Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from 6th year?

• 17-08-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hey all :)

Really as bad as it sounds?! Trying to get my head in gear a bit here :rolleyes:

Pretty much aced the 5th year Summer exams without too much stress... kinda made me a little bit lazy over the Summer though.
    Basically haven't lifted a book the whole 3 months. My plan of "going over the whole History course again" and "making extra notes" completely went out the window.

Just want some views from some of our resident 6th year survivors (good luck to those getting results) :)

How did you find the year?

x

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

To be honest, it wasn't much different from 5th year. There is a lot of homework though - make sure you give each piece of homework your best attempt - it's like study if you do this. Don't just copy straight from textbooks.

Start studying early - don't leave it all for the end of the year, as it accumulates!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Well, I repeated this year and the main thing I can tell you about sixth year is that it's not as big a deal as it's made out to be. If you are working hard, listening in class, doing your homework and a bit extra study you should be fine. It's no big deal if you haven't been doing anything over the summer but you can't be too cocky either, you do have to work it won't just happen for you. That was my mistake first time around, I got ok grades in school and just assumed I do well. The important thing though is not to stress yourself out too much.

It can be daunting because our nation seems to be obsessed with the Leaving cert but trust me at the end of the day if you have the prepation done you'll be fine. Just keep consistent good grades and don't let the pressure get to you and you'll do great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 davey17

Waiting on my results now..Hopefully this will be a bit of help to you.. if I was you for

English... I would make out sample essays for poetry and cultural context or general vision and view point or whatever's on syllabus and for the comparison section. I learned 2 poets Boland and Kavanagh but if i was stuck i new i could have made an okay attempt on the others.. i think i was lucky so i wouldnt advise it..!!prepare for the composition section in English by doing loads of sample essays because that is 25 percent of the paper..!! decide if your going 2 do a short story or speech..etc in advance and practice and practice starting in September so you'll have loads of ideas for characters and sample answers prepared for when next June comes! personnally I would go for something other than short story because almost 60% of people attempt that on the day of the LC so your short story will really have 2 stand out if you want a good grade! also learn your quotes...!boring I no... but you wont be getting better than a D without quotes.!

Math's ..If you do Honors math's get exam papers and start doing exam questions from the 90's and work your way forward. they really do tend to run with some ideas for a few years and it is possible that they repeat questions.also dont sit in the class if you dont understand whats going on ..ask your teacher to explain a second time..!

Chemistry.. try and get your hands on exam questions that are before your exam papers .. the syllabus has changed but lots of this like organic are still on from the old course. they are much harder questions from years ago so don't worry if you get stuck. they will just prepare you if something awful comes up on the day because they are really the hardest questions they could ask you.

Home ec.. once you get the project out of the way don't think that its the end of it.. the topics you covered could still come up as a question in your lc so run through them ..! if your doing the social studies section (3) then education comes up a lot so don't leave it out..!also eggs hasn't ever really come up so keep an eye on that..! basically just read over a chapter and then if you have a work book try do the questions from them with out looking..!thats the best way I found studying..!also dont leave out the short questions they are worth a lot of marks!!

Accounting... is all down to practice..! don't forget the theory you wont be able 2 get an A1 with out it..!it really does make the difference.! I think you should do question 1 because it is really linked to all the other questions it also eliminates other questions like depreciation or debtors and creditors accounts which only come up as 60marks!just because sole trader came up this year2010 doesnt mean it wont come up again.. they repeated a question this year in section 3..so beware! also learn both question 8 and 9 because they tend 2 mix them questions!

French. Diary entrys..best way to go.. learn the opening and closing and all you have 2 do on the day is fill in the middle. saves you the effort or learning all the different types of letters! vocab.. use different vocab..
    ie.. instead of repeating "A mon avis.."(in my opinion)
    use ...D'apres moi/ selon moi.. / personnellement.. dont repeat vocab because they cant give you marks in the language section if you keep repeating even if its in a different written piece! practice tape ..its worth a hell of a lot of marks and also helps your ear for the oral..!(which is also very important!)but not as bad as it seems..! Dont leave oral to a few weeks before..if you can get your oral put on to your ipod even better..!

Thats all I can really think of..!sounds like a lot of work but if you start in September then you wont be stressing in your mocks as much and you'll be really well prepared..!!!oh dont waste time making study plans and time tables or trying to predict whats coming up. they never really work out!

...best of luck in 2011!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its not as bad as it sounds but its still pretty shítty. Like, I wouldn't have minded it that much If yeh got a break at Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc., but you'll find yourself stuck inside studying (well, in my case, trying to study!) or at a revision course. That for me was the worst, no fúckin break!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

School during the day is not much better. Teachers may treat you with a little more respect but they expect more work and effort from you in return. At the start you'll get a lot of homework and the trick is to just do it properly and learn what you can from it because they way the year works you won't really have time to go over that stuff again. After the first mid term the homework will ease off and you'll be expected to start studying. Start off at chapter 1 in every book and just go from there they way you like. If you keep a consistent study up you'll have the majority of your revision done by the mocks. After the mocks you just concentrate on finishing the courses in class and revising at home. The year itself is grand. There is a lot of pressure but the mocks and LC literally fly by. Once you do english on the first day the rest seems a lot easier.

• Advertisement

My plan of "going over the whole History course again" and "making extra notes" completely went out the window.

Things have changed since I did the Leaving (1999), folks studying over the summer was unheard of. You'll be fine, enjoy the remainder of your summer and get stuck in from September on, don't get stressed out over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

It is what you make of it, you can be the type of person who gets stressed about it or you are the type of person who just goes along with it. Its overexaggerated alright, in regards work load(well i'll see fot sure with the results i suppose :P). Personally I thought it was the best year in school along with first year in my mind. You can choose to go out on the weekends or study at the weekends. Both are equally valuable in my mind.
    Take it in your stride, have fun and to relieve the stress check out all the college courses now before you start school

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Thanks everyone :) Love how you all approach responses, genuine Irish nature comes through... :D

You're all great

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Davek1312

It goes by very fast so. To be honest I didn't do much work and if I could go back and do something different it would just to do an hours study everyday from day one.
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A headache mate:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement