Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup 2011!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Have spoken to a friend of mine since I asked the question, they were there for 6 weeks before Christmas. Spend was $6,000 (€3,000)- not including the flights. They stayed in hostels for the entire stay. My flights and match tickets cost €2,000 already!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

niceoneted wrote: »
    Have spoken to a friend of mine since I asked the question, they were there for 6 weeks before Christmas. Spend was $6,000 (€3,000)- not including the flights. They stayed in hostels for the entire stay. My flights and match tickets cost €2,000 already!!! :eek:

**** me pink! A grand a week! How much were the hostels?

I've a campervan organised, so am sorted on the accomodation front.

Hostels are ranging from $28 to about $50 (on match days usually or more popular spots) a night. I looked into the whole campervan thing and you have to pay a few per person to stay in all the parks usually somewhere between $20 -$40 a night. Am hiring car for about 4 of the weeks out of the 6. I also was told roads very bad that car is better than campervan.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I also was told roads very bad that car is better than campervan.

Could you please expand on what you mean by this as I think I may have misunderstood?

NZ roads are built to a very high standard; with lots of on going capital spend on up keep (especially compared with Ireland.)

On sealed main roads, you have: Proper road widths, Proper lane marking (white and yellow lane marking,) proper surfaces WITHOUT Irish style eat your car potholes! They are constantly improving roads by removing bends etc (even when it means flattening an entire hill - sorry mountain.) The only down side is constant road works! However, do be nice to the lollypop guys and gals, it’s a Kiwi tradition to always smile and wave as they let you through. Some people even feed them! Ohh And if they hold up a stop sign be sure to STOP if you don’t want to be flattened by a big bit of earth moving machinery!

Though as its winter you may come across closed roads for land slides, floods, fallen trees or snow, they usually open again within a few hours/days though.

The Metal (Gravel) back roads are another story, but tend to have lighter traffic and not so many big rigs. You generally need to be going well off road to be driving on these anyway - well worth it for the experience though!

Kiwipower, don't get too excited. I wasn't insulting the roads. What they meant or rather what I interpreted them to mean was that they are windy in spots especially coastal roads - so they said. They said it was easier to get around in a car which is smaller than in a campervan. These friends travelled for months in NZ loved it, have the highest of praise for the people and the country. They would have gone a fair bit off the beaten track which is something I would be inclined to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I looked into the whole campervan thing and you have to pay a few per person to stay in all the parks usually somewhere between $20 -$40 a night.

Nothing stopping you just parking up at the side of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

testicle wrote: »

Nothing except this: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5009030/Councils-hail-freedom-camping-bill

Kiwipower, don't get too excited. I wasn't insulting the roads. What they meant or rather what I interpreted them to mean was that they are windy in spots especially coastal roads - so they said. They said it was easier to get around in a car which is smaller than in a campervan. These friends travelled for months in NZ loved it, have the highest of praise for the people and the country. They would have gone a fair bit off the beaten track which is something I would be inclined to do.

That’s cool, thought I must have got the wrong end of the stick!
    Yes, the roads are mountainous and windy though many of the windy bits have been removed over the last 20years.
    The roads are wider over there and designed for large heavy vehicles to drive on them (I mean big rigs bigger than I have ever seen in Ireland, as our trucks are up to 3 metres wide, while Irish trucks are up to 2.5 metres.)
    There are plenty of passing lanes so passing slow vehicles is not a problem. They also have suggested speeds on yellow warning diamonds at most bends, these being designed with trucks, motor homes etc in mind.
    I wouldnt let the windy roads put you off driving a motor home over there! There are plenty of people driving them and room enough on the roads for all. Plus the height of a motor home gives you a better view of the scenery!

testicle wrote: »

+ Safety Issues.
    Often in beauty spots you will see signs warning against overnight camping. These signs are mainly there for the safety of Tourists as there can often be incidences at these sites. It’s not uncommon to hear of Tourists being robbed when camping this way.

Kiwipower, I think I'm forgiven am I re the roads comment. You get the picture of what they meant. I love driving so would have no fear of any roads even bit of off road. think I'll stick with car though. Plus I think camper van might suit couple better as might be bot cramped - your talking more money in getting bigger one. It's about quarter the price per day to get car too.
    Thanks for all the advice you've been giving on here.
    9 weeks to go til I'm on my way. Getting excited.
    Also posted re the exchange rate in another thread. NZ dollar now at 1.72 it was 1.90 in March. Kicking myself I didn't get some dollars then.

