Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MS to lose 2 Huge Exclusive Titles

• 17-08-2010 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

Its rumoured at Gamescom tomorrow that Sony will announce that both the Left 4 Dead & Mass Effect series are coming to PS3.If this is true its obviously a huge blow to Microsoft.What the Hell has happened MS the last 2 years they lost Bungie,Bizarre & ruined Creative Assembly.You have Rare which just ruin they're good name by releasing a new title. They've to pay Remedy,Epic & Crytek to make there Exclusive titles now.Don't get me started on Kinect,it looks its Dead on Arrival.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

same rumor was around at e3 about mass effect. L4D could happen

MS still have shares in bungie plus exclusive rights to halo games

Bizzarre were never exclusive to ms so its hardly a loss again MS own PGR series

Creative Assembly are owned by sega:confused:

Sony pay third party companys too for exclusives(MGS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Meant to say Ensemble Studios not Creative Assembly.Don't know how I mixed that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Mass Effect is such a brilliant game it deserves to be played by more people. L4D, meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

They've hardly "lost" L4D, Valve just couldn't be arsed making it for the PS3 and didn't trust anybody else to do it... They seem to have changed their stance recently with Portal 2 (most likely after Sony offered them a big bag of swag)
    Both titles are also already available for the PC, so it's not exactly on the same level as (hypothetically speaking) Uncharted coming to the 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

who cares lol!!

i am yet to come across a title multi platform to be better than on the 360, oh wait would get final fantasy for ps3 as just 1 disc and apart from that MEH my 360 rules the roost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well according to the interwebs, there was gonna be an annoucement of a ME1+2 bundle something like a week after the release of ME2...oh wait it was a few months after (so they could make it better in all ways...with exclusive DLC...and new characters)....oh wait it was gonna be announced at E3....oh wait its gonna be at Gamescom now.

L4D was never about MS holding exclusivity, just Valve not wanting to develop for the PS3 platform. But the advent of Steamworks on the PS3 means there must have been a big groveling session by Sony to allow a seperate platform on the PS3 (just look at them cutting the other OS support).

As for MS 1st party being ****, aye they have been fairly bad. For retail games, they have secured some amazing XBLA games over the past 2 years that puts it leagues ahead of the PSN in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I'm not bothered by this at all tbh, the more people playing good games the better. It'll force devs to up their standards accross all platforms, make deving games more profitabe and as such more likely to green light more titles in the future. I'd love to see exclusives gone completely, sure it may lead to delays , look at GTA, the last installment was delayed by 6 months simply because the ps3 version was not ready as fast as the xbox one BUT if a dev is going to make a game they are far more likely to get backing for it if the market opertunity is for twice the amount of consoles.

I'm an xbox fan boy..... BUT I'm a bigger fan of video games as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mass Effect on PS3? I'll believe it when I see it however I wouldn't exactly rule it out. Given that it's a UE3-based game I can't imagine it would hold up development time in any real way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Left 4 dead and mass effect were never 360 exclusives :rolleyes: They are both on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mass Effect 2 confirmed for PS3 - coming Jan 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Left 4 dead and mass effect were never 360 exclusives :rolleyes: They are both on PC.

Mass Effect was a console exclusive for the XBox. PC doesn't seem to count in this exclusivity kerfuffle because other 'exclusives' have often appeared on PC - it's seen as a different market. I think it came out as a Games for Windows Live, so it's a Microsoft thing.
    However, EA bought up BioWare after ME's release and there have been constant rumours since of a PS3 release. I'd say it'll take so long to come out as it takes EA's legal team to identify the appropriate clause in the contract MS and BioWare signed for the original ME (as it was always proposed as a trilogy).

As for Left 4 Dead, as has been mentioned here before, that wasn't an exclusive. Valve are originally a PC developer and porting between PC and XBox wasn't that big a deal in terms of programming and architecture. The PS3 is a different beast altogether and Valve didn't have the programming skills to do anything with the PS3, they outsourced the port of the Orange Box for the PS3 to another company and (to put it politely) that company made a complete bags of it. Valve moved away from the PS3 as a platform because it wasn't worth their efforts at the time: Link and Link

Valve have since had a change of heart (and perhaps a bigger change of bank balance, courtesy of Sony) and are now firmly in the multi-platform camp. They have added extra weight behind their PS3 release of Portal 2 because it will be possible to allow user mods, maps and updates to the title - something that is not possible over XBox Live.

