Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect a nokia to a pc options

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I just got a 7230 and didn’t think to look if there was a usb cable in the box. I rang the metoer store and they want €20 for a universal cable. I know I can get this cheaper on ebay etc, but I can’t wait till it arrives, would a Bluetooth adaptor from Argos do the same?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes that Argos Bluetooth USB adapter should do the trick, it's Bluetooth 2.1 which is the same as the 7230. Are you sure you don't have Bluetooth already on the PC? If it's a laptop for example there's a good chance that it's already there but not if it's a desktop.

BTW the '100m' range claim for the Argos 6.99 USB stick is BS, Bluetooth is designed for 10m, don't believe anything that claims more than this since in your case the Nokia won't do more than 10m anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes that Argos Bluetooth USB adapter should do the trick, it's Bluetooth 2.1 which is the same as the 7230. Are you sure you don't have Bluetooth already on the PC? If it's a laptop for example there's a good chance that it's already there but not if it's a desktop.

BTW the '100m' range claim for the Argos 6.99 USB stick is BS, Bluetooth is designed for 10m, don't believe anything that claims more than this since in your case the Nokia won't do more than 10m anyway.

I dont think I do, its a dell dimension 3100c, so nothing fancy.

Ah I seen that range thanks, but its basically to transfer pics to the pc and upgrade firmare, transfer ringtones etc. So ill have it on the desk beside the pc, its the cheapest option im looking for.

Are those bluetooth adaptors just plug and play, then pair them up with the phone ala the cable?

Yes the Bluetooth adapter should be plug and play though I'm not sure if Nokia will do a firmware upgrade over Bluetooth. Make sure to switch on Bluetooth on the phone and then Ovi Suite should do the rest.

Grand stuff, sure if it doesn't I doubt much will change that would make a difference to what ill use the phone for.

Update:
    Neither of the argos stores in Blanch had the bluetooth usb, so I went onto ebay and got the usb cable, car charger(that has some nokia pouch free with it) for like €18. Plus I know there's no messing with a cable(using it for years on motorola phones)

First meteor sell for the phone cheaper and throw in a bluetooth earpiece for free on their site and then you get two cables for the price of one on ebay. Seems the art of bricks and mortar shopping is a dying one. With some of the sales assistances attitudes im not one bit sorry.

Thanks again for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Nokia Software Updater doesn't work over Bluetooth, didn't for me anyway.

The 7230 doesn't come with a cable which is unusual. The only reason I can think of is because it seems like a girls phone and they are less inclined to be fiddling with gadgets :D:D

lol well ive googled it and a few people have said the meteor one is the only one not to have a cable.

Maybe in shocking pink its a girls phone, i got the manly grey and black one :P

Nothing to do with Meteor, my sister got one from Vodafone. Below is from Nokia.ie
    Standard Sales Package

* Nokia 7230 device
    * Nokia Stereo Headset WH-102
    * Nokia 2 GB microSD Card MU-37
    * Nokia Compact Charger AC-3
    * Nokia Battery BL-4CT
    * User guide

Ah right, silly how they dont throw it in, the cd for the software people can do with out. Roll on a standard charge/data usb connection.

Considering the micro-USB connector is used both for charging as well as data it's strange that they don't include it as standard.

• Advertisement

Yup, I had a motorola before this and the data cable used the mirco usb as did the charger.

They should look @ a data cable and then those plugs that take a usb connector and charge the device. So youll have a data cable and charger more or less in one.

Girlfriend has the X10 Mini and the charger has a USB port on it

14895462x.jpg

Nice one, now we need someone to implement them in ALL makes and models(some chance I know).

Advertisement