Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup 2011!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Decided to reassess my plans and looks like I'll be taking my refund for Australia/Russia and not rebooking as getting from Nelson to Dunedin for Ireland/Italy in a day is not too feasible.

Now looks like I'll be doing two weeks of Auckland ---> Rotorua (Ireland/Russia) ---> Christchurch ---> Dunedin (Ireland/Italy).

Gonna be bloody expensive and I need tickets for the Russia game but should be fine as the stadium holds around 34,000.

What's the timeframe between Aus/Russia and Ireland/Italy? I've hitchiked from New Plymouth to Christchurch in under a day, (left about 6am, got home about 11pm), and that included the bloody ferry and getting stuck in small towns for decent periods of time, I can't imagine it's unfeasible to get from Nelson to Dunedin if you're driving yourself. Course, I guess twould depend on your energy and all that stuff, but it is feasible anyway.

How long'll you be in Christchurch for, dya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

What's the timeframe between Aus/Russia and Ireland/Italy? I've hitchiked from New Plymouth to Christchurch in under a day, (left about 6am, got home about 11pm), and that included the bloody ferry and getting stuck in small towns for decent periods of time, I can't imagine it's unfeasible to get from Nelson to Dunedin if you're driving yourself. Course, I guess twould depend on your energy and all that stuff, but it is feasible anyway.

Gee, Fair Play ta ya Crumble Froo, thats a decent journey even without trying to hitch it! (Though I think you are mighty brave hitchin in NZ, your along time out of contact with people if something goes wrong, as it ocasionally can.)

I do agree with you it is a tough journey but do-able, I drove Picton to Dunedin in 6 hours with my entire life in the car and a push bike on the back, I dont think the front wheels of the car touched the ground once on the journey!

kiwipower wrote: »
    Gee, Fair Play ta ya Crumble Froo, thats a decent journey even without trying to hitch it!

Lol, I deliberately didn't mention the time it took us about 23hrs to get to Nelson from Christchurch, I think we got there about an hour after the band we'd intended to see the night before left back for Christchurch >_<
    (Though I think you are mighty brave hitchin in NZ, your along time out of contact with people if something goes wrong, as it ocasionally can.)

I do take precautions, but of course, never 100% safe. Still though, most kiwis will say how they used to use it as their main form of transport when they were younger, and the vast majority of people who've picked me up used to hitch themselves. Great way to see the country and learn about it too. Especially as someone who's never really lived in the country, a lot of the people who'll pick you up work in agriculture (means I have to keep my mouth shut driving through dairyland in the Canterbury plains, but anyway...) and know heaps about the local landscape, history, stories and random facts.
    I do agree with you it is a tough journey but do-able, I drove Picton to Dunedin in 6 hours with my entire life in the car and a push bike on the back, I dont think the front wheels of the car touched the ground once on the journey!

:eek::eek::eek:

No comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Ireland game is at 8pm on the Sunday so basically I'd have that day to get down. Driving long distances doesn't bother me (I live in Western Australia so you get used to it!) but at the same time I don't want to be cramming it in too much and maybe get lost.

Probably four or five days.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting lost, between cities/large towns, there's generally very very limited road options. The pretty landscape tends to get in the way a bit. But yeah, cramming in too much can be a draaaain. Should defo stop in for a drink in Chch though... y'no... assuming there's anywhere decent left to go... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Flights, Match Tickets and Campervan for 8 weeks all booked and payed for :) roll on September. Come on Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

Looking for a spare ticket to the OZ match in auckland. If anyone has one or knows of someone with one please contact me. I'd be willing to pay decent money for it or take a whole group pack either.

think the 5-6 weeks over there going to be serious craic

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gijoe

Hi guys, just thinking about money for the RWC

I've flights booked and campervan paid for. (No camspites booked yet) What do you reckon I'd need moneywise for 3-3.5 weeks. I'd imagine most meals will be cooked by us in the van. Never been to NZ so unsure of prices of day-to-day things.

ANyone any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Does anyone know any good campsites where we can park up our motorhome for the night of the australian game in AUckland. Only arriving in that morning and thinking of heading of up north the day after so only looking to stay for a night.

Are there any rugby clubs that are opening up their grounds that weekend either that might be closer to the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Just on the above post, could anyone recommend good campsites for each of the cities Ireland are playing in (New Plymouth, Auckland, Rotorua and Dunedin) and also anything in Christchurch. Just trying to book a few of these before heading over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Has anyone looked for a refund for games moved yet?? Will be looking one for the Scotland Argentina game but haven't heard anything yet....

C0N0R wrote: »
    Has anyone looked for a refund for games moved yet?? Will be looking one for the Scotland Argentina game but haven't heard anything yet....

Did you not get the emails?

Refunds are being processed at the moment and will be through by the end of the month. Then in May the tickets for the new venues go on sale and those who had them for the original venue will be given a few days to buy them ahead of everyone else.

Final public sale is July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Did you not get the emails?

Refunds are being processed at the moment and will be through by the end of the month. Then in May the tickets for the new venues go on sale and those who had them for the original venue will be given a few days to buy them ahead of everyone else.

Final public sale is July.

I think I used the wrong email address! So are they automatic refunds?? I have Scotland Argentina and England Argentina but I wish to keep England ones, whet do I do/what happens??

C0N0R wrote: »
    I think I used the wrong email address! So are they automatic refunds?? I have Scotland Argentina and England Argentina but I wish to keep England ones, whet do I do/what happens??