• Advertisement

Kiwipower, I think I'm forgiven am I re the roads comment. You get the picture of what they meant. I love driving so would have no fear of any roads even bit of off road. think I'll stick with car though. Plus I think camper van might suit couple better as might be bot cramped - your talking more money in getting bigger one. It's about quarter the price per day to get car too.
    Thanks for all the advice you've been giving on here.
    9 weeks to go til I'm on my way. Getting excited.
    Also posted re the exchange rate in another thread. NZ dollar now at 1.72 it was 1.90 in March. Kicking myself I didn't get some dollars then.

you are well forgiven!!!! I hope you have a brilliant time! It is a great country to drive in! My Irish other half learnt to driver over there! Put her behind the wheel of my mothers automatic, with a tent in the boot and said "The road goes that away!" :p After 6 weeks of driving sealed and unsealed roads over there she flew through her drivers test over here! (Just dont tell my mother it was kinda illegal for her to drive in NZ on an Irish learners licence. ;))

The olds where saying that the NZ Dollar has hit a record high. 80c to the American dollar. Think it is mainly due to the quakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fonkalei

Thinspired wrote: »
    This site http://www.nzcamping.co.nz/index.php seems to have all the main ones on it as well as some DOC ones. Ya it's no harm booking for the cities, just to be on the safe side for matches. Outside of that we're kind of just checking availability, because it's impossible to plan an exact itinerary this far ahead!

M Three as far as I know (the Asian monsoons really confuse me) the east coast of Thailand gets the most rain falls between September and December. On the west coast it's April to October, so the east coast would be your best bet ( I think????)

Maybe check out Fiji and Bali as possible beach resorts for a beach break. Not too sure about Fiji but if you fly New Zealand to Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne you can choose from Air Asia (super cheap but you have to book your own connecting flights from Kuala Lumpur to Bali) Jetstar (very cheap), Malaysian Airlines (reasonable if you book early), Quantas, Virgin Blue etc to get you to Indonesia.

you can def fly straight to Fiji or even closer cook islands (raratonga) from NZ for a great beach break.

fonkalei wrote: »
    you can def fly straight to Fiji or even closer cook islands (raratonga) from NZ for a great beach break.

I havent checked recently, but with the Coup in Fiji are the islands still openned to tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

kiwipower wrote: »
    I havent checked recently, but with the Coup in Fiji are the islands still openned to tourists?

Yep ....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/?utm_source=eDM&utm_medium=email&utm_content=AllStates&utm_campaign=11Jul11thebromancesale

Air New Zealand having a 'bromance' air fare sale for any of you Rugby fans that are still thinking of making the trip over!

8 weeks and counting!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 joe9joe9

Hey guys,

Bit late I know, but looks like I'm going to head over to NZ for the World Cup (from Oz). With the fixtures as follows and only having two weeks or so off work, I need to make a plan fast!

11/09 - 18:00 Ireland – USA New Plymouth
    17/09 - 20:30 Australia – Ireland Auckland
    25/09 - 18:00 Ireland - Russia Rotorua
    02/10 - 20:30 Ireland - Italy Dunedin
    08 or 09/10 Q’Finals Wellington

Would love to see the Australia game and one other, probably the Russia game. From what I understand, tickets for all games are still (at least reasonably) easy to come by. Need to book flights which are more expensive than they were, prob have to pay $500.
    I mainly need advice in regards to accomodation and/or car or campervan hire. Has anybody booked anything recently? Is Auckland and Rotorua booked out for around them dates? Do you need to be 25+ with a full licence to drive a car/campervan over there? Any good websites for any of the above?

A car and hostels would be preferred, but campervan (prob 2 berth) would probably work out cheaper. Any advice people can give for their itenerary also welcome! (as are things to do in/around Auckland or Rotorua area in between matches/celebrations!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Id say campervans are all gone, I booked mine a few months ago and it was the last one there. But you never know... google.com is your friend.

Joe9Joe9,

Not too late I would think. Try to get your accommodation for match nights sorted once you decide which matches to go for. I would suggest the Ox and Russia game if you have such a short time as you might get to do the best sightseeing around those areas. And Rotorua is closer to Auckland than New Plymouth. Some of the hostels might still be available.
    Week between Oz and Russia game you could do the trip up to Paihia and Cape Reinga. Then head up to the Coromandel Peninsula down to Taupo and Rotorua.

