Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup 2011!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

how we all!!! starting off on my journey to New Zealand at 12 tomoorow.

lets just hope we do well in the rugby. C'Mon Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

2 Face value tickets for the Ireland v USA game 11th September for sale. $30 each. PM me if interested. Based in Melbourne.

Cheers

PS Hope this doesnt infringe on site rules. If so please remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Anyone know anywhere in rotorua that is providing sites for motorhomes for the russia game, rugby clubs etc? The top 10 holiday park is fully booked. Have managed to get sorted for the other games.

Thanks.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

A friend of mine while giving me a run down of advice said that some of the hostels have plenty of parking which included for motorhomes to hook up. You might try some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Are any of the mobile carriers doing deals for the duration of the World Cup, either pre-pay or bill-pay? Couldn't seem to find anything regarding this online. Or what are people doing? I use my iPhone as a gps and wouldn't mind being able to use it driving around NZ in 3 weeks time. 3 weeks baby!!!

Thanka!

• Advertisement

I intend to buy a sim card, believe they are $5. Not sure which network to go with. Anyone help with networks that are out there so I can compare before going. Roll on the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

niceoneted wrote: »
    A friend of mine while giving me a run down of advice said that some of the hostels have plenty of parking which included for motorhomes to hook up. You might try some of them.

Cheers buddy, can wait now. 2 1/2 weeks and I'm gone!

bring plenty of money out with yee anyway. the prices are ridickulous especially drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I intend to buy a sim card, believe they are $5. Not sure which network to go with. Anyone help with networks that are out there so I can compare before going. Roll on the 8th.

Mobile networks are telecom two degrees and vodafone. I'm running vodafone, think telecom has better coverage though. But I don't think telecom sims like unlocked phones if that makes sense!

Thanks for that Conor, just had a look at them and am thinking we think we are being ripped off here with mobile costs. I think I'll just roam on my own phone now. won't need it for much. can receive texts free and then use my free webtexts to send and skype.

• Advertisement

bring plenty of money out with yee anyway. the prices are ridickulous especially drink.

You talking about where the games are on or everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You talking about where the games are on or everywhere?

And how much is ridiulous?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Are any of the mobile carriers doing deals for the duration of the World Cup, either pre-pay or bill-pay? Couldn't seem to find anything regarding this online. Or what are people doing? I use my iPhone as a gps and wouldn't mind being able to use it driving around NZ in 3 weeks time. 3 weeks baby!!!

Thanka!

Just be aware that due to the mountainous vastness of the country, when you are travelling you will often be out of phone/internet coverage. Its fairly easy to drive around though. A Basic Map is all you need. Stick to the main highways as much as possible, cause the back roads can add days to journeys. Sometimes you end up having to drive South to go North. Especially if you are trying to travel in an East/West direction.
    Thanks for that Conor, just had a look at them and am thinking we think we are being ripped off here with mobile costs. I think I'll just roam on my own phone now. won't need it for much. can receive texts free and then use my free webtexts to send and skype.

Mobiles and internet are expensive. But landlines are cheep! Even from phoneboxs you can call back to Ireland quite cheeply! Local calls are all free from a landline. I think my mother can call me NZ to Ireland for 2hours for about $5.

Thanks for that Kiwipower, I might try a few pay phones so! Got to see the lads off at the airport today minus the few injured. It was great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Quick question, does anyone know which flight route the Irish team are taking to NZ?
    thanks

Dublin - Heathrow, Dubai, Sydney and I think straight to Q'town from Sydney. Emitares carrying them as they sponsors of the WC and all arranged through IRB.

Thanks very much for the very fast reply!

Most direct route used to be Dublin-LA-Auckland but thats not an option at the moment.

dermiestv wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the very fast reply!

Most direct route used to be Dublin-LA-Auckland but thats not an option at the moment.

I think only Air NZ do the whole Via the states thing.
    I have never gone that way but was put off by the fact you need some sort of visa for the states even though you are only transiting through.

As for the Emirates route, took that the last time so I could avoid Heathrow and fly directly into Wellington. NEVER again! Small slow planes! I know folks heading to South Africa rave about them but I don't like them. Also I didn't really enjoy the long stop over in Sydney, 3 hours, and not being allowed out of the airport. At least with Auckland I feel like I'm home cause I'm on Kiwi Soil!

You used to be able to fly Dublin to LA with Aer Lingus then pick up Air NZ or United to cross the Pacific. Two 11-12 hour flights depending on wind.

I used it a few times, it was great with pre-clearance of USA Immigration in Dublin. If you flew Air NZ, then it felt you were in NZ when you stepped on the plane in LA and on the return, felt like you were in Ireland when you stepped back on the Aer Lingus plane in LA.

I think there was even a choice of flying from LA into Auckland or Christchurch and stop-over options in Hawaii or Fiji.

Also avoided the whole Heathrow/Schipol/Frankfurt hassle, or Sydney these days with Etihad. Even better when you could use the air miles for free flights.

