Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fight Before Christmas... Part III

• 17-08-2010 11:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

First of all, I'm delighted to get in before Argos to be the first person to mention Christmas.

Friday, December 3rd 2010. I know it's early but I thought I'd get the date in everyone's heads. This will be the biggest Fight Before Christmas yet in a new venue on Dublin's Northside and in a cage this time. I've already got some fights lined up but I'm looking for lots more.

This show will see the first ever trial of the proposed new "c" class rules, meaning every fight on the night will feature head shots on the ground. I hope this will make for a more level playing field than exists currently and will be something that will make the fights more exciting for the crowds watching and will bring greater ground action.

If you have any fighters available, please contact me barry@informedperformance.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I just have to say....I hope I get to be one of the first fighters punched in the face on the ground in Ireland...it would be such an honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

hehe your meant to say you hope to be the one who punches someone else in the face on the ground! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pccb

What levels u need mate? We have quite a few at all levels and would def be able to take squad down. I will pm u with a load of names which u could pick from.

Shando

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

All levels from A to C under the proposed new rules. It would be great to have you guys down send it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Fair play Barry, will be a big success i'm sure..
    Will be onto you with competitors for it also..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

All levels from A to C under the proposed new rules. It would be great to have you guys down send it on.

What gloves gonna be used for the new rules barry (for c class), gonna continue with the 4s or maybe something like this come in 6s and 7s

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Combat-Sports-MMA-Amateur-Competition-Gloves-p/csi-1002.htm

or these

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Combat-Sports-MMA-Safety-Sparring-Gloves-p/csi-1050.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I just have to say....I hope I get to be one of the first fighters punched in the face on the ground in Ireland...it would be such an honour.
    ehm......I'm afraid to point out quite a few of us have been punched in the face on the ground :P

Hi all,

Looking for fighters at all weights for new C class rules as well as some A and B class match ups too. barry@informedperformance.com with names please!

Some match ups already confirmed:
    C class (new "pro" C rules)
    Will Heffernan (informed performance) versus Kenneth Brett (SBGi) 93kg Lightheavy
    A lightheavyweight match up to shake the cage!

Grant "The Nuisance" Carroll (informed performance) versus Richie Edgeworth (Ryano)62kgs Bantamweight
    The ever improving Edgeworth takes on the palest man in MMA!

Przemek Mucha (informed performance) versus Rab Cooke (PCCB) 77kgs Welterweight
    Cooke will make the trip from Belfast to try to cut down the giant Pole (thank you, thank you, I'm here all week)

Glen "The Summerhill Survivor" Mulcahy (informed performance) versus James Higgins (PCCB) 62kg bantamweight
    Higgins was also the name of Magnum PI's butler.

After some thought I've decided to bring the show back to Whitehall Colmcille GAA club on Collins Avenue. It'll be in a cage and we're currently trying to get a venue for the aftershow to match the last one.

There'll also be a laser show by Jean Michel Jarre, dancing bears, a 3 ring circus and at the end of it all David Copperfield will make the venue dissappear. I've also managed to get the doctors from E.R. and Dougie Howser to do the medical cover.The judges will be Judge Judy, Simon Cowell and Judge Reinhold. The ring girls will be selected at random from the audience using a spud gun.

Will Heffernan (informed performance) versus Kenneth Brett (SBGi) 93kg Lightheavy
    A lightheavyweight match up to shake the cage!
    Are you trying to say that I'm fat?
    Higgins was also the name of Magnum PI's butler.
    Higgins was actually Robin Masters butler.

Higgins was actually Robin Masters butler.
    Very true, he was never technically in the employ of Magnum. I retract my earlier statement.

• Advertisement

More matches made, I'm just waiting on confirmation but here's one that is confirmed:

C
    Giedrius Meksarunas
    IPMMA
    Martynas Suslavicius
    Maynooth
    84kg

Two big guys involved in this C class bout. Using one of these two Lithuanian chappies would score you over 50 points in Scrabble, without the triple word score. However names are not allowed in Scrabble, so they will in fact score you nothing.

