Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup 2011!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

anyone knows anywhere with availability in Auckland, Rotorua or Dunedin

A lot of match venue cities in NZ are ripping off big time for accommodation. Many are insisting you stay at least two nights over the match weekend.

When I mentioned this to Dunedin tourist office, they - with a straight face - came up with a place for one night but the price was the same as for two nights. In Wellington, we had to book for 3 nights over the quarter final weekend. Ended up booking that one.

But if you're willing to travel a tiny bit further, you can get back to nearly normal NZ prices. So for Dunedin, try e.g. Mosgiel which is just over the hill from Dunedin, 15 minute drive. Closer to the airport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

dermiestv wrote: »
    A lot of match venue cities in NZ are ripping off big time for accommodation. Many are insisting you stay at least two nights over the match weekend.

When I mentioned this to Dunedin tourist office, they - with a straight face - came up with a place for one night but the price was the same as for two nights. In Wellington, we had to book for 3 nights over the quarter final weekend. Ended up booking that one.

But if you're willing to travel a tiny bit further, you can get back to nearly normal NZ prices. So for Dunedin, try e.g. Mosgiel which is just over the hill from Dunedin, 15 minute drive. Closer to the airport too.

Thanks for this, our plan is to land in Auckland on the 15th and stay in Auckland for 7 nights with the Australia game on the 17th. On the 22nd we are planning on getting the bus down to Rotorua for the Russia game on the 25th.

Then, on the 27th or 28th we will probably get the bus down to Wellington and fly down to Dunedin for the Italy game with a return flight to Wellington on the 4th or 5th for the quarter finals and bus back up as far as Auckland for semi finals and final before a flight on to Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

They have set up a temporary campervan park in downtown Auckland during the RWC. Have booked in myself so might be of some use to people:

http://www.aucklandnz.com/index.php/accommodation_detail/?L1=64&L2=86&L3=&id=198527

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

anyone know if there are flights from Dunedin to Wellington?

Try http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/ also keep an eye on AirNZs grab a seat promotions (http://grabaseat.co.nz/ ) If your lucky you may get a flight cheap on this! They are updated every few days!

(Though I would suspect they probably wont have deals that coinside with matches, ya know they want to make a few bucks when they can. Cant blame them Air NZ Domestic is a loss maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bobo1985

Hey all! I know this might be a long shot but does anyone know of any camper van rental companies that have available vans for the Rugby World Cup? Long story short we were promised a camper van by a friend but they have now sold it, we have the flights booked to NZ and no accommodation!! Not happy! :mad: Would be looking to rent from 14th Sept to 26th Oct for 3 people. Having a look online but alot are either too expensive or have none left.If anyone one has any contact details for companies that would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Fullasatick

Hi Folks, Quick question. I lived in New Zealand for 9 months, 3 years ago, I did some backpacking around in a small campervan, anyway, long story short, I got 2 parking tickets that I never paid and I also had a trip to A&E that I never paid the bill for. I had intended to pay the fines/bill when I got home and got a job but I ended upon the dole for longer than expected with large travelling debts to pay. So now I'm planning to head to NZ for the world cup and I'm wondering how do I go about paying these before travelling? I dont want to leave it til I get stopped at customs, as I believe they'll have this information and wont let you enter the country with those outstanding debts. Has anyone got any experience of this?

I also had a trip to A&E that I never paid the bill for.

Not exactly sure, what is the right side of this but..
    My Irish partner ended up in A&E on a trip to NZ. The A&E receptionist had recorded my partner as being from the UK (I know don’t start.) When I talked to the receptionist about this, it was better to leave my partner as being recorded as a UK citizen as the care (other than the ambulance) was free as NZ & the UK have some type of reciprocal care arrangement.

If you think there is an out standing charge you could try ringing/emailing the relevant healthboard (there details can be found online) and seeing what the story is. If you took an Ambulance contact St John Ambulance, they will let you know what the charges are.

As for the parking fines, I would try emailing the town/county council where you got the fine, with as many details as you can remember, i.e. rego make model of car. Usually they would send the bill onto you home address. I.e. if you hired the car, it will be sent to the address the hire company had on record for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Does anybody know anyone that might be interested in tickets for Ireland's pool games? I have tickets for all the games but am unable to go as I can't afford it. Because they are general admission tickets they did not come with the option of being posted to my address and so have to be collected from either the venue or ticketmaster in NZ. I would also need to change the name on the tickets for collection. If anyone is interested or has any questions please PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bartlamy

aido79 wrote: »
    Does anybody know anyone that might be interested in tickets for Ireland's pool games? I have tickets for all the games but am unable to go as I can't afford it. Because they are general admission tickets they did not come with the option of being posted to my address and so have to be collected from either the venue or ticketmaster in NZ. I would also need to change the name on the tickets for collection. If anyone is interested or has any questions please PM me.
    I have sent you a pm......in case I am not successful, I am looking for tickets for the rugby will buy the pool package or individual tickets.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Tickets for the semi finals are on sale now again.
    Finals tickets go on sale tomorrow.

• Advertisement

niceoneted wrote: »
    Tickets for the semi finals are on sale now again.
    Finals tickets go on sale tomorrow.

think it would be worth waiting and taking our chances if we get to quarter final and win it?

The way I am looking at it is that I am going for the whole experience of the RWC so I'm happy to go to the semis and see the top 4 sides in action. Just love the game. I'm going to be there anyway.
    Suppose can always flog them if need be.
    U going?