See more info in the thread too http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229718

I am doing an 8 day road trip between Oz and Russia game taking in Coromandel Pen, Gisborne, Napier, Taupo and Rotorua.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

If ur on your own the camper van option would be expensive. Try get cheap rental car from ace or apex and book hostels for night of matchs in advance. U may struggle for the oz match. Try a campsite maybe and buy cheap tent.
    On things to do def get up to northland for a few days, visit cormandel and then rotoura and taupo. U could also do a day hike like the tongorio crossing or good walks in cormandel. Waitomo caves also in the area.
    U might also consider the Wales Samoa match the Sunday after the oz match in Hamilton. Should be great atmosphere with the Samoan locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 joe9joe9

Cheers lads, seen there are those ugly-looking "Spaceships" still available. Might go for one of them. Handy as a car, but can sleep in them! Might book flights tonight. Will worry about match tickets once I've got the other things sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Another possible itinerary for you. I'm also going over for two weeks, spending a night in Hong Kong on the way over, then catching the Italy game and Quarter Finals.

That means we get most of the time to tour the South Island which is, imho, the most scenic. Taking the Bluebridge ferry over from Picton and flying back up to Auckland from Wellington for the last couple of days.

Putting some final touches on my arrangements and little bits of useful information.
    I am just wondering is there any nice coffee chains over there like the likes of Butlers or similar that are good for coffee. Also any nice chains of restaurant to watch out for - just as a back up to my lonely planet.
    Kiwipower you might be on the money with an answer for this one please.

Am seriously considering skiing a day or two in Queenstown too. Do you think conditions might be still good by end Sept anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not a restaurant as such but I do remember the burgers (they came with beetroot, a fried egg, sometimes pineapple, plus your regular tomato and cheese etc) being very good in small restaurants in the countryside. Kumara (sweet potato) fries were pretty nice too.

On Manners mall in Wellington there used to be a great pancake shop. They'd make it right there in front of you so you got it steaming hot. It was tiny a blink and you'd miss it thing.

I do remember hearing of the ski season going on into late October when I was over there. I think Mt. Hutt which is about an hour and half away from Christchurch has the longest ski season.

This site, http://www.queenstown-nz.co.nz/information/winter/ , seems to think you can ski into early October in Queenstown anyway.

Putting some final touches on my arrangements and little bits of useful information.
    I am just wondering is there any nice coffee chains over there like the likes of Butlers or similar that are good for coffee. Also any nice chains of restaurant to watch out for - just as a back up to my lonely planet.

Am seriously considering skiing a day or two in Queenstown too. Do you think conditions might be still good by end Sept anyone?
    Mmmmmmmmm Good Coffee! I so miss my Flat Whites! It all depends on how you like your coffee! I like my coffee strong enough to melt the spoon, but with a velvety milky smoothness! Kiwis LOVE their STRONG coffee; you would be unlucky to get a bad one. Most coffee shops advertise which brand of beans they are using outside the shop. Worth trying a few and stick to the ones you like. That said even the petrol stations do good coffee! I think it was BP Petrol stations, do good Coffee and Pie deals! Nothing like a roadside Pie and coffee when you are long haul driving! Steak and Kidney, Steak and Cheese, Muscle, Seafood you name it! Believe me as soon as I hit Auckland airport, while I am waiting for a domestic flight, it’s a Pie and a beer! Be it 8in the morning or 8 in the evening! Its pure home!
    I go for the Flat White, I know that Costa Coffee have tried to impersonate them lately, but they are very poor in comparison, the closest I ever got to a Kiwi (or Australian) coffee, was a Regular Latte, with an extra shot from Arabica in Galway.
    Word of warning though Kiwi tea is weak dishwater tea. Either bring your own bags, or use two per cup!
    We do fast food well in NZ, (and tend to enjoy it way to much!) Hells Pizza (There is a kiwi import one in Dublin now) and Burger Fuel being upper class ones. KFC is a million times better in Kiwi land, won’t eat it here even if it was the only thing open!
    As for coffee shops they all tend to do quite a variety of food, and as you would expect are nicer again than takeaways and fast food. Just note Kiwis aren’t big on service, it makes a lot of the locals uncomfortable having someone serve them at the table, so expect to queue and order even at the best coffee shops! Ohh and even a $1 tip will shock them; a lot of staff would try handing it back and be embarrassed about taking a tip!
    As for lonely planet advice on Cafes, I would take it with a pinch of salt. My experience when travelling with my Irish partner is that a lot of the ones mentioned in LP have been sold on the grounds of a great review. The person then taking on the ownership usually has no experience in food service and tends to runs it into the ground!