I'm also reliably informed that Suslavicius is a famous ketchup brand in Lithuania. Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

More matches made, I'm just waiting on confirmation but here's one that is confirmed:

C
    Giedrius Meksarunas
    IPMMA
    Martynas Suslavicius
    Maynooth
    84kg

Two big guys involved in this C class bout. Using one of these two Lithuanian chappies would score you over 50 points in Scrabble, without the triple word score. However names are not allowed in Scrabble, so they will in fact score you nothing.

I'm also reliably informed that Suslavicius is a famous ketchup brand in Lithuania. Can anyone confirm this?

Signed all the way in just to like this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

V25152L_p1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

i am not the palest man in mma.

i am not the palest man in mma.

Tied with me i think, so you are..

Some changes and some announcements of more fighting.

Turns out myself and John crossed wires, and now the Kenneth Brett vs. Will Heffernan match up will no longer be happening. "Boo" I hear you say. "Down with Barry" I hear you say. "Depose him" I hear you say. Well, read on.

Some other opponents have stepped in at more appropriate weights, and now I am happy to announce:

Kenneth Brett (SBGi) versus Niall Houston (PCCB) +93kgs C
    Look at that! Both of these guys are over 100kgs! I've already cracked my big man joke in an earlier announcement. You might say that I shot my wad on that one and now I'm left with a mess on my hands. Anyway, I'm expecting big things. Specifically that two big things will fight each other and entertain me.

Will Heffernan (IPMMA) versus Marius Lapenas (Shootfighters) -93kgs A
    Lapenas v Heffernan. Heffernan v Lapenas. Whichever way you put it, these two have a v between them. But who will take this v and place it on their metaphorical tile holder so as to make the word 'victory' on a subsequent turn? The Scrabble metaphors continue apace at The Fight Before Christmas!

Andreas Lovbrand (Hilti, Sweden) versus Paddy Hoolihan (SBGi) -62kgs A
    What a match up between two talented grapplers. Lovbrand literally translates as "Love Pants" which makes this contest even more intriguing. Paddy "The Hooligan" Hoolahan likes to hoolah while eating Hula Hoops. A man who loves pants last seen beating Irish dynamo Neil Seery, and a Hula Hoop loving Hooligan last seen crunching his way through the packet of potato snacks that is the Irish bantamweight division. What more could you ask for?

We've had some problems with the dancing bears. They're fine in the open, hunting salmon and such but once we brought them into an enclosed space there was some medium level mauling. So I'm afraid the half time show is cancelled. There will be lots of fights though. Stand by for the full card.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Tied with me i think, so you are..
    Yoda? Is that you?

More fights, in which people will battle for honour and cheeseburgers!*

Alan Kerslake (Rush) versus Brendan O'Shea (Midleton) 62kgs C
    The rumours are true! They are remaking the 6 million dollar man. In other unrelated news O'Shea (pronounced O'Shea) makes the journey from Langerland to take on North County Dublin man Kerslake. Who will take the crown! There is no crown! There should be a crown! Let me see what I can do about a crown.

Luke Corcoran (SBGi) versus Dee Murphy (PCCB) 70kgs C
    Corcoran is taking some time out of his hectic filming schedule on the 6 million dollar man to take on Belfast man Murphy. This has been called the most eagerly anticipated event Blanchardstown has experienced since they opened a new dole office in the Westside. Well plenty of your tax euros will be spent on seeing the Blanch man make his debut, but they might be a bit tender on the subject so probably best not to bring it up among Luke's fans.

* there will be no cheeseburgers.

More fights, in which people will battle for honour and cheeseburgers!
    Honour is something I can take or leave...I lived without it my whole life but cheeseburgers are a must.

Honour is something I can take or leave...I lived without it my whole life but cheeseburgers are a must.

I agree wholeheartedly Will.

Can cheeseburgers be a part of my rider/demands list?

Brendan.

• Advertisement

Yet another bout added. Expect plenty of fisticuffs and possibly grapplycuffs too:

Kieran O'Donnell (Tuatha De Dannan) versus Ryan Sloan (PCCB) 70kg C
    Coming from a gym not to be confused with 80s Irish band In Tua Nua, O'Donnell saddles up to make his way from Portlaoise to try to outdraw the gunslinger from Belfast. O'Donnell will be polishing his spurs in preparation, but will he be ready for the Ryan Sloan cowboy?