If someone opens up long haul from Dublin to USA West Coast again - as is sometimes mentioned in the media - then it becomes an option again.

dermiestv wrote: »
    You used to be able to fly Dublin to LA with Aer Lingus then pick up Air NZ or United to cross the Pacific. Two 11-12 hour flights depending on wind.

I used it a few times, it was great with pre-clearance of USA Immigration in Dublin. If you flew Air NZ, then it felt you were in NZ when you stepped on the plane in LA and on the return, felt like you were in Ireland when you stepped back on the Aer Lingus plane in LA.

I think there was even a choice of flying from LA into Auckland or Christchurch and stop-over options in Hawaii or Fiji.

Also avoided the whole Heathrow/Schipol/Frankfurt hassle, or Sydney these days with Etihad. Even better when you could use the air miles for free flights.

If someone opens up long haul from Dublin to USA West Coast again - as is sometimes mentioned in the media - then it becomes an option again.

I would be very interested in this option..
    I often think Aer Lingus (& the Virgin Family) are missing an oportunity that you cant book joint flights like you can on other airline websites.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    And how much is ridiulous?

prices in Auckland were bad at times but find a few other places and they are alright. Decent breakfast is like 10 dollars and Magners is 11 dollars or more.
    its cheaper away from the main cities, up in Northland at the moment and the prices are just like home after the conversion.

This was on Tues, I just had a listen to it. 5 people heading out to the RWC talk to John Murray on RTE1,

pod-v-30081122m15stjmsrugbyfamily-pid0-1335864.mp3

if you cannot get it there try feed://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_thejohnmurrayshow.xml and it's the Rugby WC Family 30th August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

prices in Auckland were bad at times but find a few other places and they are alright. Decent breakfast is like 10 dollars and Magners is 11 dollars or more.
    its cheaper away from the main cities, up in Northland at the moment and the prices are just like home after the conversion.

I can understand Magners, it's imported, when in Rome & all that. But you're seriously giving out about a €6 "decent breakfast" ???

testicle wrote: »
    I can understand Magners, it's imported, when in Rome & all that. But you're seriously giving out about a €6 "decent breakfast" ???

Don't expect a Fry though! Kiwis just cant make them - lack of ingredients! (Never had black pudding till I got to Ireland - yummy) Nothing to compare with a Full Irish!

I do miss the Pancakes with Banana, Maple syrup and bacon.
    Or
    Our Awesome Eggs Benedict or Eggs Florentine!
    AND
    The best COFFEE!!!!!!!

&Loads of other options!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Suafd

Anybody else going with haka tours http://www.hakatours.com/nz/tours/new-zealand-rugby-tour-quarter-finals-tour-for-pools-c-d on the 1/4 final tour or hear anything about them? Am also grabbing the Italy game but have to drive as far back as Oamaru to get a hotel room. If anyone wants a lift on one of these legs: Christchurch-Dunedin-Oamaru-Christchurch let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Heading out in da morning, very excited about the whole thing, hoping for a good world cup and some mighty craic.

Planning on going to all the matches, sorted accom for first one and going to wing it after that. :pac::pac::pac:

If anyone has a spare spot they are looking to fill in transport/accom for any of the Irish games, let me know.:D

Hey Luckycharm,

I am trying to get the last of my bits done here. Heading tomorrow night with Etihad. If anyone else is on the flight let me know.
    Don't know whether I'm excited, anxious, or what is going on with me. It seems strange. Its been a long time since I went traveling for as long.

I'm sorted with accomm and car hire/buses. See you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

2 spare seats in the car this weekend:
    Auckland >> New Plymouth (leaving Sat 1200-ish)
    New Plymouth >> Auckland (leaving Sun 2100-ish) [might stop somewhere half way back {near Hamilton} to sleep and continue in morning]

I'm driving down to the Ireland v USA game this weekend with a mate who just flew in from Ireland. Leaving Auckland on Saturday, probably late morning, stopping off at one or two places of interest. Mate is off travelling until the Aus game the next weekend, so driving back to AKL alone. I tried to get Monday off work, but no dice: so coming back on Sunday night after the game.

We'll split the petrol cost evenly.
    I'm living in Kingsland next to Eden Park, but I can come into town to pick you up.
    Send me a PM and I'll send you my mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Suafd

Heading out in da morning, very excited about the whole thing, hoping for a good world cup and some mighty craic.

Planning on going to all the matches, sorted accom for first one and going to wing it after that. :pac::pac::pac:

If anyone has a spare spot they are looking to fill in transport/accom for any of the Irish games, let me know.:D

Enjoy the trip. See my post above yours. Am going to drive down from christchurch to dunedin on day of game. Then back afterwards to oamaru. Have booked a double+single as its just as cheap. Then back to christchurch next day. Question tho: Would my girlfriend be happy if she heard about any such arrangement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭endainoz

Is there any website to check on prices of stuff in New Zealand? Im heading out at the start of october for 8 days and dont really know how much i should bring....I should have around 2 grand in aussie dollars. Would that be enough?

Advertisement