Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School confusion!

Options
  • 17-08-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi, first post but been looking a fair bit. I'm in a bit of a pickle. My family and I just moved back to Ireland, I've never lived her much and we travelled as both my parents needed to with their jobs. Mom put our names down in quite a few schools but I don't know where to pick or if even out choices are as fast as I anticipated. I would prefer mixed education as my brother will be with me then, we've been home-schooled all along so I don't really want to separate from him. We both finished the Junior Cert syllabus while travelling so am I right in saying we will be going into Transitional Year or 5th year? Any suggestions welcome. My parents leave our decisions up to us. Also if the Galway forum is not best feel free to move it or I can duplicate the post. I'd prefer to do mostly practical subjects, odd for a girl but I love them. I will also probably sit 2 science subjects as it would be expected I at least toy with the idea of medicine. Any advice appreciated? Thanks

Comments

I think most schools have mandatory Transition Year - I may be wrong in this. Personally went to Colaiste Einde, out on the Threadneedle Road, and you had the option to do TY or not, but I think they changed it the year after I left.

The mixed schools I know of are - Colaiste Einde (Endas) and the Jes. There are probably many more, but none are coming to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Transition year is definitely not mandatory in every school. It might be an easier way to ease yourself into school life if you've been home schooled so far though. In TY the emphasis is placed less on academic performance than in 5 th year so it's probably a better way toget acquainted with school life and also it might be an easier place to make friends.

Where a school would feel you'd slot into their system though would be a matter for them so you would have to contact them and ask them individually. I'd recommend that you set about doing that this week as this is the week our Leaving Cert results come out so there should be a secretary and principal on the premises. Next week alot of principals shut up shop and enjoy the last week of their school holidays. There'd be quite a bit to sort out so doing it sooner rather than later would be wise.

Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Where have you got your names down for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume now you're moving to Galway City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How old are you both?

I just ask this as transition might be a good idea if you're on the young side.

Also, you'll only be able to do 2 practical subjects AS WELL AS the 2 science subjects as for the Leaving Cert, to get into University, you'd have to do the following as minimum:

Maths
    English
    (I presume you're exempt from Irish?)
    Language (e.g. French, Spanish or German etc)
    2 science subjects
    2 practical.

Anything more than 7 subjects would really be stretching it.

It's hard to get a school that mixes good academic achievement with the opportunity to do practical subjects anywhere, never mind just in Galway.

Unfortunately, it's the way the education system is in Ireland i.e. crap.

For yourself, you could go to Moneenageisha. It is the only technical school in the city now. i.e. practical subjects such as metal work, wood work, construction etc. However, they don't have a history of pumping out graduates into Medicine or Dentistry. That could be to do with the fact that most of the folk who go there just aren't interested in those types of 3rd level course though.

Where are you living and we can suggest some schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

What about private school? They are mixed and generally get better results? Don't know if they do many practical exams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not moneen , Christ. :(

There is no problem getting into good schools in Galway City post junior cert year but there is getting into transition year itself as places are limited. All principals are back at work from tomorrow so do the rounds of all of them starting thursday ( not tomorrow)

Good Boys. Bish or Marys
    Good Girls. Salerno or Taylors Hill

There is no really good school for both sexes and although the Jes may take both it can be a right mixed bag academically depending on that years class.

Not academic, any of them will cater to those requirements :D They will not have to do Irish at all and may be best choosing a foreign language they are good at rather than the usual French and studying that language at home. If they have good Spanish they are already at Leaving Cert honours written and spoken level for example. There are leaving cert papers in all sorts of languages nowadays even if they are not taught in schools, Russian Polish Chinese etc.

To get to college FREE may require they do TY as I think they need to do 3 years secondary schooling to get waived the fees, ask when doing the rounds. Otherwise you pay €13000 a year in fees MINIMUM for being foreign and €17,000 a year for medicine.

"Foreign" depends on where you got your schooling not on your passport and this tax year qualifies as one of the 3 years for the parents unless they were on VSO/APSO type work with the Government Abroad ...the parents should take advice from VSO/APSO immediately.

Therefore doing transition + 2 leaving cert years seems like a jolly good idea does it not :p ????

Outside Galway but close.

Dunno about Headford

Calasanctious College ??? in Oranmore is also mixed and I understand the top stream there is rather good quality. Worth a look too.

The Tech ( not the Pres) in Athenry is supposed to be a good school and is mixed.

Spiddal is mixed and very academic but teaches through Irish.

They are the easily commutable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

We put out names down for pretty much every school but only arrived back this weekend so have no idea who will have us. My mother wants to go in on Thursday to see what they can offer. We are exempt from Irish but I want to sit it, is that possible? We're both fluent in Irish so it might be doable. I'm really anxious not to go to a girls school, I'm not into catty girls or that kind of thing, we're moving to Claregalway for now so I thought Galway Community College looked good, we can sit all the practical subjects there but now you are all saying it is the worst school so I'm not sure. Is that based on the people that go there? Because surely the teachers would value students such as us who work then, or maybe not? I don't really know. The Jes seems kind of cool, no uniform etc. but not many practical subjects. I would love to tackle my education through Irish but we were told the Irish school does not take people as late entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

i went to moinin, im now in an honours degree because of it. like anything u get out of it what you put in. it does have a bit of a rep, but like anything else, it gets blown outta proportion.

we're moving to Claregalway for now so I thought Galway Community College looked good, we can sit all the practical subjects there but now you are all saying it is the worst school so I'm not sure. Is that based on the people that go there? Because surely the teachers would value students such as us who work then, or maybe not?