Big paragraph for one gag eh?

Just confirmed the fight of the year.

No joke.

Totally serious.

It's going to be great.

No joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

"ryan sloan cowboy" entrance on horseback perhaps to a little bit of glen campbell surely has to be in the small print after being christened that:D

Ryan Sloan cowboy is an impeccable piece of business Barry.

...the Ryan Sloan cowboy?

I don't think you can announce any more fights...you can't actually top that.

I can top that. Just you wait.

If you could dream up a fight, who would the competitors be? Myself, I'd have Linda Carter (as Wonderwoman) in her prime fighting Stacey from TJ Hooker in an 80s superfight. That would be a great match.

But that's never going to happen, except in the darkest recesses of my mind, but luckily, I get to put together fights that can come close. Without further ado, let me announce the main event for The Fight Before Christmas III!

Paul Cowzer (RFA) versus Tim Murphy (PBS) 66kg A
    Show me a man who doesn't want to see this fight, and I'll show you someone who knows nothing about Irish Mixed Martial Arts. Then I would take that man and patiently explain to him that these two guys are worth the admission price alone (a very reasonable €25 by the way). This fight has me so excited that I can't think of any puns on their names, which is worrying me a little. But I'm this excited...

The Fight Before Christmas III- The III stands for 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Ive just pooped with excitement.:D

Sounds like a snoozefest to me.

• Advertisement

The full fight card so far. Remember kids, every match at The Fight Before Christmas III will take place under the new agreed rules for mixed martial arts in Ireland, which means more ACTION when the fighters are grounded.

New C class rules matches
    Grant Carroll IPMMA versus Richie Edgeworth Ryano 62kg
    Przemek Mucha IPMMA versus Rab Cooke PCCB 77kg
    Glen Mulcahy IPMMA versus James Higgins PCCB 62kg
    Kenneth Brett SBG versus Niall Houston PCCB +93kg
    Luke Corcoran SBG versus Dee Murphy PCCB 70kg
    Giedrius Meksarunas IPMMA versus Martynas Suslavicius Shootfighters 84kg
    Alan Kerslake Rush versus Brendan O'Shea Midleton 62kg
    Kieran O'Donnell TDD versus Ryan Sloan PCCB 77kg

B class pro match
    Paddy Hoolahan SBG versus Andreas Lovbrand Hilti, Sweden 62kg

A class match up
    Will Heffernan IPMMA versus Marius Lapenas Shootfighters 93kg

A class prestige match up
    Paul Cowzer RFA versus Tim Murphy PBS 66kg

The full fight card so far. Remember kids, every match at The Fight Before Christmas III will take place under the new agreed rules for mixed martial arts in Ireland, which means more ACTION when the fighters are grounded.

New C class rules matches
    Grant Carroll IPMMA versus Richie Edgeworth Ryano 62kg
    Przemek Mucha IPMMA versus Rab Cooke PCCB 77kg
    Glen Mulcahy IPMMA versus James Higgins PCCB 62kg
    Kenneth Brett SBG versus Niall Houston PCCB +93kg
    Luke Corcoran SBG versus Dee Murphy PCCB 70kg
    Giedrius Meksarunas IPMMA versus Martynas Suslavicius Shootfighters 84kg
    Alan Kerslake Rush versus Brendan O'Shea Midleton 62kg
    Kieran O'Donnell TDD versus Ryan Sloan PCCB 77kg

B class pro match
    Paddy Hoolahan SBG versus Andreas Lovbrand Hilti, Sweden 62kg

A class match up
    Will Heffernan IPMMA versus Marius Lapenas Shootfighters 93kg

New rules? You told me that 'A class' just meant 'really good'? Is that not the case?

New rules? You told me that 'A class' just meant 'really good'? Is that not the case?
    No silly, the 'A' stands for Average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I was looking for Garry Morris but he wasn't available so Paul will have to do.