I dont Ski but if its a good cold winter, they can be Skiing well into October, especially down south. I did note while I was searching: The 100% Pure New Zealand Winter Games 2011 (13 - 28 August) will be on in the South Island.

Wish I was going home myself!!!!!! :( Maybe for the next NZ Summer!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

*BUMP* :pac:

Not long now peoples, how's everybody preparations coming along?

And how do you rate our chances of realistically progressing past the Quarters??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

really looking forward to it now and liking the FX movement on the Euro/NZD. Could make a nice difference.

anyone any opinions on buying 1/4 final tickets. is it worth the risk buying one now or wait until after the oz match.

also might have space for couple people travelling down from the russia match to dunedin. PM me if interested.

What about pubs for drinks before or after games?
    I'm on my own for the first three pool games as mate not joining me until after Russia game. Anyone else traveling on there own for some or all of games that want to meet for beers.
    Have most things booked. Yeah exchange rate improving which is great as was kicking myself over this as it has been $1.90 in March.
    Kiwi Power again thanks for the great heads up re Coffee, tipping etc. There the little things that are fierce handy to know.
    Jacknes, I'd get the quarters tickets as to be fair regardless if Ireland make it they should be great games. I got Wellington quarters and semis tickets. The way I see it is I'm going for the World cup so want to see top teams in action. I remember NZ v France in the quarter final in Cardiff last time out and it was a great game.

Just as an add on I got a few good deals for accommodation and a milford sound trip on www.grabone.co.nz
    Worth checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Firstly, if you are heading to queenstown you will (and there is no way around this) go to Fergburger. Dont resist, just go. Id go so far as to say the best burger ive ever eaten!! And i hear now, theres a ferg bakery with some pretty good pies!!
    Winnies for some amazing pizza...i ate a lot of it as i used to work there! Good party bar aswell!

Re the slopes. The season went on till about 10th october last year, with snow still on the mountains but its was getting slushy. September was ok for boarding but not a lot of new snow was falling.
    This year, the snow doesnt look anywhere near as good as last (and that was worse than the year before). So I cant imagine the end of the season being any good. Although a late season start might mean a good flurish at the end so cross the fingers and hope i suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

jacknes wrote: »
    anyone any opinions on buying 1/4 final tickets. is it worth the risk buying one now or wait until after the oz match.
    also might have space for couple people travelling down from the russia match to dunedin. PM me if interested.

I was wondering the same but I think I'll buy one now for the Ireland-to-come-second-in-the-pool quarter final. The wallabies' weaknesses were really exposed against NZ last week and Ireland might do it if they're on song, but I just can't see it happening in New Zealand, Wallabies are still an exciting and dangerous side. However if Ireland do top the group, you should hopefully be able to swap tickets with Aussies who have already bought tickets for the other quarter-final.

Also Westpac stadium is oval & the stands are a good bit away from the sideline so the view from down low is pretty crap. I would be keen to make sure I get myself a covered seat up higher, even though they're more expensive.

Re the Dunedin Game, it's Italy we're playing there. And where are you travelling from? I might take a few days off work & take you up on that offer.

Food Reccomendations:

Mojo is a good cafe chain.

There is a really good craft beer scene in New Zealand so I would recommend to everyone to spend a buck or 2 extra per beer and try out the local independant brews. The craft industry has been developing for the last 15 years or so as an alternative to the commercial brands which were bought up by foreign mega-breweries long ago. Anything like Three Boys, Emersons, Renaissance, Tuatara, Liberty, Epic, Mike's, Croucher, 8-Wired (Brewery of the Year), Moa, the list goes on. Each of them has a range of quality beers.

This site might be useful for last minute accomodation:
    http://lookafterme.co.nz/
    Article:http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/5367075/Rent-a-room-website-hopes-for-kick-start

Advertisement