Check Oranmore as a priority, including/especially with your neighbours in Claregalway.

You are instinctively correct about the Community College, if you want to learn the top classes will be very small and the teachers in there and facilities themselves are excellent and in a small class there won't be a problem....until you leave the classroom that is . The playground will be a zoo.

Transition year could be a zoo too.

Your questions to them should be:

a) will they offer your subjects to honours level
    b) how big are the classes.

If they do not guarantee to run an "honours" class in your subjects then walk away fast. Offering the subject at "lower" level is no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

We put out names down for pretty much every school but only arrived back this weekend so have no idea who will have us. My mother wants to go in on Thursday to see what they can offer. We are exempt from Irish but I want to sit it, is that possible? We're both fluent in Irish so it might be doable. I'm really anxious not to go to a girls school, I'm not into catty girls or that kind of thing, we're moving to Claregalway for now so I thought Galway Community College looked good, we can sit all the practical subjects there but now you are all saying it is the worst school so I'm not sure. Is that based on the people that go there? Because surely the teachers would value students such as us who work then, or maybe not? I don't really know. The Jes seems kind of cool, no uniform etc. but not many practical subjects. I would love to tackle my education through Irish but we were told the Irish school does not take people as late entries.
    Oranmore would be your best bet, good practical subjects and close to Claregalway without having to head in to the city

I like the sound of Oranmore only it seems really big. I'm not used to that many. As for the zoo could suit us as we spent two years in a jungle (that was a joke!) Why would a school be comparable to a zoo? I'm confused enough about that. If the subject was offered at higher level we could have small classes so it might be worth asking about that? Are teachers in this school of a poor quality as it is a community school?
    Regarding private, my mother won't hear of it, she says it's not a natural way to learn and not all teachers there are in it for the right reasons. Both herself and Dad got top marks and never paid anything extra so she's adamant on that one.

I would love to tackle my education through Irish but we were told the Irish school does not take people as late entries.

I know their entrance policy is first on the list has first refusal for starting in first year. I don't know their policy for joining in later years though. It used to be allowed when I went there. It would be worth talking to them if you're really interested. I thought it was a fantastic school when I was there.

As for Moneen, two of my brothers went there and I had a few classes there myself. I wouldn't say it's a bad school but a lot if the students really don't want to be there (or in school at all) and can be disruptive. Personally I wouldn't like to start there after being homeschooled. I used to find it very intimidating, and that's something as I grew up in a rough enough area.

The Irish school does not let people from Claregalway in, only people from the west of the city...even as far as Moycullen and Spiddal. Odd for a CITY VEC school but there you go

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Irish school does not let people from Claregalway in, only people from the west of the city...even as far as Moycullen and Spiddal. Odd for a CITY VEC school but there you go

Got a source for that? All I get on google is another post by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

Depending on where in Claregalway you are living, Tuam may also be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The Tech ( not the Pres) in Athenry is supposed to be a good school and is mixed.

Very insightful post, but i must disagree with the above. The Pres. Athenry (also mixed) destroys the Tech each year (bare i think one this decade) in average LC performances. And was in the top 5 in the county (i believe na Coirbe was no. 1, then Yeats or Jarleths, etc). Ridiculously long waiting list but that's in 1st year, shouldn't be a problem post-Junior Cert.

Look at the Pres as well as the Tech in Athenry so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Look at the Pres as well as the Tech in Athenry so :)

Haha! :pac: On a side note, is it been my imagination or have Oranmore not being getting a bad rep. in the past year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

This is complete rubbish, they don't care what side of the city you're from. I know many people from as far out east as Spiddal is out west who attend Coláiste na Coiribe.

• Advertisement

I told them check with their neighbours in Claregalway for up to the minute information. Oranmore is probably the biggest secondary school in all of Galway nowadays, that or Gort.

I'd say the bottom class there is a thing of ehmmm ummm 'beauty' but then again there are some very good schools in Galway City with braindead dross in their bottom classes.

I don't think the OPs parents heard of 'foundation level' leaving cert , introduced in recent years for those who were not able for the old pass leaving cert.

One final tip for the OP, make absolutely sure your parents claim the "childrens allowance" for you lot since the minute you entered the country ...ie before the end of June. It is the only way you can prove your 3 years residence.

and Good Luck. SB /out.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

I told them check with their neighbours in Claregalway for up to the minute information.

Not about the Irish school you didn't. I'd like to clarify that they've never only let people from the west of the city in.

