Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crisis of faith

• 17-08-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

So my insurance is up soon and I'm thinking of packing in biking altogether. In summary : I'm a big girl, I don't need a bike anymore, biking is no fun without breaking the law and I really need my license.

I really only got into biking fairly recently - coming up on four years now, so it's really only recently that my restriction ended and I was able to buy a proper bike. Obviously for a while I lost the run of myself - bringing the bike up to crazy speeds just for the joy of it.... until I got caught. Now I'm trying to drive like an angel.....with varying success..... and I'm finding that it's just not fun anymore. You'd wonder sometimes do car drivers know just how slow they are. It seems to take a century for the average TDi to get to 70mph and once we finally get there I'm straining at the leash to be crawling along so slowly. I might as well be in a freaking Micra - I'd get to work just as fast.

On top of that I'm a complete fair weather biker. I don't like being cold and wet and yesterday I was both. I froze my ass off in my summer gear on the way to work and got soaked on the way home. All those wet roundabouts weren't much fun on a sports bike either. In the car I'd have just put the boot down and let the traction control worry about keeping the rear end in line. My last bike was actually parked up for over three months last winter too. This was partly because I didn't really like my last bike much and partly because of the unusually cold winter. A lot of the time even if the roads were passable the car park in work was like a skating rink - I just couldn't chance bringing the bike all the way in to end up on my face in the car park.

I don't really need a bike anymore either. For the last couple of years I was studying part time, so the bike was handy to get through rush hour traffic to class, or just handy to park at college with it's very limited spaces. Lately I don't even go into the city centre anymore and I do shift work so don't have to drive through rush hour. I'm finding the time taken to get my gear on, uncover the bike, unlock it, get it out from behind the house, lock it at my destination and take the gear off actually makes most journeys on the bike take longer than if i just hop into the car. If I take the car I can also avoid helmet hair and having to carry my gear around with me.

As for leisure riding - between my work schedule and the weather I don't really get much opportunity. The last time I did go for a spin with the lads my ass was killing me because of the bumpy roads. Once we went on the main roads it wasn't so bad, but there was still a few massive potholes to deal with.

So my bike's no fun in the wet, no fun when it's cold, no fun on bumpy roads and no fun in the sunshine on good roads when there's cops around. How do I enjoy my bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The major thing here is don't allow the bike to be a source of guilt. If it isn't working for you at the moment, permit yourself to put it to the back of your mind. It isn't nice to see your passion for anything waning but forgive yourself.

If you need to be a fair weather rider, then that's what you must be. If the bike doesn't get used for a month straight- so be it.

The speed thing is another problem. Would you consider changing for something less conducive to speeding? I find I can happily pootle along on my GSX1400 without getting the urge too much. What about restricting it untol you break old habits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Time for you to go for a trackday I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Time for you to go for a trackday I think.

Trouble there is they're addictive.(and pricy).....and really makes you hate road riding...

If you can afford to even just keep the bike ,do......you'll probably regret it if you sell it...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

First off, if you find the only thrill is speeding sell the bike before you hurt yourself or someone else (same goes for the car as well). It still leaves you with the option of trackdays, but buy a cheap 250cc or 400cc for that. If you have money to burn head over to england. The race tracks over there organise events most of the year round.

If you think you can get past the idea the 70Mph is "slow" on a main road, try some advanced rider training. It can do wonders for your confidence in the wet. You can also consider buying a different style of bike - get off the race replica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'll look after it for you for the year, then if you want her back let me know :P My bike one got stolen about 2 months ago, still waiting for insurance to come in so I'm learning to drive a car while I'm waiting. Not sure if I will buy a bike again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Is the bike paid for?

How much is the insurance per year?

If the bike is paid for, and the insurance is not too much, keep the bike.
    Then you will be able to go for a spin every now and then, when the weather is good.