I am indeed. The plan is to fly to australia if we lose the potential 1/4 final and travel around there for a few weeks before coming home. We will stay on if we won the 1/4 final though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anyone got their tickets yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Got a letter a couple of weeks ago saying where in Auckland I can pick them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bobbicent

Is anyone out there at all thinking of cycling around between games? I'm hoping to cycle Auckland - New Plymouth - Auckland - Roturua - Wellington - Auckland. I know all about the distances, and I'll be missing the Italian game in Dunedin which gives me more time to get to Wellington for what I expect will be a quarter final v South Africa.

Tickets just arrived by DHL. I was so excited. Then opened up the envelope to discover that there is no ticket to the Ire V Italy game. Oh now the hassle!!!!

bobbicent wrote: »
    Is anyone out there at all thinking of cycling around between games? I'm hoping to cycle Auckland - New Plymouth - Auckland - Roturua - Wellington - Auckland. I know all about the distances, and I'll be missing the Italian game in Dunedin which gives me more time to get to Wellington for what I expect will be a quarter final v South Africa.

Let me know how you get on!
    I will be well impressed!
    I know cycling around NZ is a huge tourist attraction (but more in the summer,) but some of those hills are a killer. (Not to mention some of the Kiwi drivers and the volume of big trucks with trailers)
    Have you ever been in NZ? What we call hills would make the mountains of Donegal look small and few in number.

While the internet says the "Drive" time Wellington to Auckland is just over 9hours, I would put it closer to 12hours (especially in winter.) Though I have never driven it directly as I lived partway in between.

The main highway into Wellington is extremely busy, narrow, and tight between the sea the railway and the mountain ranges. You will also (I presume) be travelling state highway one between Auckland and Wellington, this is known as the “Desert Road” as it is at altitude, on a plateau between the mountains and can often be closed for a few days during the winter months due to snow etc.

I am not trying to put you off, like I said I would be very impressed while I sit comfortably in my arm chair, drinking a beer! Do remember it will be winter down there, you will need good quality thermals, woolly socks and hat, and a fantastic rain coat etc. Can I make one suggestion maybe save yourself the cycle back up to Auckland from Wellington and catch the Overlander train www.tranzscenic.co.nz It is a beautiful way to see the scenery from the comfort of being in doors! With a big window! Any tourist who takes it raves about it!

Again Good Luck
    KP

Panic over - I just read the letter they send about a month ago and Dunedin tickets are not being issued until July. Thats what 5 hrs sleep 4 nights running does.

Hey,

A friend of mine can't make it over to NZ for the RWC. He has though a 6 berth motorhome booked from 17th Sept - 10 Oct (morning of the Oz match until the day after the 1/4 final) so if anyone is interested they can send me a PM.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

Hi everyone,
    As I am unable to attend the RWC I will would like to sell my tickets (just at face value) to someone who might be looking for some. I have put the prices in NZ dollars at what I paid.

Please PM if interested. You'll be really helping me out :)

Sun Sept 11 Ireland vs USA New Plymouth (4 tickets Cat D) Total price: $164
    Sun Sept 25 Ireland vs Russia Rotorua (4 tix Cat GA) Total price: $124
    Sun Oct 2 Ireland vs Italy Dunedin (4 tix Cat C) Total price: $ 388

Price + Handling fee: $691.00

PS
    Would be best to sell the whole lot to someone instead of trying to break them up, if that is at all possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Looks like I won't be heading over either.

Have 3 sets of tickets for our 4 group games. There all for the lowest cat paid D except the Russia game which is GA.

Would there be any takers for the 3 sets?

Gosh sounds like a few won't be going!
    I have tickets for pool games.
    I'm still in the market for both Quarter final games in Wellington 8th and 9th. Just the one ticket to each.
    Cheers

PS any of you trying to sell tickets have you tried www.toutless.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I need just one ticket to the Ire vs Australia game as one fell through on me. Anyone know of anybody with a ticket or someone not going? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tt GalIrl

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Hey,

A friend of mine can't make it over to NZ for the RWC. He has though a 6 berth motorhome booked from 17th Sept - 10 Oct (morning of the Oz match until the day after the 1/4 final) so if anyone is interested they can send me a PM.

MM

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 26 heybuddy

moving to christchurch in a few wks to help rebuild the city..so will only get a chance to go to the italy game...would love to buy 2 tickets off someone if that is possible???

Ok so I've my tickets, flights and most travel (bus and car rentals) and most accommodation will be booked and paid for before I get there. Oh also a few organised trips. I will budget for the likes of franz josef, wine tour or two, milford sound and the likes.
    What I am wondering is how much would you need per day outside of this, say one meal out a day cheap and cheerful type and few drinks. Would say $50 a day do. Some days will be different to others and I suppose match days more might be spend on beer but just a good average will do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

Hi all
    I can't head over to Nz which really sucks. I do now have a ticket to usa and oz matchs for sale cost price if anyone is interested.
    Pm me if u are.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jgflan

Hi Folks,

Was also planning to go but wont make the trip unfortunately. I have the following available;
    4x Ireland v Russia Sun Sept 25 Rotorua Category GA
    4x Ireland v Italy * Sun Oct 2 Dunedin Category C

Regards,
    Jgflan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

niceoneted wrote: »
    Ok so I've my tickets, flights and most travel (bus and car rentals) and most accommodation will be booked and paid for before I get there. Oh also a few organised trips. I will budget for the likes of franz josef, wine tour or two, milford sound and the likes.
    What I am wondering is how much would you need per day outside of this, say one meal out a day cheap and cheerful type and few drinks. Would say $50 a day do. Some days will be different to others and I suppose match days more might be spend on beer but just a good average will do. Thanks.

Also wondering this however, Lonely Planet says, even on a tight budget you’re looking at $80 a day and $100 a day is more realistic (not including accommodation). NZ looks very pricey indeed and the world cup will only make things worse. I’m most concerned about accommodation, honestly, I will be bringing my bivvie bag in case I need it.

Advertisement