I would generally agree with the move for more multiplatform titles, as long as the effort is worth the reward (you get better games for it) rather than it leading to a dilution of the experience because the developers have to do more work in less time to hit a deadline and release on the platforms at the same time (see the note above about GTA IV being delayed for 6 months while the PS3 version caught up with the XBox 360 one - allegedly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Even though I own a PS3 I'm raging.I Spent €65 on a Special Edition in January & I know they'll cram this one with Exclusive stuff for PS3.Why didn't Microsoft buy Bioware,when they'd the chance.The reasons to own a 360 are shrinking,my PC sucks so it can't play Mass Effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Mass Effect was a console exclusive for the XBox. PC doesn't seem to count in this exclusivity kerfuffle because other 'exclusives' have often appeared on PC - it's seen as a different market. I think it came out as a Games for Windows Live, so it's a Microsoft thing.
    However, EA bought up BioWare after ME's release and there have been constant rumours since of a PS3 release. I'd say it'll take so long to come out as it takes EA's legal team to identify the appropriate clause in the contract MS and BioWare signed for the original ME (as it was always proposed as a trilogy).

As for Left 4 Dead, as has been mentioned here before, that wasn't an exclusive. Valve are originally a PC developer and porting between PC and XBox wasn't that big a deal in terms of programming and architecture. The PS3 is a different beast altogether and Valve didn't have the programming skills to do anything with the PS3, they outsourced the port of the Orange Box for the PS3 to another company and (to put it politely) that company made a complete bags of it. Valve moved away from the PS3 as a platform because it wasn't worth their efforts at the time: Link and Link

Valve have since had a change of heart (and perhaps a bigger change of bank balance, courtesy of Sony) and are now firmly in the multi-platform camp. They have added extra weight behind their PS3 release of Portal 2 because it will be possible to allow user mods, maps and updates to the title - something that is not possible over XBox Live.

I would generally agree with the move for more multiplatform titles, as long as the effort is worth the reward (you get better games for it) rather than it leading to a dilution of the experience because the developers have to do more work in less time to hit a deadline and release on the platforms at the same time (see the note above about GTA IV being delayed for 6 months while the PS3 version caught up with the XBox 360 one - allegedly)

Just to clarify a few things, Valve didn't develop for the PS3, not because they didn't want to, but because they didn't like it, and thought it was a waste of time link

Also, it is possible to have user created maps etc on the Xbox 360, Far Cry did it years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

mcgovern wrote: »
    It is possible to have user created maps etc on the Xbox 360, Far Cry did it years ago.

That's true, and you can do it with Halo 3 in Forge mode. The thing is you can only do it with the graphics, models and other assests that the Developers give you.
    In PC-land for many games you can add your own sound and graphics (if you're so inclined) - as with the Master Chief mod for Unreal Tournament III, which could also be applied to the PS3 version, but not to the XBox version because there was no legit way to upload it into the game. Or you can also completely mod the game - see the vast number of Star Wars, Simpsons and other mods for Quake III, Half-Life and other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

its not a bad loss compared to the exclusive losses sony had this gen final fantasy and metal gear solid are bigger francises than mass effect.
    left 4 dead was never really a exclusive it just so happened valve hated the ps3 but have had a change of heart lately and more than likely a bigger bank balance.
    The exclusive microsoft lost that is a big blow imo was the bioshock franchise they should have put a exclusivity contract on that before it was released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So they're getting Mass Effect 2 in Jan 2011...big swing of a bag of mickies..at that stage ME3 will be hitting the xbox thereabouts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    So they're getting Mass Effect 2 in Jan 2011...big swing of a bag of mickies..at that stage ME3 will be hitting the xbox thereabouts..

Eh, no it's not. I also wouldn't be surprised if ME3 was released on PS3 the same day as on Xbox.

Advertisement