Should be an interesting fight all the same... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No disrespect to any of the other fighters, but after Paul's last show you'd want to be nuts to miss this one!.
    Tim_Murphy wrote: »

Maybe paul can change his name to Paul 'The Dump Truck' Cowzer for one show :p

Tim_Murphy wrote: »

:) i'll have to do this time Tim, Hopefully we have a good rumble and give the fans what they want to see... would be a shame if we never met so im delighted we get the chance to fight...

• Advertisement

Another C class mega match!

Joey "Joey" Breslin (SBG) versus Ross Fegan (Strange Wolves) 68kg catch
    What is strange about the Strange Wolves? Whenever I've met them they've seemed quite normal, which makes me think they must be hiding something. Ross Fegan is a Judo brown belt, which is very good. however we must all accept that saying he was a black belt would have made for better publicity. Joey Breslin is the mild mannered, floppy hat wearing grappling uberkind. Some say he gets his skills from those hats, which he knits himself from hair left on the mats in his gym. Others say that's not true. Ask him yourself at The Fight Before Christmas III. Two young lads looking to make their mark!

David From Poland (Strange Wolves) versus Sid Allen (PBS) 77kg
    Another Strange Wolf takes on a fellow Galway native. I can't think of anything better than sitting back and watching two men from Galway bring the action. I do it every time I'm in that beautiful city, though, in fairness, I'm usually eating a Supermacs at 3am when it happens. Well this time the men bring the action to Dublin, though I'm yet to get confirmation on whether they'll be bringing any food for me to eat while they fight. The whole show now has a distinct Galway tinge to it.

In other news, tickets are available from tomorrow. You can contact any of the fighters involved to get them or you can contact me using barry@informedperformance.com or 085-8320174

I know everyone says this but seriously, the venue is small, the capacity is limited, the tickets will fly out. I know all the Rush people will follow Cowzer to the venue like zombies, mashing their thumbless hands together in some vain attempt to pay in on the night, but I am expecting to sell out very early so please get your's soon to avoid dissappointment.

Really looking forward to it! Hope you are too.

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Another C class mega match!
    David From Poland (Strange Wolves) versus Sid Allen (PBS) 77kg
    Another Strange Wolf takes on a fellow Galway native.
    Dont know how pleased Sid would be to be called a Galway native;) He's a proud Athlone man.

Mate, this will take place on the Northside of Dublin. As long as it's outside the M50 ring, no one will know the difference. I have mates who don't know where Stillorgan is.

War breslinho!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

C'mon the bres!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Can't wait for this.
    Go on the Joey & Lukey!

2 more fighters required to complete the card. I'm looking for opponents for:

(0-1 at old "C") -93kg
    Debut B/C -62kg
    debut C -58kg

Let me know if anyone has anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Are you gonna be doing the announcing for the night Barry? If not, can you write hs materiel?!

2 more fighters required to complete the card. I'm looking for opponents for:

(0-1 at old "C") -93kg
    Debut B/C -62kg
    debut C -58kg

Let me know if anyone has anyone
    I'll exchange Marius for the guy at 93kg please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Philpott1mm4

So what are these new rules???????

So what are these new rules???????

C class, semi pro is basically B with 3x3min rounds and padded gloves used...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

cowzerp wrote: »
    C class, semi pro is basically B with 3x3min rounds and padded gloves used...

Glad you know the rules will come in handy lol;)

All joking aside I think a new post should be put up outlining the "new" rules (for those not in the know lol :rolleyes:)!!!!

Barry card looks fantastic, a good array of C Class prospects and should make for excellent nite of MMA - Best of Luck!

Urs
    x

Agree. There was an email discussion and all were agreed on the new rules format. Shane Thomas of Kokoro put all the data into a table so maybe he might start a thread with the new rules format in it.

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    Barry card looks fantastic, a good array of C Class prospects and should make for excellent nite of MMA - Best of Luck!
    Hopefully the Pro fights will be worth the entrance fee as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Hopefully the Pro fights will be worth the entrance fee as well :)

LOLOL :D

They might be;) There is exceptional talent there also in Paul, Tim, Paddy, Andreas and Marius (dont know about his opponent tho lol);)

Best of luck to you guys:cool:

Urs
    x

• Advertisement
Advertisement