Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to reality

• 17-08-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've a bit of an odd situation and am looking for someone to guide me. My family and I have only just moved back to Ireland, we have been travelling pretty much our whole lives with my parents work. Should I begin Transitional Year or 5th year do you think? I did mock Junior Certificate exams in 12 subjects and found them reasonably simple so hope my academic standard is up to scratch. Also is online learning done much here? While away we had quite a bit of tutoring online in the subjects our parents could not teach us and I found it quite beneficial but it does not seem too common here. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Hi, I've a bit of an odd situation and am looking for someone to guide me. My family and I have only just moved back to Ireland, we have been travelling pretty much our whole lives with my parents work. Should I begin Transitional Year or 5th year do you think? I did mock Junior Certificate exams in 12 subjects and found them reasonably simple so hope my academic standard is up to scratch. Also is online learning done much here? While away we had quite a bit of tutoring online in the subjects our parents could not teach us and I found it quite beneficial but it does not seem too common here. Thanks
    There's a few websites that sell grinds online, I don't know what the quality is like.

What kind of schooling were you in before arriving back here?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I've never been to formal school, odd but true. I've lived in over 60 countries and most were very remote given the nature of my parents' work. They split up the subjects they felt we needed to learn and taught us for an hour or two a day, sometimes more. And obviously we learned a lot by doing and from travelling. I'm awfully worried about school as I think I'm going to be seen as the odd one, I really don't know what to expect. I'll look up the online side of things, I think perhaps a week of lessons next week might allay my fears somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I've never been to formal school, odd but true. I've lived in over 60 countries and most were very remote given the nature of my parents' work. They split up the subjects they felt we needed to learn and taught us for an hour or two a day, sometimes more. And obviously we learned a lot by doing and from travelling. I'm awfully worried about school as I think I'm going to be seen as the odd one, I really don't know what to expect. I'll look up the online side of things, I think perhaps a week of lessons next week might allay my fears somewhat.
    Depending on how old you are, transition year might give you a chance to settle into a 'normal' school routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

60 countries:eek::eek::eek:!!! Woah! Well, I never did TY but if you want to make friends I'd suggest doing that, but you'd still make friends even if you did go straight into 5th, just not as fast I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

After such a different life, i'd recomment Transition Year to slowly ease you into a routine. It'll also give you a chance to catch up on anything important from Junior Cert that you might have missed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

This reminds me of Cady in Mean Girls :D I would choose TY, 5th year is a bit full-on if you're not used to a structured day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd just go into 5th year, TY is a bit of a waste of time and won't prepare you for senior cycle. Theres no online studying like there is in America where you can earn your diploma for secondary school, but lots of places have notes and stuff online. If you get a few revisewise have a look through those and then see if maybe you'd need the extra year. I don't think you'll be seen as the odd one though, I mean 60 countries! Thats pretty cool :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The closest we get to online studying here is Moodle, which some schools don't use at all and others use very effectively.

TY would be best to get into the swing of things. The JC is a fairly easy straightforward exam designed to give you as many marks as possible so don't judge the LC on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Thanks to all but particularly Crayolastereo, I really don't know how this is going to work but fingers crossed. I've never spent 7 hours like I will for the next 2 years just sitting and learning, it's so alien but fingers crossed. Do you all advise we don't do Irish, we're exempt but fluent so it seems a bit silly really. I love it and think it's easy but maybe there is a part of the course I know nothing about that I won't be able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I'd suggest TY, but get the 5th year books and do a bit from them every now and then, so that 5th isn't a total system shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Thanks to all but particularly Crayolastereo, I really don't know how this is going to work but fingers crossed. I've never spent 7 hours like I will for the next 2 years just sitting and learning, it's so alien but fingers crossed. Do you all advise we don't do Irish, we're exempt but fluent so it seems a bit silly really. I love it and think it's easy but maybe there is a part of the course I know nothing about that I won't be able for.

Like other posters said, I would lean towards doing transition year as it would probably be good to ease you into things, with maybe getting the 5th year books and doing a bit etc. I know some people find TY a waste of time, but I think that depends on the individual (and the school).

I would do the Irish, given that you enjoy it and are already fluent. That puts you ahead of many, many people who have done Junior Cert Irish and there's absolutely no reason you wouldn't be able for the Leaving Cert course. Maybe have a look at the books for Irish to see it for yourself?

I wouldn't worry too much about being the odd one out either as you mentioned earlier. There'll be a settling-in period but you shoud be fine. Like crayolastereo said your life story to date sounds pretty cool. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Defo do Irish. The course has been dumbed down completely (in MY opinion. I know you'll all disagree :P ). The new irish course will be focused on oral, which would suit someone fluent perfectly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

People who say TY is a waste are being too closed minded.

and with your situation it will definatly help you adjust,seeing as it wont be throwing you straight into normal schooling,but will also help you adjust.

While it sounds like you've had a fantastic and interesting like traveling you need time to become and live life as an ordinary teenager and TY lets you have that time.TY let me be a teenager,being able to go out and do bought fun and stupid things with my friends,have little home adventures and basically be a teen.With 5ht adn 6ht year however you have far less free time to live and act your age.7-8 months of my near ending teenage years at 18 were taken away by the leaving cert.

So honestly do 4th year,it will help your transition in and let you become a teenagers :D

Advertisement