Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting problem

Options
  • 17-08-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I recently came across lights I want to use for under counter kitchen lighting but they come wired with a plug.

Can I remove this plug and wire them directly into the light switch in the kitchen? I was thinking that the power was passing through the rated fuse in the plug and wiring them directly into the lighting system might not be the best idea?

If it's not a great idea is there any way I can get some sort of inline fuse for these lights so that I can wire them directly to the light switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It is possible to wire them to the light switch if there is a neutral and earth connection there.( Normally there may not be an earth and neutral connection though)
    the simplest solution would be to plug in the lights and wire a switch inline perhaps under the press. You just have to break the brown wire coming from the plug lead. Connect feed wire into com and the switch wire into L1.

There may be a spare socket that you can use behind a press or beside extractor fan.

Remember to isolate power when working on electrics.

Advertisement