Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup 2011!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

M three wrote: »
    At the moment we're planning to play the campsites by ear. I reckon its just a few campsites that have set up a website for the purpose of getting advance bookings and screwing people. Always better to leave that kind of thing alone till you're actually on the ground

To be honest although you might ok leaving booking until you arrive for most places around NZ I'd recommend booking ahead for the likes of Auckland, Rotorua, Dunedin etc where matches are on. Considering they're planning on berthing cruise ships in the harbour to accommodate visitors I imagine accommodation will be tough to find, especially on a budget. We booked campsites in Rotorua for NZD$42 a night and Dunedin for $30 a night which is grand. In Wellington there are no hostels left for the dates we wanted and after lots of searching we got a campsite that charged $45 for the first night and $65 for the second.

With Auckland I'd say book your accommodation as soon as possible. We're staying in a hostel there, it's $300 for four nights which I suppose isn't too bad considering some of the quotes I was given.

Some places such as the YHA are only letting you book if you book a minimum of three consecutive nights, which is a joke.

Oh and one last thing - there are loads of Department of Conservation (DOC) campsites around NZ so we've kind of compensated for the more expensive campsites by opting to stay in these every third or fourth night. You won't pay more than $20 and the majority have water and toilets. Grand for a night where you're only stopping off en route to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Thinspired,

Are you just googling for campsites in those cities or have you a link that compares different ones? No harm in getting those places booked this early if it's that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Were planning on doing the whole thailand, phuket thing on the way out for 4/5 days but its seems that sept is the worst of the monsoon season there. Looked at kuala lumpur but it doesnt look like the kind of chilled out place we need.

Anyone else stopping on a beach somewhere on the way out or back?

This site http://www.nzcamping.co.nz/index.php seems to have all the main ones on it as well as some DOC ones. Ya it's no harm booking for the cities, just to be on the safe side for matches. Outside of that we're kind of just checking availability, because it's impossible to plan an exact itinerary this far ahead!

M Three as far as I know (the Asian monsoons really confuse me) the east coast of Thailand gets the most rain falls between September and December. On the west coast it's April to October, so the east coast would be your best bet ( I think????)

Maybe check out Fiji and Bali as possible beach resorts for a beach break. Not too sure about Fiji but if you fly New Zealand to Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne you can choose from Air Asia (super cheap but you have to book your own connecting flights from Kuala Lumpur to Bali) Jetstar (very cheap), Malaysian Airlines (reasonable if you book early), Quantas, Virgin Blue etc to get you to Indonesia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I have tickets to 3 out of the 4 Irish games. Flights over from Sydney wont be too bad but the accommodation will be the killer imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What's the deal with just parking your camper at the side of the road?

I've 4 spare tickets for Ireland v Italy in Dunedin if anyone's interested.

You can camp at the side of the road as long as there isn't a sign saying you can't, as far as I know. Google freedom camping New Zealand and you'll get plenty of options. This travel blog http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/3553-1.html also has quite a few mentioned, although I'm not sure how up to date it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

I'm living in Dunedin and will be going to all the Dunedin games. Plenty of parking space on the street outside our house if anyone ends up needing to park their camper van anywhere for a night.

(Good Jaysus, I hope I don't regret putting this out there...)

Also Couchsurfing is really quite big over here so people might want to consider joining that!

I'm living in Dunedin and will be going to all the Dunedin games. Plenty of parking space on the street outside our house if anyone ends up needing to park their camper van anywhere for a night.

You are very brave:) (as well as generous)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Might need to take you up on that one! we'll be in dunedin for the irl italy game. we'll buy the pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

My local rugby club (darfield 35 kms south east of christchurch) are setting up a campsite for the rwc, there hoping to have big screens and stuff and I can't see it been to expensive to stay in and should be mighty craic and cheap beer to, will let you guys know closer to the time. If needs be I'm sure we could let someone camp on the farm, anything for a fellow countryman! Even have two free sofa's, but I'm out in the countryside so might not be any use to people.

Have my tickets for Ireland Italy and I've made a few friends over here who are joining me for the game and one of their parents are from Dunedin and live right in the centre so that's my accomodation sorted, really can't wait now, just wish it would come sooner!

Also my cousin is the head teacher in a primary school and I THINK the Irish team are going to be visiting her school to, might make an appearance there to! 8 months to go :-)

M three wrote: »
    Might need to take you up on that one! we'll be in dunedin for the irl italy game. we'll buy the pints!

Grand so! I live out by the beach at St Kilda so we might even be able to get a mass knacker drinking session or something going just to really like up the reputation of the Irish abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tt GalIrl

Has any1used

Www.campervanhiresalefinder.co.nz

The prices are much cheaper than Maui & Britz campers ( which are sold out!)

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Just after booking the flights now. Got the campervan sorted earlier in the week and have had the match tickets for a while now. Just the campsite in the cities Ireland are playing in, and the ferry to sort out now.

Roll on September!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

purcela wrote: »
    Just after booking the flights now. Got the campervan sorted earlier in the week and have had the match tickets for a while now. Just the campsite in the cities Ireland are playing in, and the ferry to sort out now.