Yeah automatic to the card on which they were bought.

All rescheduled games are being refunded as the new stadiums have different parameters so they can't give you the same seats you had before.

As you had England ones you will get a few days at the beginning of May to buy them back in a priority ballot but it's first come first serve between everyone who had original tickets. Just make sure you sort that email address as they will be sending you a code to use.

Whatever tickets are left after that priority ballot will go on sale in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Can I ask what are people planning to do between matches? Go to other matches or tour the country?
    I've tickets to pool games, flights booked and trying to get plan together as to what else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Planning to see as much of the country as possible, lot of travelling but will all be worthwhile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Ireland's pool schedule is not ideal for those wishing to travel in between games. The first 3 games on the North Island basically means you are stuck on the North Island for most of the time. I was in NZ last December and the South Island is infinitely more beautiful and ideally thats where you would want to be spending most of your time, but the schedule doesnt really makes this possible.

The plan I am thinking of is to have what I want to see in the North Island done by the time Ireland play there third game in Rotorua which is the third weekend but with just over two weeks done. I intend then to go to the south Island for the following 3.5 weeks only returning to wellington if we get to the quarter finals.

04072511 wrote: »
    Ireland's pool schedule is not ideal for those wishing to travel in between games. The first 3 games on the North Island basically means you are stuck on the North Island for most of the time. I was in NZ last December and the South Island is infinitely more beautiful and ideally thats where you would want to be spending most of your time, but the schedule doesnt really makes this possible.

They are very different islands and you can’t say that one is more beautiful than the other. There is plenty of great things in the North Island. Up northland has some of the most amazing trees in the Kauri Forests. Hot water beaches some where in the Corrimandel. Mount Manganui in Tauranga is beautiful along with the beach. The geothermal stuff around Rotorua is not something many people in the world will never get to see the likes of. Lake Taupo is quite impressive to, and it is worth remembering when you are standing on its banks that it was once a volcano and when it erupted (pre-people in NZ) the eruption was so large that the lights of it was visible in Japan and is recorded in Japanese history. Napier where NZs last major earthquake happened 80 years ago was totally rebuilt at the time in the Art Deco fashion preferred at that time.

It really comes down to what you are interested in, the islands have there own Mana (Spirit/Worth) and personality the people and the towns vary a lot.

Watched a promo DVD on NZ last night and as a result cannot wait to get out there. Loved Rotorua and what it offers in the surrounding area and Napier I think will be a must for me.

Question have people booked all accommodation and transport within NZ. I have this done for the match weekends only but wondering will there be such a demand that it will be hard to get stuff on the go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

If anyone is looking for cheap car hire, have a look at Omega Rentals Cars Ltd.

They provide older cars but are a good bit cheaper than the big names. I've used them in the past on trips to NZ and the cars were fine.

Just to be clear, I've no affiliation with them, just another option to consider and hopefully someone will get value out of them.

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good campsites where we can park up our motorhome for the night of the australian game in AUckland. Only arriving in that morning and thinking of heading of up north the day after so only looking to stay for a night.

Are there any rugby clubs that are opening up their grounds that weekend either that might be closer to the town?

Bump. I had a check on a few other forums and I know some clubs in christchurch (pre earthquake) and wellington were playing on doing this. Haven't heard anything with regards auckland. just wondering if anyone has or what their plans were if they are in a similar situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 vladimirtheass

College Rifles Rugby club are openin up their grounds. I'm booked in for the Australia match. I just chanced my arm by emailing them and got lucky.

http://collegerifles.co.nz/college-rifles/contact-us1/

College Rifles Rugby club are openin up their grounds. I'm booked in for the Australia match. I just chanced my arm by emailing them and got lucky.

http://collegerifles.co.nz/college-rifles/contact-us1/

cheers lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

know its late but still thinking of heading to this, looking at flying out after the USA game and getting into Auckland on the 15th September for the Australia game on the 17th

Flights are between 700-800 which isnt too bad, thinking of getting the bus down to Rotorua for the Russia game, only $1 but the biggest problem I am having is getting from Rotorua to Dunedin for the Italy game, any ideas?

Jetstar just announced a new route between Dunedin and Auckland starting in July. You'd have to go from Reekarua back to Auckland but its a good option.

Where did you find the flights for 700-800, that is cheap.

dermiestv wrote: »
    Jetstar just announced a new route between Dunedin and Auckland starting in July. You'd have to go from Reekarua back to Auckland but its a good option.

Where did you find the flights for 700-800, that is cheap.

skyscanner, thats one way, planning on heading to Australia for a while after

thanks for the advice with jetstar, looks cheaper than air new zealand

skyscanner, thats one way
    . Ok, I understand now.

Have a look at Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong also, on their own website. For some reason their fares doesn't show up on Skyscanner but they're often a bit cheaper. CP are a decent airline too.
    I've booked them going out in September via Amsterdam.
    And Hong Kong is a city well worth seeing at least once!

Just got a link in an email from www.trademe.co.nz to their sister website http://www.travelbug.co.nz/.

I had not heard about them before. I have never used them. I would be a user of the World Famous (In New Zealand) Trademe site. I think it might look like a great site for booking accomodation off for any of you lucky enough to make it to Godzone for the Rugby! :D

• Advertisement

thanks for the help guys

anyone know if there are flights from Dunedin to Wellington?

Also, accomadation looks like it could be a problem so if anyone knows anywhere with availability in Auckland, Rotorua or Dunedin for the pool games will they let me know

Advertisement