Crouchy = Spurs legend. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

What a night. I thought that everyone played brilliant. Defoe covered some ground there tonight. The draw tommorrow will be some craic. We have to get one of lyon, barcelona, munich, inter,

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stedub

i am so chuffed with tonite, really delighted and without a clue of where yet i am randomly looking up flights for a spurs away champions league game... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Grats lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Can't wait for the draw tomorrow,Don't really care who we get as long as we do ourselves justice in the group stages,onwards and upwards for the Spurs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Right, so we're in the group stage. Now what do we want after that?

Personally I wouldn't mind us coming third in the group then having the prospect of a final in Landsdowne to look forward to.

Otherwise what are people's realistic expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

pithater1 wrote: »
    Right, so we're in the group stage. Now what do we want after that?

Personally I wouldn't mind us coming third in the group then having the prospect of a final in Landsdowne to look forward to.

Otherwise what are people's realistic expectations?

Same as that.

BTW, where is Baile na Ridire?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ruiseal wrote: »
    Same as that.

BTW, where is Baile na Ridire?

Balrothery?

Just outside Balbriggan, Co. Dublin.

pithater1 wrote: »
    Balrothery?

Just outside Balbriggan, Co. Dublin.

Thanks. Interested in placenames.

Roll on tomorrow at 5.00pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

[/thread]

:)

COYS!!!!!!!!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    [/thread]

:)

COYS!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

So who do you want in the draw,

It's gotta be Real Madrid or Barca for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Inter Madrid Spurs Auxerre

Bring it on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What the most favourable draw we could get?

who's the weakest team in Pot 1 ... Lyon maybe?>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just had a look at the draw permutations. In terms of difficulty I'd plump for.

Best Draw

Lyon
    Panathinaikos
    and one of Rubin Kazan, MSK Zilina, Bursaspor, CFR Cluj (TBH bar Cluj I haven't seen any of them play nor know much about them)

Worst Draw

Bayern Munich/Barcelona
    Real Madrid/Roma
    Auxerre

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just had a look at the draw permutations. In terms of difficulty I'd plump for.

Best Draw

Lyon
    Panathinaikos
    and one of Rubin Kazan, MSK Zilina, Bursaspor, CFR Cluj (TBH bar Cluj I haven't seen any of them play nor know much about them)

I'd take that.. except for Rubin Kazan, they're a serious banana skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Screw it,

Let's take on the best I say!!!

what times the draw at lads?

Its on tv3 from 5 o clock

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Would Sandro be the first player to win the Copa Libertadores and the Champions League in a 12 month period?

Of course it mightn't happen - he could be useless and we sell him on in January....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Ehat cahnnel is it on??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As long as we avoid Arsenal, Chelsea or Utd. Not because they are good/bad, but we get to play them in our own league.

On one hand, i'd love the easiest group (probably Lyon, Panathinaikos, and MSK Zilina). On the other hand, i'd love to see Inter/Barca, Real and whoever. Either way, its the group stages. Bring it on! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Kiith wrote: »
    As long as we avoid Arsenal, Chelsea or Utd. Not because they are good/bad, but we get to play them in our own league.

I assume you know we cant get another English team in our group ?

Advertisement