Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup 2011!!!

Options
  • 17-08-2010 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭

So its nearly a year away... I think I might get ahead of the ques and book soon to maybe go.

Flights whats the adverage price booking 12 months in advance?
    I was thinking of booking a campervan. Its prob the best way of getting about / cheap accom and when there isent a match on he can feck off to look else where..
    Anyone have any websites to rent a camper? or a priceish to rent one for a month..

There is websites offering flights / camper for 6 / tickets at €3500 each.. Sounds expensive.. Stupid expensive..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

World cup time in NZ will be crowded and expensive. The weather in October/November wouldn't be great either...Dec and Jan would be the best months. Would be good craic though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

afatbollix wrote: »
    So its nearly a year away... I think I might get ahead of the ques and book soon to maybe go.

Flights whats the adverage price booking 12 months in advance?
    I was thinking of booking a campervan. Its prob the best way of getting about / cheap accom and when there isent a match on he can feck off to look else where..
    Anyone have any websites to rent a camper? or a priceish to rent one for a month..

There is websites offering flights / camper for 6 / tickets at €3500 each.. Sounds expensive.. Stupid expensive..

I am heading over this weekend to get the party started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

381 EUR for tickets for the 4 pool games...
    I'd say you will be better off organizing it yourself...

http://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/shows/show.aspx?sh=RWC10TP11&view=rwcpt&ep=rwc

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

I live in Dunedin now and have tickets to all the games here (including the Ireland-Italy one) so let me know if anyone is passing through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

afatbollix wrote: »

You're leaving it a bit late, they all sold out about 6 weeks ago, for the most part. Try Maui/Britz etc. Google is your friend. kikistyletravel or campertravel are agencies.

I live in Dunedin now and have tickets to all the games here (including the Ireland-Italy one) so let me know if anyone is passing through!

I'll be there, no tickets yet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Ill be in nz somewhere, heading out to Christchurch now in oct for a year or maybe a bit more. Not sure where I'll be for the rwc so I haven't even looked about tickets, atmosphere will do me just fine if needs be!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

Seriously thinking of going down myself! For campervans and rentals I hear Britz are good...

http://www.britz.com/

and tickets are going back on sale soon as well for individual matches, another 400,000 so it says.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/destinationnewzealand/news/newsid=2039888.html#phase+ticket+applications+open+sept

gonna be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DKIL1979

Hi there

We have booked a spaceship car/camper thing so far and have our names in the draw for individual games (ireland v australia/russia/italy) and are hoping to get tickets. booked the ferry between the two islands last night, couldn't believe how booked the ferry was so for all looking to use it don't delay. cannot sort flights yet as return flight not available as yet. was trying to estimate and coming in and out in sept from london and they were crazy money e2500 :eek:, anyone else having better luck getting flights sorted. we are looking to go mid-sept to mid-oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

And there was me thinking I was super organised - tickets sorted, camper van booked and booking flights as part of my RTW trip but ferry crossing never occurred to me. Would u mind posting link to book it? What sort of price are we talking?? Thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

http://www.interislander.co.nz/

Takes 3 hours or so and give yourself time to check in. Nice boat trip though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Applied for tickets for the USA/Oz matches, didn't get either. Disappointed to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

4 of us going, 2 of us entered the lottery and applied for the full 4 sets of tickets per application. Both of us were successful in the lottery so we had 4 spare tickets to each of the 4 pool games, 2 are already gone, if anyone else is going and needs the other 2 sets let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Two of us also applied for individual tickets to the pool games excluding USA, got Italy and Russia but not Oz so we're absolutely gutted. Hopefully we'll get lucky in this last chance round that's coming up at the end of this month - it's first come first served so I'll be ready!

Have flights, hostel for Auckland, campervan and most campsites booked so I was feeling quite happy with myself... but I COMPLETELY forgot about the ferry until i saw this thread.

Thinspired wrote: »
    Two of us also applied for individual tickets to the pool games excluding USA, got Italy and Russia but not Oz so we're absolutely gutted. Hopefully we'll get lucky in this last chance round that's coming up at the end of this month - it's first come first served so I'll be ready!

Have flights, hostel for Auckland, campervan and most campsites booked so I was feeling quite happy with myself... but I COMPLETELY forgot about the ferry until i saw this thread.

good work. Havent even looked at campsites, any pointers?

Just in case anyone is looking for tickets we have 2 spare tickets for each of irelands 4 pool games thank to the lottery!

A word of warning - some of the campsites we looked at have jacked up their prices unbelievably! One, I think it's called the capital motor inn outside Wellington, quoted us $125 a night for a single powered site! Needless to say we went elsewhere. For matches there's good camping choice in Rotorua and Dunedin, think we paid around $30 a night. Auckland we have a hostel booked.

To save money we're going half nice posh campsites with pools etc and half Department of Conservation campsites which have showers, loos and not much else but are usually only about $10 a night.

