Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers writes anti-Metro column (x4) [SEE MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

OK Furet, we are now all clear on the rules. Cheers.

Interesting to note that pretty much no one seems to be answering Myers' ridiculous pieces - I think pretty much everyone realises that we need an underground system of some sort in this city.#

At this point, I think he is just best ignored, because making a stink out of it will just bestow his nonsensical articles some credibility, when in my view, they have zero.

Of course, should people start believing him, then a campaign of resistance should begin, and the letters to the editor should go flying in!

Myers is playing dirty politics - his mention of "useful" quangos like the western development commision is purely designed to mobilise to "Anti anything in Dublin" rural opinion against this project. Im glad to see few have fallen for his manipulation so far - and that most in other parts of Ireland realises that this city has to work, is decades behind the times in terms of transport provision, and that it has to change.

Thankfully, with nationwide road improvements, and excellent Motorway networks around the nation, people are starting to see that all investment is NOT just about the Dublin area - Limerick, and Cork in particular now have superior and improving road systems, and are benefiting from the provision of regional rail which we all hope to see more of. Galway is also progressing nicely, while Waterford has benefitted from extensive road imrpovments. Not only the Cities, but our larger regional towns are gaining efficient links around the country also. It is concrete evidence that not everything happens in Dublin!

Myers opposition is nothing more than political play, but a foul game which jeopardises the needs of Dublin.

If we need to, if people start listening, then we should be prepared to resist it at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

runway16 wrote: »
    Myers is playing dirty politics - his mention of "useful" quangos like the western development commision is purely designed to mobilise to "Anti anything in Dublin" rural opinion against this project.

I'm always bemused at politicans or journos who take this stance.

You'd swear there was a wall built around Dublin and no non-Dubliners lived and worked in the city. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/1001/ntma.html
    UCD economist Colm McCarthy has said the Government will have to look at expenditure cuts and raising revenue over the coming years as part of its fiscal planning.

He told RTÉ today that the Government could expand the tax base by including water and residential property taxes. He added that there are quite a few things in his Bord Snip report that could be revisited.

He also suggested that large capital projects such as Metro North may have to be deferred. He warned that if measures are not now taken to reassure international financial markets, the country will pay over the odds for borrowing and could end up getting assistance from the International Monetary Fund or the European Financial Stability Facility.

Was this not already in the original report?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'm always bemused at politicans or journos who take this stance.

You'd swear there was a wall built around Dublin and no non-Dubliners lived and worked in the city. :rolleyes:

I'm one of them myself mate, though i'd like to consider myself a citizen of the world than a culchie..... (and rednecks would like to be called "sons of the soil" but it aint ever gonna happen..... ;-) )

You would be surprised how prevalent that feeling is around the country though - in a recent conversation with my aul fella, he uttered the dreaded "dublin gets everything" when talking about infrastructure in the area where they live. I quickly informed him of the Limerick Tunnel, The M7, the Gort Crusheen M18 scheme, the soon to start Gort to Tuam scheme, the M20, the Limerick - Galway rail service..... he soon wound his neck in....;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

dubhthach wrote: »
    Our sun is too small* to become a SuperNova so I'm sure the folks in ABP will not need to waste two years deciding if it should.

*A star needs to have at least 9-10 times the mass of our Sun to be a candidate for a supernova

Our Sun is tiny compared to some of starts out there:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Star-sizes.jpg

I'll see your 9-10 sol masses and lower you to 1.4
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit

• Advertisement
Advertisement