Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bsod problem on 1 of 2 computer's with different gpu.

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Ok, guys, i need some help again.

ive just built a pc for my brother, and its causing some problems.

we both have the exact same hardware except i have a 5770, and he has a 5850.

mine has worked for the last 5 months perfectly.
    Ive just assembled his, and after installing windows, went and began driver updating. all went great. then started loading a few programs.
    everything went smooth.

finally, i started installing starcraft 2, and it bsod.
    rebooted, and error checked.

it now blue screen's about 2 - 5 minutes after turning the pc on.

I checked the temps, and his cpu is running at 30*C - 38*C max.
    the gpu is sitting idle at 50*C and i know thats not right.
    it spikes to above 70, and then bsod happens.

the only problem is he has an aerocool m40 cube, and the card is heating the inside to extreme temps, so were gonna change the case.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but is it temperature causing it? as i opened the case up, and left it open with a fan blowing on it, and the temps dropped a lot, but it still went bsod on me over and over.

the bsod are all random aswel. no set error code.
    system service exception
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
    bad pool header

and one that has no details at all.

any help on this?

Intel Core i3-530
    OCZ StealthXStream 2 600 W
    Radeon HD 5830
    OCZ Gold Low Voltage 2 x 2 GB
    ASUS P7H55D-M EVO
    aerocool m40 case

ive tried the usual, remove all hardware, add the essential's etc, but im getting the same problem.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Page faults sounds like bad drivers or a dying HDD, but it could be memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I checked the temps, and his cpu is running at 30*C - 38*C max.
    the gpu is sitting idle at 50*C and i know thats not right.
    it spikes to above 70, and then bsod happens.

Why wouldn't that be right? GPU's are rated up to about 120c, granted no-one would ever want their GPU reaching those sort of temps, but they can handle them, if even only for relatively short periods of time. A GPU idling at 50 with decent cooling is entirely within the realm of normality. The error you're getting is more likely to be faulty hardware or bad drivers, especially if its within such a short time period. Don't be so hasty to blame the inherent design of the case or whatever else. As long as a setup is fundamentally sound, the crappiest case/cooling combo is not going to be the make or break factor in a build. Trust me. I've been through enough iCute/X-power type combo builds and, quite luckily, never had any problems at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I agree with the lads,sounds like a bad driver.
    I would try re-installing chipset/mobo drivers first,the gfx and sound.

If still no luck try safe mode to see if it runs without bsod'ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Page fault in non paged area sounds like a RAM problem. Run Memtest86+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Page fault in non paged area sounds like a RAM problem. Run Memtest86+

It is certainly an memory issue, but it could be the GPU RAM. I would do the above over night or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

It is certainly an memory issue, but it could be the GPU RAM. I would do the above over night or something

Very well could be this, the VRM's and Ram on most 5xxx cards usually get very hot. They could be overheating and causing the BSOD error, they would usually show it with problems on your screen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok, update!

i ran memtest for a few hours, and it found 1 fault in 1 of the 2gb sticks i have.

i put my own ram into the computer, and it works fine, so im returning it to pixmania tomorrow.

thanks for the help guys :)

Good to see you found the problem and i hope RMA goes well with Pix :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You'll have your RAM back in 3 months with Pixmania.

I didnt realise they have gotten better :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bet they'll get their highly trained staff try repair them first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ye go straight to ocz that what i always do with pixmania there w#####s to rma stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

massy086 wrote: »
    ye go straight to ocz that what i always do with pixmania there w#####s to rma stuff

You should always go straight to manufacturer, if you want a replacement, least, that's what I've been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You should always go straight to manufacturer, if you want a replacement, least, that's what I've been told.

Not exactly true, Your contract is not with the manufacturer but whoever You bought it off, in this case Pixmania. You have a receipt which is Your proof of the transaction between You and Pixmania, it doesn't include the manufacturer.

Although in this case You'd probably get a quicker response dealing directly with the manufacturer, I've found OCZ great for rma's, never question, Pixmania will drag their feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just an update :p

i recieved an email today, stating they had "recieved" my package....

funny i sent it to them by courier on the 19th....

the e-mail said it was being sent to their "technical" department for testing, and an update will be sent by e-mail in 21 working says...

i replied back asking them to either send me a new set of ocz 2v2 sticks of ddr3 ram, or issue a full refund by closing of business next friday.

im waiting for a response :/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just an update :p

i recieved an email today, stating they had "recieved" my package....

funny i sent it to them by courier on the 19th....

the e-mail said it was being sent to their "technical" department for testing, and an update will be sent by e-mail in 21 working says...

i replied back asking them to either send me a new set of ocz 2v2 sticks of ddr3 ram, or issue a full refund by closing of business next friday.

im waiting for a response :/

Looks like my ETA will be dead on :pac:

Advertisement