This site has I think all of the major sites on it

http://www.nzcamping.co.nz/index.php

and this one is just for DOC sites

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/conservation-campsites-by-region/

If you're wondering about drive times and distances etc this is a pretty useful link:
    http://www.newzealand.com/travel/getting-to-around-nz/travel-times-and-distances/travel-times-and-distances-home.cfm

And if you want to nerd it up and plan out your itinerary already (like me) then this is a useful starting point, as well as just a general search on the Lonely Planet's thorntree forum.
    http://www.nzonline.org.nz/itinerariesstandard.htm#7Day

Also (this is totally nerdy I know) for anyone who's driving around NZ and wants to do the Milford Sound trek (it's three or four days) and is freaking out about where to park up for the few days without your camper/car being robbed or trashed, I found this site
    http://www.saferparking.co.nz/faq.html

Happy planning!

We are paying for flights this Fri. Cost €1281 including all taxes and charges from Dublin to Auckland thro Hong Kong with Cathay. Just querying if anyone has any better deal before we hand over the credit card?

Can't say for sure whether that's a good deal as we're heading over from Oz so haven't been looking for flights from here.

Check ebookers and also skyscanner is pretty good. You might be landed with multiple airlines but your journey is still counted as all in one for the purposes of delays and transferring luggage etc.

M Three - Do you mean you're selling tickets to each of the pool games individually? Or are you selling the four tickets in one package? If you're selling individually I'd defo be interested for Ireland v Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 journo gal

DKIL1979 wrote: »
    We are paying for flights this Fri. Cost €1281 including all taxes and charges from Dublin to Auckland thro Hong Kong with Cathay. Just querying if anyone has any better deal before we hand over the credit card?

Seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. I'm paying €700 one way to travel in late March (start of the low season) so I reckon €1281 is fairly reasonable- esp. if you are travelling in late August/September, when people will be flocking to the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomb24

hi, anyone with either Irelands group game package or individual tickets to get rid of I would be interested in buying a set, message me. I'm currently in NZ south island if anyone has any questions about things here

• Advertisement

Just booked the flights. Actually got a better deal and got return flights for €1172 with Travelpath. Heading out 22/9 and returning 18/10 with Ethiad/Air NZ via Dublin-Abu Dhabi-Sydney-Auckland. Thought flight was pretty good value, bring it on now!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

If anyone has spare tickets for Ireland Italy I would be more than happy to take them. Going to grab a few tickets for the Christchurch games Argentina england and a few others.

Got our Ireland Oz tickets tonight, paid a good bit for them but hey, it'll be worth it (and they weren't much more than what the Aviva is charging for this month's games!) Happy days! Just 10 months to wait now...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gijoe

Has anyone fully booked campervans etc. for the World Cup? What type of prices for campervans were you getting? I'm going for 3 weeks and seems to be around NZ$2000 for 21 days, 4 berth van.

Bank account is guna hate me in October

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Gijoe, I contacted a campervan rental company about getting a 6 berth van for 3 weeks and they quoted me around €4k which I think is ridiculously overpriced. Your quote sounds far more reasonable even if it is a smaller van. What company did you get your quote from? Mine was from www.autorentals.co.nz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Below is a good article written by Peter Bills, the rugby commentator, on how expensive NZ has become. I've never been but it's a good read. It's not just us who have problems re overcharging.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10659094

We booked last September and got a 2 berth camper with kitchen/wardrobe etc but no toilet for NZD$2,100 for 35 days which I think was pretty good. We used earlybookers.com, cheapest options are gone but they still have 2 berths for a similar length of time for under $3,000 as far as I know. Comes with all linen and kitchen supplies etc. And free 24-hour roadside assistance in case the whole thing breaks down!

We still have a few campsites left to book but apart from a few ridiculous quotes we've managed to stay on budget. Until I get there and completely blow my budget on ridiculous things like skydiving and bungee jumping, that is :D

Hi guys - my boyfriend and I have a campervan booked for the duration of the RWC, ferry crossing booked also. We haven't as yet looked into campsites and hadn't planned to [lot of travelling to be done before then so trying to organise that at the moment!]. Do you guys think booking campsites is necessary or will it be possible to wing it and hope for the best - not liking the sound of paying $125 per night for 6 weeks!!

SligoL wrote: »
    Hi guys - my boyfriend and I have a campervan booked for the duration of the RWC, ferry crossing booked also. We haven't as yet looked into campsites and hadn't planned to [lot of travelling to be done before then so trying to organise that at the moment!]. Do you guys think booking campsites is necessary or will it be possible to wing it and hope for the best - not liking the sound of paying $125 per night for 6 weeks!!

At the moment we're planning to play the campsites by ear. I reckon its just a few campsites that have set up a website for the purpose of getting advance bookings and screwing people. Always better to leave that kind of thing alone till you're actually on the ground

• Advertisement

M three wrote: »
    At the moment we're planning to play the campsites by ear. I reckon its just a few campsites that have set up a website for the purpose of getting advance bookings and screwing people. Always better to leave that kind of thing alone till you're actually on the ground

I agree, was getting a bit concerned when saw the above posts, hopefully we're not being too laid back and we get places easily enough at the time.

Advertisement