Roll on September!

*bump*

Same here purcela, fairly excited already :pac:

Anybody still on the lookout for campers, these were the absolute best vaule going; may not have many left at this stage - http://www.econocampers.co.nz/

Can anybody share some links to campsites? I've heard the Department of Conservation ones are allover the place, but do they fill up quite quickly? Would I be better booking them now or just waiting till we get over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Tried to book my flights earlier tonight, the airline's site was down :(!

Had a look at a few of the camp sites around Taupo and a few hours from it in every direction, prices pretty good and places look amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

testicle wrote: »
    What's the deal with just parking your camper at the side of the road?

Take it from a Kiwi:

This practice is SERIOUSLY discouraged for the SAFETY of tourists. There have been many incidences of Tourists parked at local beauty spots or in parking lots for bush walks. YOU instantly become a target for gangs and violence!

There has only recently been a court case in Christchurch, of a gang of youths who beaten and robbed a French tourist who was planning on sleeping in his car in a brightly light carpark.

In some places if you do try sleeping on the road side you will be moved on by the local authorities. There are loads of campgrounds all over the country and most Kiwis will happily give a bed to those in need. (Play up the being Irish bit, every Kiwi likes to think that having a great-great-great grandfather with an Irish wolfhound makes them a full on Paddie!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 consie16

Alright lads.. were the same have a camper van booked but after seeing those links i think were after really payin over the odds... thinking about cancelling ours now but dont know what the cancellation fee is or if they'll take the deposit...

We have match tickets sorted for the 3 games, booking flights tomorrow with Usit as were going to America for a few weeks beforehand...
    With the campsites, i spent hours googling them yesterday but was getting nothing... if someone could post some links or something it would be appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eire1987

howdy all,

Im planning a trip to NZ for the world cup this year.... Ive my flights and tickets for all the ireland matches sorted:D, its just the accomadation is nearly impossible to get:(.... does anyone have any recoomdations???? I heard that campervans aren't bad, but i will be going solo, so i find it hard to justify getting one just for myself..

Any help/ideas I will be grateful for them...
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've just bought tickets and will be flying from Perth for a week or so.

October 1 - Australia v Russia, Christchurch
    October 2 - Ireland v Italy, Dunedin

The missus has a cousin in Christchurch. Dunedin is about 4/5 hours drive south but the game's an 8.30pm kick off so perfect timing for a road trip down. Stay overnight then back up the next day.

Can't wait now!

If you go back to page 2 of this thread there should be links to cheap DOC campsites in NZ and a more general link to campsites all over the place including the Top 10 campsites etc. Try to beg, steal or borrow a Lonely Planet NZ too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hmcoleman

We have pool pack and wont be using the australia & usa tickets. Willing to sell at face value. Willing to trade tickets these tickets for italy & russia and quarter final tickets. Also have booked a ferry from Wellington to Picton on Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 if anyone needs to get to the south island. Booked for 5 passengers and a vehicle if anyone wants to buy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

hmcoleman wrote: »
    We have pool pack and wont be using the australia & usa tickets. Willing to sell at face value. Willing to trade tickets these tickets for italy & russia and quarter final tickets. Also have booked a ferry from Wellington to Picton on Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 if anyone needs to get to the south island. Booked for 5 passengers and a vehicle if anyone wants to buy this.

pm' ed ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just wondering has anyone looked into renting out a house for the duration of the world cup? Have all my tickets for matches aswell as the flights but accomadation needs to be sorted. Cheers for all the posts and info regarding camping. Obviously need to take finger out and get this sorted. There is 6 of us going so it is complicated trying to sort out where and how we are going to stay there.

If you're going to Dunedin for the Italy game and haven't got accommodation sorted then get in it asap. All I could get two weeks ago was a tiny little shack in a caravan park that basically has a bed and a heater and that's it.

Tried about twenty hotels and got nothing.

If you're going to Dunedin for the Italy game and haven't got accommodation sorted then get in it asap. All I could get two weeks ago was a tiny little shack in a caravan park that basically has a bed and a heater and that's it.

Tried about twenty hotels and got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Thankfully booked my accom in Denedin a while ago, got that sorted at least.

Getting into the south island end Sept, hope to spend the month or so there. People finding it difficult to get accom in October on, as in after the group games are done? Can imagine there will still be a lot of people around etc.

Anyone find good deals on car rentals? Just a car now, not a camper

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

hi all
    heading to auckland for early july on a one year WHV all goin well so hopefully can get work and accomo sorted in auckland prior to the RWC
    Just curious how do people rate irelands chances this year, had a look at the pools and if we top our pool we will play runner up in group D in the quarter final (which will most likey be wales or fiji), if we were to win this quarter final that would most likey mean a semi final against either france or england (assuming england top their group with argentina the main rivals and france finish second in the all blacks group)
    not exactly an impossible route to the final!
    the most important game imo is beating the aussies in the group stages which if we play to our ability i think we can do
    what does everyone else think?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Looks like I wont be able to go to the Italy game now in Dunedin.:( Looking for tickets to the Australia game though!:D
    Can do a sawp and/or pay the difference.

Advertisement