Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Vodafone SIM for temp data use abroad

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I posted a question in another forum about using googlemaps abroad and limiting my costs etc. A few people recommended buying a vodafone SIM card. Has anyone done this before? I only need it for one trip. Do I just buy a vodafone SIM card? And lash a load of credit on it? I won't be using the minutes or texts. If I put, say, 50 euro on the card will that 50 be used for data or would I have to buy an addon. And can I just chuck the card away when finished? Do I have to give 30 days notice?

I know it probably seems like a stupid question but I've never used prepay abroad before (I am currently on meteor billpay with an unlocked htc desire)

Cheers for the info folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Aggie Plod

Yes I bought a vodafone sim for UK and recent holiday in Italy. You need to select vodafonelive! for internet but it gave me a choice to select that before I left Ireland.Price 99cent per day and I checked my balance and definately correct. I loaded in ~40 euro but didn't use it all. I also did call forwarding before I took my own sim out which worked out very well. It seems very reasonable and presumably the other networks will use a similar system soon I am not very tech savvy but this took no effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yes you can just buy a vodafone sim card and as Aggie Plod plod says you have to select the Vodafone Live access point to get the 99c per day rate.

The best way to use it is to create a new access point in your internet settings and just set the access point name (APN) as live.vodafone.com and leave everything else as the default. Doing that cuts out vodafone's pointless proxy that mangles your data for no reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'll echo what's said above but go one further. ask the guy in the vodafone shop to activate "vodafone 360" on your account for you. this will mean that when using the live access point that's mentioned above you'll get 100meg data for 39c a day.

then just topup whatever you'll need and throw the sim away after. if you've any credit left on the sim you can send it to a friend on vodafone using the vodafone iou buddy service too.

Advertisement