Also, if your circumstances change, you will still have the bike if you want it for commuting, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Know how you feel Blitzkrieger.........I've been riding bikes now for 30 years, hate the cold weather, cant stand these sh-t Irish roads, and hate being overharged for insurance, especially if the bike is asleep for 6 or more months of the year. I have not asked the insurance companies here if they do a 6,3,or 1 month policy, as you can get in the UK.....you can even get insurance for the day over there.
    My problem was a bit like yours, loved the speed, got caught doing 160mph, ..but the sports bikes just bring out the horns. So with the passing of time I've now become a cruiser owner..........you just dont need to speed on these bikes......they're cool enough as they are, can be customised to your own spec, and the louder the better. Used in fine weather for pleasure only and getting to the odd bike show/rally. There's a large amount of cruiser bikers in the country and they're usually an easy going bunch.
    Dont give up on biking........change your attitude to it........you can stay within the boundaries of the law and still get an immense amount of pleasure from biking.
    If anyone has enquired about short term insurance policies let us know. If there is no such policy available, why not....you can get it in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

OP what age are you? Age is very much an issue with regards inability to go at the speed limit or at least close to it. It's also a major factor in a person's draw towards things with R and better yet RR. Then there's ZZR, but I'm not a Kawasaki person. The end of the alphabet is definitely the coolest.

Does going into the mountains and mastering the perfect lines through the twisties have no draw?

As for comfort do you think your gear is sufficient? During the last winter only the ice got me off the bike. Fingers got cold too but I kept wearing the summer gloves like a fool. With my lining in, winter gloves, and neck sock I have to do some serious motorway high speed stuff to feel the cold.

Then there's the right bike for the right job. Full sports isn't really meant to be commuting in traffic, it's a pain the the ass, back, shoulders, etc. Get a street sports machine for a far better riding position. Even try sitting on a cruiser if you'd be up for that.

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Age is very much an issue with regards inability to go at the speed limit or at least close to it.

Huh.jpg?psid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

cantdecide wrote: »
    The major thing here is don't allow the bike to be a source of guilt. If it isn't working for you at the moment, permit yourself to put it to the back of your mind. It isn't nice to see your passion for anything waning but forgive yourself.

If you need to be a fair weather rider, then that's what you must be. If the bike doesn't get used for a month straight- so be it.

The speed thing is another problem. Would you consider changing for something less conducive to speeding? I find I can happily pootle along on my GSX1400 without getting the urge too much. What about restricting it untol you break old habits?

All of the above. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

P.C. wrote: »
    Huh.jpg?psid=1

There's a reason the phrase 'Young and Reckless' exists, and it isn't propaganda dished out by old people. That isn't to say that there aren't any responsible people who like sport bikes and who are young.

Dorsanty wrote: »
    There's a reason the phrase 'Young and Reckless' exists, and it isn't propaganda dished out by old people. That isn't to say that there aren't any responsible people who like sport bikes and who are young.

Plenty of times I have seen a sports bike going like hell, and I think to myself - 'there goes some young kid, young and reckless' - only to find out (when the helmet is off) that it is a 50+ year old who knows how to ride a bike fast. :D

Not all bikers slow down as they get older. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Will i get a slap for calling pc old and reckless ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

OP, you need a different style of bike. One that doesn't promote such 'cravings', and, simultaneously, is ideal as a 'fair weather' rider.

I did that, and bought a H-D. And guess what ? I now use it 5 days a week ! It's such a hoot!

Much to my regret, after 20yrs, my SO gave up hers and lost all her NCB as well, and it's been a major, major faux-pas........:(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oh, and: the first sunny day you're out in the car, you'll wish you had your bike. Having one just for those days will be reward enough.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tree wrote: »

* delivers gentle slap on ar3e of cheeky young girl. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Tree wrote: »

Not at all
    P.C. wrote: »
    * delivers gentle slap on ar3e of cheeky young girl. :p

back in your rocking chair grandpa

p.s. get to organising pints ya lazy sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going on holiday so I'm going to let my policy expire and put it on the back burner. Probably end up renewing when I get back. I'll give it a year and see how things work out.

[aside]I don't want to argue too much about it but why do some people assume fast = reckless? 120kph is positively crawling on the roads I commute to work on. Weather & traffic permitting of course. But if I've got miles and miles of empty, wide open dual carraigeway in front of me..... [/aside]

Advertisement