Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

genuine question regarding christ's suffering

• 17-08-2010 8:44am

Christians are forever saying that Jesus Christ suffered worse than any human being alive ever did. While I understand that Jesus was tortured horrendously while completely innocent, and I don't envy Him that suffering one bit, I can't grasp why He suffered more than anyone else alive? People are being tortured for years by insufferable pain. What jumps to mind was when one of the guys I worked with for a charity lost his 16 year old son to a severe skin condition that would have caused him incredible pain throughout his entire life - his uncle said at the funeral that Jesus suffered unimaginable pain for hours, this boy suffered for 16 years. Other things spring to mind, like the innocent victim of Larry Murphy (obviously a hot topic right now) who suffered horrendous rapes and physical assault over the course of hours, following which she was inches from being suffocated to death when he was interrupted. She was an innocent victim forced through unimaginable suffering, not to mention the terror involved. And this is not a simple isolated case of human suffering. While I accept that Christ's suffering was the greatest, the highest price - I'm interested as to why, exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

The suffering of Christ is not "just" his death through crucifixion - there are enough examples of worse sufferings as you have already indicated.

The suffering of Christ is however unique. He alone became the sin-bearer and took the penalty of our sins on the cross. He alone experienced to be "forsaken by God." We cannot imagine the sufferings that came because of this, as no human has ever experienced anything even close.

Thanks Santang, that makes perfect sense for me. I was getting too caught up in the physical element of the crucifixion to consider the spiritual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Budgese,

the link below is from an account of the visions of Blessed Anne-Catherine Emmerich. It describes Christ's sufferings in the garden of Gethsamani and I found it very moving indeed. It's long but well worth a read.

http://my.homewithgod.com/israel/acemmerich2/#14

Some info on Blessed Anne-Catherine here

God bless,
    Noel.

Advertisement