Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maximum weight

• 17-08-2010 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in taking up cycling for fitness. I'd like to be able to get up on a sunday morning and go for a 20 mile cycle. I'm fairly fit as I play a lot of sports, but I'm well built - 110kg. Would I be too heavy for a racing bike? What would you recommend??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

reilig wrote: »
    Would I be too heavy for a racing bike?

No. Frames come with no weight restrictions and are a lot more sturdy than they look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

i know of at least one person on a entry level road bike weighing in around 19st, you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

MacGyver wrote: »
    i know of at least one person on a entry level road bike weighing in around 19st, you should be fine.

That's a heavy bike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Thanks guys. That's reassuring. I was just planning on an entry level road bike. It would be an enjoyable way to keep fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

You should be fine, I started cycling this year and I weighed about 105kg at the time, and my bike held up. That figure has dropped much closer to 90kg since, but I'm still no lightweight even at that, but at 6'3", I'm never going to be as light as some people can manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

I'm interested in taking up cycling for fitness. I'd like to be able to get up on a sunday morning and go for a 20 mile cycle. I'm fairly fit as I play a lot of sports, but I'm well built - 110kg. Would I be too heavy for a racing bike? What would you recommend??

I'm heavier than you Reilig and I've been doing spins up to 85 km on a MTB so I've been looking into sensible options for a road bike. Plane X rate their carbon frames for riders over 140kg. Wheels are probably more important. Haven't decided on what wheels to get yet, but will probably have to be 36 spoke wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Pedals are another area to consider if you are worried about weight bearing, but probably only a concern if you are looking at (pricey) titanium spindles. I've seen some online discussions of a titanium pedal spindle snapping when it had to suddenly bear the entire weight of the rider when their bike hit a pothole. As an example, Speedplay state a weight limit of 185lb for their titanium spindles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Hi Reilig,

I was in the same boat (110kgs, 6ft 5 - ignore my username!), simply had to upgrade the wheels. Got a trek 1.2 for €775 and spent a further €175 on handbuilt wheels (Mavic CXP 33 Rims with 105 hubs). Havent looked back, great bike.

Advertisement