Móinín/Galway Community College has great facilities but could be a bit rough, I sometimes share a bus home with some kids from Móinín and they've never failed to cause a scene. Of course these kids could be exceptions but it's happened a good few times now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'd say the bottom class there is a thing of ehmmm ummm 'beauty'

The bottom class in the school I went to was definately a thing of 'ehmmmmmm ummmmmmm beauty' :p

I'm not originally from Galway but I'm here quite a long time, and I always consistently hear extremely good things about the Jez, both from former pupils and parents of current pupils; there seems to be a very nice atmosphere there.

I know they did have an All Irish stream there but I don't know if they still do??

Deffo think that you should put the school on your 'to be considered' list tho OP:)

Also it's worth considering, if you want to go to university, that it may not be possible to do all the practical subjects that you would so love to do, owing to the subject requirements to gain entry into University, bearing in mind that you have to do at least two science subjects to get entry into Medicine, aswell as English, Irish(unless you are exempt), Maths, and a foreign language.....that's 6 subjects straight away; and 7 subjects is the norm...

I think only one practical subject is going to work as I want to do two science. I don't think TY is for me, have spent the evening educating myself and it sounds like what I've been up to for the past 15 years to be honest, if anything I need less new experiences and more normal ones.

Also, why ar students not reported for causing such trouble? Surely equally sharing them among all schools is fairer? I've yet to see facilities like the ones in the brochure for this school elsewhere, why are they given to students who mostly do not want to be there? Seems entirely daft!

Can your parents afford minimum €13000 a year third level tuition fees and have you bothered telling them about the three year residency rule. If you do medicine that is 6 years x €17000 a year....all because you refused to do a transition year.

Self centred would be a kind way to describe someone who landed their parents with a shocker of a bill like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I
    Also, why ar students not reported for causing such trouble? Surely equally sharing them among all schools is fairer? I've yet to see facilities like the ones in the brochure for this school elsewhere, why are they given to students who mostly do not want to be there? Seems entirely daft!

Afaik, I think Moneenageisha is what's known as a 'Deis' school. These, in VEC terms are regarded as disadvantaged schools/schools for disadvantaged pupils, so they get major funding for facilities and the like. Hence the good facilities.

However, the downside of a 'Deis' school is that they have to take everybody, including those thrown out of other establishments, and have to keep them; i.e. they cannot expel them, and suspending them for any length of time greater than a short period is difficult. Hence the 'clientele' at a lot of these schools is often less than desirable. In saying that, some 'Deis' schools don't have this problem, but mostly these would be located in more rural areas. They have a focus on practical subjects in the hope that these will appeal to the less academic yet still bright students, so that they can go on and perhaps pursue a trade when they leave school.

Most 'techs' as they are nicknamed, in the majority of large towns/citys generally don't have a good reputation as they tend to contain the very worst type of student. That's not to say that some people can't do well out of them, but they are more the exception than the rule. As somebody who has been homeschooled I don't think Moneenageisha would be the most ideal place.

With regard to your favouring of practical subjects I trust that you are aware that Woodwork(or Building construction as it is known at Leavinhg cert level) and Technical graphics are amongst the hardest subjects to attain A1/A2 grades in. As somebody potentially chasing medicine, that isn't ideal in terms of maximising your points; just something worth bearing in mind.

You might be advised to go and see a Career Guidance counsellor with regard to all of this; it's very important that you not only choose the right school, but also choose the right subjects in order to do a good Leaving cert and best place yourself for the University course of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I sent you a PM, I'd hardly describe anything I read here as self-centred, just mis-informed perhaps, you're doing well to ask all the questions now. I'd recommend you do engineering as we get high results with that in our school, that and two science subjects. Regarding the school, the cream rises to the top regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Must say I think the OP is the best example of 'old head on young shoulders' Ive ever come across. Fair play to you girl (and your parents). Good luck with your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can your parents afford minimum €13000 a year third level tuition fees and have you bothered telling them about the three year residency rule.

I'm pretty sure that the rule is three year residency, though, and not three year's of secondary education.

Nothing I've read here makes me think that the OP needs a TY. Or that the parents will necessarily fund their third level education, for that matter.

(In case any other foreigners wonder: in Ireland transition year is for students of all levels of ability, where they can do all sorts of cool stuff and hopefully grow up a bit before putting heads down and working on the Leaving Cert the following year. Unlike some other places, where TY is strictly for the ones who aren't going to make it into third-level, and is a process aimed at transitioning them into the workforce - anyone who's still enrolled in school at the end of the year has even failed at that!)

OP - one question to check with the schools is the small matter of transport from Claregalway. You'll need to think carefully what sort of commute you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Sponge Bob, you seem to have some chip on your shoulder about 2nd level education. And some weird, incorrect information...

Colaiste na Coirbe does NOT only enrol people from the west of the city. Why are many of my neigbours attending it if that's the case? I'm in the east side of the city.

Also, you're generalisation of Moneen being a zoo is extremely unfair. Like another poster said, you get what you put in.

And you're making pretty big assumptions about the OP's situation/personal life.

You've no right to lecture them about putting their parents in financial difficulty when you have absolutely NO idea what their family situation is.

Unless you have actual facts and helpful information to post, you'd be best to stay out of it altogether me thinks.

Advertisement