Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sometimes you're the pigeon - sometimes you're the statue

• 17-08-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

My tale of woe this morning......

Just south of Gormanstown - crashed at low speed when a jeep decided he was coming up the hard shoulder because the traffic being held up by a tractor wasn't moving fast enough for him. Tore my favourite gloves.

Balbriggan - puncture - rear wheel, metal shard.

Sutton - puncture - front wheel, cause not determined.

Apart from that the bits where I was cycling were great fun (even in the drizzle) and I did get to spot boards.ie jersey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Looks like today just isn't your day. Take it easy and don't push things. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Jawgap wrote: »

Just south of Gormanstown - crashed at low speed when a jeep decided he was coming up the hard shoulder because the traffic being held up by a tractor wasn't moving fast enough for him. Tore my favourite gloves.

Apart from that the bits where I was cycling were great fun (even in the drizzle) and I did get to spot boards.ie jersey.

And you haven't even made it home yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

yeah the 2nd puncture is when I stop being cross and start laughing when it happens to me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All in one day, thats awful bad luck man.
    Not your day eh? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

The amount of bad driving I have seen over the last three weeks of driving on old N1 (I usually take the train, taking N1 for partner on learner permit) is uneffingbelievable! Vast majority never indicate, most wouldn't look at the mirrors and a lot of people pull right in front of you causing you to slam on the breaks. It's ridiculous. I am planning to get one of those 8 euro cameras mentioned in Bargain Alerts, and tape it to the dash. I will then post all the bad driving onto youtube - an attempt to name and shame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

And you haven't even made it home yet....

yeah, just about to head out for round two!! wheels are pumped back to a proper pressure and I've bought two new tubes.

Thought I'd just got away with a torn glove this morning, but my right index finger is now the size of my thumb - think I wrenched something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah, just about to head out for round two!! wheels are pumped back to a proper pressure and I've bought two new tubes.

Thought I'd just got away with a torn glove this morning, but my right index finger is now the size of my thumb - think I wrenched something.

Godspeed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well did you manage to get home without further issues?

No problems to report - went in to Balbriggan Garda Station to report the dope in the jeep and gave the details to the Garda - he was very efficient and was honest enought to admit that they probably couldn't do a lot, but the owner will be getting a house-call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

What happened with the jeep? Did yo crash to avoid him? And did he stop, or did you just take reg plates as he drove off?

• Advertisement

Bill2673 wrote: »
    What happened with the jeep? Did yo crash to avoid him? And did he stop, or did you just take reg plates as he drove off?

Kind of.

I was at the head of a line of traffic held up by a tractor and trailer. The tractor moved to the middle of the road and left the hard shoulder open but I wasn't sure if he was going left or right so I just spun along on the hard shoulder staying behind him and waiting to see what he was going to do.

At some point I became aware that another vehicle was very close to me - I looked behond and saw a jeep trying to get between me and another car. I think he was trying to get past me and undertake the tractor on the hard shoulder.

Anyway, I kind of moved to my left to open up a gap, figuring I'd let the tosser through rather than fall under his wheels and he seized the opportunity before I'd moved much to my left. I looked again and while I was looking I hit either a rock or a cat's eye quite hard- then I saw I was heading for a bloody big pothole and tried to steer around it as jeepy-man was squeezing by - got the front wheel around the pothole (I think) - but the back wheel slipped into it - felt myself losing balance and panicked because I thought I was falling into the road so I flung myself into the hedge / ditch beside the road.

The jeep sped off before I could clock his details but two of the following motorists stopped to help me - one got his number and gave it to me along with his own contact details in case I needed a witness.

Next time, I'm holding my line!

Advertisement