Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screws and things

• 17-08-2010 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

I have a stem that takes M4 screws. Does anyone know where I can get hex-headed M4 screws? CRC only seem to sell titanium M5/M6 ones and I have no interest in getting Ti ones.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

A proper hardware store should have them? Bring in the stem with ya if you can so you can check if you have the right ones. You want some kind of stainless steel ones - I get them from the parts section at work and they are excellent for not rusting but the average hardware store may not stock bolts of that quality. It's bolts you need btw, not screws - screws are pointy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

langdang wrote: »
    It's bolts you need btw, not screws - screws are pointy

Doh - good point. Always get confused with the terminology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

St John Street Cycles are great for all sorts of little things, how about these:-
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Apex-M4-Stainless-Steel-Bolt-Socket-Head-Cap--Pack-Of-10-1821.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's bolts you need btw, not screws - screws are pointy

In common hardware terminology they're called "socket cap screws".

E.g. here and here and here.

Since when do we use correct engineering terminology in Ireland?;)
    I knew someone would be along to say "well technically..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Lumen wrote: »
    In common hardware terminology they're called "socket cap screws".

E.g. here and here and here.

Thanks! I was having trouble finding them because I was using the wrong description :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Possibly not much help as Finglas might be out of your way, but I've bought some difficult to find bolts and screws from Tucks Fasteners in the past, when they were based in Eastpoint. I wasn't getting things for the bike at the time but they seemed to have a pretty comprehensive range that might include what you are looking for.

I know people complain about Halfords, but if convenience is a major factor then the set linked to by Lumen is the handiest - at least they are generally open beyond 5pm etc.

So what I've learned today is that while in common layman's terminology a screw is pointy and a bolt isn't, technically a screw doesn't have to be tapered - it only becomes a bolt if there is a nut used on the other end rather than tightening into a threaded body of metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

So what I've learned today is that while in common layman's terminology a screw is pointy and a bolt isn't, technically a screw doesn't have to be tapered - it only becomes a bolt if there is a nut used on the other end rather than tightening into a threaded body of metal.

Machine screws (like the M4 ones the OP is looking for) as almost never tapered (except for a tiny chamfer at the tip) - the threads are designed to mate with a corresponding nut/tapped hole from the very tip. Also bolts aren't always threaded along the entire length. Pointy screws are usually self-tapping, i.e., they make their own threads in the host material on insertion. Good for wood, not good at all for stems...

Skulks back to the Engineering forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

chamfer

Ooh - new word!

• Advertisement
Advertisement