Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchadonney to Dublin

Options
  • 17-08-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 9 year old son is taking surf lessons in Inchadonney this week and has become instantly addicted to surfing. I'd like him to keep it up when we return home to Dublin. Any suggestions on how best to do that? Are there any suitable surf spots for him in South Dublin or Wicklow? Are there any clubs he could join?

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

Ben,
    The very best way you can help him to get surfing is to start yourself if you can. You are never too old and if you're like most people will regret that you didnt start years ago!

Its very difficult to get somebody else to take a junior of any age surfing for lots of reasons. You will get surf on the east cost from time to time but the west is the best option and not that far away, particularly if you want to go for yourself as well.

For clubs look to the East Coast Surf Club.

If you are in Inchydonney this week then take some lessons yourself, although I dont think there is much in the way of surf there at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Longboarder,

Thanks for the practical info. As it happens I'm taking a lesson myself in the morning so who knows maybe I will catch the bug!!

Hooked! Looks like we'll be in the market for a couple of boards and wetsuits :-) All suggestions much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Hop in the car and head over to Sligo/Donegal. The waves on the East coast are inconsistent and you'll find it much easier to learn in better quality waves.

Definitely hooked, both of us.

I'm just getting the hang of getting to my feet but my son is flying.

Has anyone got some practical advice on the best way for both of us to get kitted out? If we had proper wetsuits and the right boards I could see us heading to the west coast the odd Saturday morning, staying the night in a B&B or whatever and home again Sunday afternoon.

All suggestions and tips much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Hey,

I started out with Bundoran Surf Co. a couple of years back, they offer beginner packages which are reasonable enough and the guys in the shop are really nice to deal with - http://www.bundoransurfco.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

Ben,
    Here is my advice:

Firstly I would recommend getting your wetsuits close to home. That way if you have problems with zips, seams etc it is much easier to bring back to the shop. There are many good shops in the Dublin area.

Buy winter suits. If you have the bug you will, both want to and need to, continue surfing as much of the year as you can.

Get some Bic boards to start with. Something like the 8'4" magnum for you and your son could cope with something smaller if he's already flying. These boards are great to start on, will hold their value well and you should even be able to find some second hand if need be.

Then get in the mind set of doing day trips. Head west in the morning and back that evening. Overnights are great but if they are only the odd weekend then you need more time in the water.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

If you can see yourself getting better in the near future, you should buy something like an nsp 7'6" fun board and something smaller for your son. maybe a 7" short board style board or 6'10" short board with a lot of volume. this way when you improve you will not have to replace your board. otherwise you could be a long boarder? many people starting at an older age choose this discipline as it doesn't need as much balance or energy :D

Advertisement