Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest Aluminium adult mountain bike

• 17-08-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi looking to buy a mountain bike, adult , male
    Aluminium as well= increase of cost

In Galway area

Cheapest I have seen is in a toy shop for 170 euros
    http://www.toys.ie/26-Kawasaki-Axle-Aluminium-Frame-!G01982-prod.aspx
    Had a look at it, found it a bit heavy considering it is aluminium, it must be the suspension or fat frame. It does have disc brakes, never had them before.

Any way going to buy it if I cant find anything cheaper.

Know any where cheaper for such a bike?
    Would consider travel if cost is much less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

stay well away from it, at that price range all you are getting is something that resembles a bicycle.That thing would be dnagerous to bring off road, and very uncomfortable on it. If i were you , I would save up for a while and buy something a bit more reliable, bottom line is, never buy an adult bike from a toy shop or supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

yep these threads come up all the time, and I know it sounds almost pretentious but bikes in the very cheap range will only cost you in the long run (and by long its usually less than 6 months with these yokes!) and will most likely put you off cycling. If you cant/wont up your budget then look at second hand for a small bit more money. Dont look at disk brakes (or even suspension) as for proper working examples of either it will cost you more than your budget on these components alone.

All this sounds harsh, but best hear it now than waste 200euro then you need to start again, but with no budget!

What type of cycling are you looking at? is it specifically off road? Commuting etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Stay well away, its a BSO - "Bike Shaped Object."

Read some guides on how to properly size your bike and go after a second hand one.

Buying a bike from a toy shop will result in a big heavy toy. You want a bike. They aren't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

And judging by your username, you might want to consider splashing out on the saddle in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fannywart

oflahero wrote: »
    And judging by your username, you might want to consider splashing out on the saddle in particular.

Fantastically clever.

• Advertisement

Just had a look in a bike shop
    200 euro for 2nd hand trek all aluminium, no suspension, no disk brakes= very light.

150 euro for aluminium frame and steel suspension + steel handle bars and other parts made of steel= a bit heavier.

mmmmm
    so toy shop new Kawasaki bike all specs superficially appear good for 170 .
    Or
    2nd hand bikes.

Dont Kawasaki make motor bikes, should this not be an ok bike.

The reason for the bike is my wifes anti obesity campaign for me ie for a bit of a work out on roads rather than off road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Second hand trek sounds like a goer if the bike shop will vouch that it's in good working condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Yes, seriously, stay away from the toy shop. Buy cheap, pay twice as the old saw has it. Second-hand is definitely the way forward here on this budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

fannywart wrote: »
    Dont Kawasaki make motor bikes, should this not be an ok bike.

Not necessarily the same company, I remember reading about a "lamborgini" bicycle a few years ago that was made in China and assembled in Eastern Europe somewhere. They're just hitch-hiking on some-one else's brand name which makes it even less likely that it is a quality product (if this is the case). In fact, even if it is the same company, people who make good motor-bikes don't necessarily make good bicycles (very different design priorities).

I think it's safe to say that at your price point you need to go second hand. I've seen bikes of the kawasaki standard destroyed in a week of hard riding, brakes wear down, tyres don't hold air properly, suspension locks up, gears stick, spokes lose tension, axles break. There's a reason these "bikes" sell for 170e when well regarded brands like trek or giant price their entry level bikes around 400e and up.

Right then
    Ill go to the bike shop and offer him 170 for the more expesive 2nd hand bike.
    Thanks guys
    Over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Hold on tho..

you should try a few different bikes out, just because 2nd hand bikes tend to be better than bicycle shaped objects at this price doesn't mean to say all second hand bikes are good!

You want to try a few and check fit/ quality etc..

From what I understand you are new to cycling and want to get fit? then its worth spending a bit of time to get something comfortable and enjoyable.. otherwise you would increase your chances of giving up on cycling (perhaps at least..)

If you know very little then this is a good place to start.. search through for similar threads, post specific questions etc and see

Good luck
    km

Advertisement