Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School confusion!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kraggy wrote: »
    You've no right to lecture them about putting their parents in financial difficulty when you have absolutely NO idea what their family situation is.

Unless you have actual facts and helpful information to post, you'd be best to stay out of it altogether me thinks.

Yawn Kraggy. A Cousin of mine arrived in Ireland a few years ago and because of the three year rule is now attending University in Cambridge because that is cheaper than attending University in Galway. It was unavoidable in his case. It is possibly avoidable in the OPs case depending on a number of factors and will possibly influence their entire future.

They need to be aware of it right now. I suggest, in addition to the links I already provided that the OP brings the material linked at bottom to their parents attention and that the family discuss the matter between them, privately....as in not with me or with you.

The three year rule is critically related to the parents tax treatment ( resident or non resident in the EU ) in this financial year 2010. The key question is whether 3 years is the three FULL tax years , that would be 2010 - 2012 inclusive prior to starting a course or three years elapsed....August 2010 to August 2013 for example and the qualifying date from which the three years is counted. Or is that June 2010 to June 2013 ??? I don't know. I only know the financial consequences if they do not qualify for free tuition.

'Foreign' fees have risen from around €9000 a year for Arts in 2007 to €13,000 a year for Arts in 2010....ie greatly in excess of inflation.

It is probable ( meaning a greater likelihood than possible) that a student who does not qualify for free tuition and who starts Medicine in Galway say in 2012 will incur tuition fees of up to €25,000 a year , cash, before they finish.

While ole Sponge Bob could pony up an annual wedge like that without batting an eyelid many parents simply cannot. Therefore their children cannot do medicine no matter how many points they get.

So Do Read This OP and do bring it to your parents attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

How about doing a PLC the year after the Leaving? Just a thought. I'd say a student with this much motivation has thought things through on some level. I'd love a student with 60 countries of residency under their belt, imagine the essays they're churn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I love the fact I was so clueless two years ago! First year med going well thusfar, my opinion that your school doesn't matter if you're driven still stands!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I love the fact I was so clueless two years ago! First year med going well thusfar, my opinion that your school doesn't matter if you're driven still stands!

A post after 2 years? What school did you end up going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cool - so what school did you end up in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

op will answer in two years time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

In my view, seriouslysweet and Gaeilgegrinds1 are one and the same poster, so a lot the their posts are pointless exercises in vanity. Or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In my view, seriouslysweet and Gaeilgegrinds1 are one and the same poster, so a lot the their posts are pointless exercises in vanity. Or something.

I doubt it, there's a few years between them in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I'm hardly going to say where I went as I'd be known then! I just think too much is put on where you go rather than what you do yourself.

Advertisement